KX3 pics

Mike Morrow-3
I suspect that the mechanical/industrial and even electrical design of the KX3
must be pretty well set by now if there's to be any chance of it reaching market
before next year.  Some of the recent suggestions would require design alterations
that probably seem small to the suggester but would likely be quite considerable
this late.

As proposed, it's such a profoundly innovative and capable set that one can't
help being more than satisfied and astonished by what's pictured and described
in the preliminary product announcement.  It's the most amazing radio I've seen
in 44 years as a ham, including the stuff I saw when I was in the military.

So, here's **all** (my complete list!) I'd like to see considered:
(1)  As suggested earlier, lower profile knobs (by about 50 percent) would seem
     most appropriate for something not likely to live in stationary luxury.
     It'll get toted everywhere...front panel stresses will be unavoidable.
     Knobs and control shafts will be the areas of greatest potential stress
     and damage.  Lower profile (length) knobs reduce the exposure and moment arm
     on the shafts.  At least, this could be an option.
(2)  A hard plastic clamshell that snapped on over the front panel when in transit
     would be a welcome option.  It could even have a compartment for the paddle,
     stereo earbuds, a small microphone, and an external DC cable without increasing
     the volume needed to completely cover the controls, creating an enclosed "brick".
     Make it simple.  I don't like the concept of an optional hard case with foam for
     the KX3.  That would be great as luggage, I guess, but it would create a package
     several times the volume and weight of the KX3.  Such an item could not be
     happily used on backpack trips or even day hikes.  Something is needed that adds
     marginally to the volume and weight of the KX3 while providing some protection
     in a pack.
(3)  Grill cloth behind the speaker grill plate is needed.  I'll bet that's planned,
     but the speaker cone was visible on the examples at Dayton.  The space between
     speaker and grill is a potential accumulator of crud unless there is cloth as
     a barrier.  It provides a little more protection for the cone, and it just looks
     a lot better.

Mike / KK5F