KX3 pics

Walt-2
try twitpic . .

http://twitpic.com/506j4e

there are others .

Walt - KC7CM

Re: KX3 pics

k4tmc

 Looks nice; but I would have expected a little lower profile knobs.

But, I am more interested in the KX3P100 with ATU...

73,
Henry - K4TMC

Re: KX3 pics

drewko
I would be a little worried about damaging in transit the knobs or
display on such a portable little rig. A snap-on or removable hinged
hardshell front panel cover might be useful. (Actually, wouldn't mind
having same for my K3...)

73,
Drew
AF2Z

On Fri, 20 May 2011 15:24:42 -0400, you wrote:

> Looks nice; but I would have expected a little lower profile knobs.
>
>But, I am more interested in the KX3P100 with ATU...
>
>73,
>Henry - K4TMC

Re: KX3 pics

wayne burdick
Administrator
In the works.

----
http://www.elecraft.com

On May 20, 2011, at 10:18 PM, drewko <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I would be a little worried about damaging in transit the knobs or
> display on such a portable little rig. A snap-on or removable hinged
> hardshell front panel cover might be useful. (Actually, wouldn't mind
> having same for my K3...)
>
> 73,
> Drew
> AF2Z
>

> On Fri, 20 May 2011 15:24:42 -0400, you wrote:
>

>> Looks nice; but I would have expected a little lower profile knobs.
>>
>> But, I am more interested in the KX3P100 with ATU...
>>
>> 73,
>> Henry - K4TMC

Re: KX3 pics

Rick Dettinger-3
The front panel cover would be nice, but a Pelican box can give ample
protection, also.  A different way of accomplishing the same thing.
And, also, a good way of keeping the whole kit together.

73,
Rick Dettinger   K7MW

On May 20, 2011, at 7:18 PM, drewko wrote:

> I would be a little worried about damaging in transit the knobs or
> display on such a portable little rig. A snap-on or removable hinged
> hardshell front panel cover might be useful. (Actually, wouldn't mind
> having same for my K3...)
>
> 73,
> Drew
> AF2Z
>

> On Fri, 20 May 2011 15:24:42 -0400, you wrote:
>

>> Looks nice; but I would have expected a little lower profile knobs.
>>
>> But, I am more interested in the KX3P100 with ATU...
>>
>> 73,
>> Henry - K4TMC

Re: KX3 pics

Raymond Sills
That little carry-case that held the KX3 was pretty nifty, too.
Great presentation.  What a wonderful radio!

73 de Ray
K2ULR

On May 20, 2011, at 10:25 PM, Wayne Burdick wrote:

> In the works.

> ----
> http://www.elecraft.com
>
> On May 20, 2011, at 10:18 PM, drewko <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I would be a little worried about damaging in transit the knobs or
>> display on such a portable little rig. A snap-on or removable hinged
>> hardshell front panel cover might be useful. (Actually, wouldn't mind
>> having same for my K3...)
>>
>> 73,
>> Drew
>> AF2Z
>>

>> On Fri, 20 May 2011 15:24:42 -0400, you wrote:
>>

>>> Looks nice; but I would have expected a little lower profile knobs.
>>>
>>> But, I am more interested in the KX3P100 with ATU...
>>>
>>> 73,
>>> Henry - K4TMC

>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: KX3 pics

Byron Servies
Pelican cases are great!  I have several.

But, they are far too heavy for backpacking.  Just a cover to protect
the knobs while in the pack would be just the ticket.

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 7:29 PM, Rick Dettinger <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The front panel cover would be nice, but a Pelican box can give ample
> protection, also.  A different way of accomplishing the same thing.
> And, also, a good way of keeping the whole kit together.

73, Byron N6NUL
----
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2011 Cal QSO Party 1-2 Oct 2011
- www.cqp.org

Re: KX3 pics

George Cortez Jr
Wow what a rig! Need one for the mobile!

George

On May 20, 2011, at 10:29 PM, Ray Sills <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That little carry-case that held the KX3 was pretty nifty, too.
> Great presentation.  What a wonderful radio!
>
> 73 de Ray
> K2ULR
>
> On May 20, 2011, at 10:25 PM, Wayne Burdick wrote:
>
>> In the works.

>> ----
>> http://www.elecraft.com
>>
>> On May 20, 2011, at 10:18 PM, drewko <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I would be a little worried about damaging in transit the knobs or
>>> display on such a portable little rig. A snap-on or removable hinged
>>> hardshell front panel cover might be useful. (Actually, wouldn't mind
>>> having same for my K3...)
>>>
>>> 73,
>>> Drew
>>> AF2Z

>>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: KX3 pics

TF3KX
Somewhat less protuding knobs, as well as a "thinner" dial knob would be more balanced with the rest of the unit, and would also be less vulnerable for transportation.

73 - Kristinn, TF3KX

Re: KX3 pics

juergen piezo
Hi Kristin

Some of those 3rd party side lids with handles, like those available for the K2 might provide the needed protection. Maybe Elecraft will offer 19 inch rack style handles or bumper side lids for the KX3. Might make it look a bit hitech and mil-spec.

A small canopy hood  that offers some shade  from sunlight might be another way of protecting the panel.

A small  IP rated sealed hinge lid  might be another option. I use them on my sailboat and they are readily available from boat shops. They are stereo radio DIN size. Other sizes are also available.

When all the accessories are planned for the KX3 it would be nice if all of them fitted into the standard Mil impact rack  cases. I am sure the EMCOMM guys will love that as a option. It would also make it convenient to store all the KX3 accessories. They a much better option than the standard Pelican case.

A smaller thinner VFO knob like those found on the HP spectrum analyzers and some medical equipment might be another alternative. It would have been great if  the KX3's VFO knob could be somehow locked back into the panel on some sort of spring lock cam arrangement. Anyway all expensive engineering that most would not want to pay for! Besides its too late now, the prototype has been already cast!

What I also would like to see is the ability maybe to use the H-250U mil manpack handset.  Some sort of patch cable  that allows connection to the Mil U-229 connector would be neat. That would be easy to homebrew.

I am imagining already that I   own the KX3! Although I would need 20 watts of output power  to make me get rid of my AEG SE6861 HF manpack

73
John