KX3

Edward R Cole
Wayne,

Considering these requests from Lance:

1)  Since there is only the one antenna connection for HF/6m,
probably one needs a RF switched preamp or using two coax relays to
bypass the preamp when transmitting.  Since Lance and I probably
would be running external power amps this is not hard to do.
2)  RTS/DTR connections for PTT control is really more important
since just about all soundcard sw use the RS-232 lines for
controlling PTT/Keying in the radio.  So the special serial cable
with "broke-out lines" to control PTT at the mic connector is
important.  I suppose separate line-in/out will not be available on
the KX3 requiring use of mic and speaker connections.

Of course if direct I-Q data output is availabl, then the receive
audio is not used.

Ed - KL7UW

------------------------------

Message: 18
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 11:32:58 -0700
From: Wayne Burdick <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] KX3
To: [hidden email]

Hi Lance,

 > ...wanted to ask if there would/could be some way to:
 >
 > 1. Add an external preamp for 6m, as is done with the K3.  If I am
 > to use this as a portable radio for 6m EME DXpeditions, it will be
 > imperative to be able to add a preamp in the receive line.

We can't tap into the KX3's internal RX path directly. However, a
preamp could be inserted externally in conjunction with a T/R switch.
We have enough general-purpose outputs on the KX3 to control such a
unit. Also, we're looking into the possibility of integrating a 6-
meter LNA into the BPF array to obtain a very low 6-m NF.

 > 2. Control the PTT line on the KX3 from the computer's Serial Port
 > RTS or CTS lines.  JT65A switches the radio into transmit by first
  ...snip...
 > switching anything.  This works great in the K3, and I hope there
 > will be the same logic in the KX3.

You'd have to split the RTS or CTS line out from the computer's RS232
connector and route it to the mic jack's PTT line. If there were
enough demand for such a cable, we might offer one as an option.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

73, Ed - KL7UW, WD2XSH/45