KX3 single lever key

KH7T
Is anyone contemplating a single lever key for the KXPD3 mounting?

Perhaps a firmware option with dots on one side and dashes on the other
side with no iambic action would work.  The logic would ignore opposite
side closure until after release of the first closure.  I believe this
would function almost exactly the same as my single lever Vibroplex
plugged in to the key jack.

I am an old style extra with poor keying dexterity.  I just about
completely lost my sending capability trying for several years to learn
to use Iambic keying.  I am slowly regaining sending capability with the
single lever key.  This works better for me than the J38.

What do others who feel iambic challenged think?  I have always been
able to receive much better than send even with much practice.

73,
John KH7T

Re: KX3 single lever key

Don Wilhelm-4
I have similar difficulty John, those *#%! alternating dits and dahs are
just not for me.
I can use a dual lever paddle if the keying is Ultimatic - no
alternating, and the last paddle closed gets priority.

So Wayne, if enough of us beg, can you add Ultimatic keying? Especially
desired for the KX3.

On 7/16/2012 2:22 PM, John Buck wrote:

> Is anyone contemplating a single lever key for the KXPD3 mounting?
>
> Perhaps a firmware option with dots on one side and dashes on the other
> side with no iambic action would work.  The logic would ignore opposite
> side closure until after release of the first closure.  I believe this
> would function almost exactly the same as my single lever Vibroplex
> plugged in to the key jack.
>
> I am an old style extra with poor keying dexterity.  I just about
> completely lost my sending capability trying for several years to learn
> to use Iambic keying.  I am slowly regaining sending capability with the
> single lever key.  This works better for me than the J38.
>
> What do others who feel iambic challenged think?  I have always been
> able to receive much better than send even with much practice.
>
> 73,
> John KH7T

Re: KX3 single lever key

Bill W4ZV
KH7T wrote
Is anyone contemplating a single lever key for the KXPD3 mounting?
No KX3 here yet but I made one for my ATS-3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wutov8MVr6Q

Maybe this will give you some ideas.

73,  Bill  W4ZV

Re: KX3 single lever key

Rick Tavan N6XI
Have you tried a small clip or wire to bind the two levers of the KXPD3
together so that they move in concert? That would be pretty close to a
single lever paddle.

/Rick

--
Rick Tavan N6XI
Truckee, CA

Re: KX3 single lever key

W7GJ, Lance
Very neat job!   VY 73, Lance

http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

--
Lance Collister, W7GJ
(ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ)

Interested in 6m EME?  Ask me about subscribing to the Magic Band EME
page (above)!

Re: KX3 single lever key

stan levandowski
Hello list!   My name is Stan WB2LQF. Besides my *real* claim to fame as
the proud owner of "Electrocraft" K1, K2, K3, KX1, and KX3 (#0325)
products, I also am friends with Ulrich Steinberg (N2DE/DJ8GO) and Piero
Begali (I2RTF).  Piero and Ulrich have developed a prototype for a
paddle that will mate with the KX3 and I will have the honor of testing
this prototype beginning in the next couple of weeks or so.  The small
size of the KX3 paddle is a challenge but it is not unreasonable for
them to at least "try" to incorporate the ability for single lever ops.
The Begali "Leonessa" currently allows for single paddle operation from
an iambic key with just a couple turns of a screw,  so a production
"solution" presently exists.  I have been given permission to disclose
this information from Ulrich N2DE.

73, Stan WB2LQF
www.wb2lqf.com
K1#2994    K2# 6980    K3#5244    KX1 #2411     KX3#0325     K9#1 (Cocoa
the Chihuahua)

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 4:27 PM, Bill W4ZV wrote:

> KH7T wrote
>>
>> Is anyone contemplating a single lever key for the KXPD3 mounting?

Re: KX3 single lever key

KY7K
Add my begging and pleading for Ultimatic mode in the KX3 and K3 if at all possible!!

On Jul 16, 2012, at 11:36 AM, Don Wilhelm wrote:

> I have similar difficulty John, those *#%! alternating dits and dahs are
> just not for me.
> I can use a dual lever paddle if the keying is Ultimatic - no
> alternating, and the last paddle closed gets priority.
>
> So Wayne, if enough of us beg, can you add Ultimatic keying? Especially
> desired for the KX3.
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR
> On 7/16/2012 2:22 PM, John Buck wrote: