KX3 vs K3 etc.

John Ragle
Jim...

     It is a serious mistake to compare the KX3 with the Flex 3000. I
have owned a K2 and a K3, and intend to get a KX3 as soon as they become
available. I have also owned a Flex 3000.

The Flex 3000 has several very serious flaws. (These are not matters of
opinion.)

1. The antenna tuning unit in the Flex 3000 will not handle even
well-matched antennas at 10 or 6 meters. This is because the designers
skimped on components and the L/C values that are switched in/out to
achieve matching are too coarse to give a good match on the higher
frequency bands.

2. The unit was advertised as QSK (break-in) capable, but it is not. It
acts more like those older rigs that were advertised as "semi-break-in"
capable. To anyone who operates serious CW this is a bad blemish.

3. I found that the keyer circuitry in my Flex 3000 would not properly
follow my paddles, and that I had to do CW from the computer keyboard.
This is not necessarily a bad thing, but it is surprising, to say the
least. I do not have this problem with myK3, and did not have it with my
K2 or my TenTec rigs, so it can not be blamed on geriatric ineptitude.

4. The Flex 3000 uses a IEEE 1394 (Fire Wire) interface to the computer,
and set-up is arcane, to say the least. One needs a pair of virtual
audio channels, and I found that I had to repeat the set-up about once
or twice a month because it would simply lock up or quite working. This
is quite annoying when it happens in the middle of a QSO, as the set-up
takes several minutes to accomplish. (I should remark that I am using a
fairly up-to-date computer and OS.)

In summary, it looks to me like the Flex 3000 was destined (and
designed) to be a rig for SSB or AM operators on the low-frequency bands.

John Ragle -- W1ZI

=====

James Muldoon wrote:

Hi, I'm new to HF and am looking at the KX3. On the video online at
Elecraft the owner or developer stated that the performance of the KX3
will be similair to the Flex 3000 sdr but with some twists. I'm not
really sure what performance specs he's referring to. Also, how do you
think the performance of the KX3 will be compared to the K3? thanks

Re: KX3 vs K3 etc.

Tony Estep
On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 1:46 PM, John Ragle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 1...2...3...4...
>
> ========
Jim, as a Flex 3000 owner I'll attest that the comments John makes about
the3000 are 100% correct. The KX3 will be a 10-watt highly portable rig, and
as such will be in a quite different category, but it will certainly meet a
higher standard of ham performance than the 3000.

Something that hasn't been mentioned, but probably should be, is that the
KX3 will have I-Q outputs. I am interpreting this to mean that you can use
it with PSDR-IF, an excellent panadaptor program that gives the same display
that one gets from the Flex radios. I use it LP-Pan and my K3, and like it
very much. With the KX3, you won't need the LP-Pan. I am really excited
about the KX3 and can't wait to get my hands on one........

73,
Tony KT0NY

--
http://www.isb.edu/faculty/facultydir.aspx?ddlFaculty=352