KX3PD missing some "dits" (?)

stan levandowski
Is anyone else seeing the following:  KXPD3 randomly fails to produce a
*beginning* "dit" - happens infrequently; perhaps once or twice every
couple hundred characters.  Issue does *not* occur with external paddle
via key jack on left side.

Keying speed does not seem to be a factor.

Only happens with a "beginning" dit -- almost like a delay after
pressing the "dit" paddle.  Very random.    "Dah" paddle not involved;
unaffected.

Here's how to make it happen (if it's going to happen at all to you) --
repeatedly send a string of H's or 5's -- you may have to send 50 or a
hundred.  If you have the problem I have, you will note that at the
point of failure, your thumb is pressing on the dit paddle with the same
even pressure but nothing is happening.  Then, suddenly, the dits
resume.  Best described as a "random delay" in commencing the dits.

Please - no jokes about "operator error"  -- this is really happening.
And NO, I did not break the paddle (yet) with my heavy fist.  It's less
than two days old     ;)

73, Stan WB2LQF  (KX3 0325)

Re: KX3PD missing some "dits" (?)

Don Wilhelm-4
Stan,

Information from Wayne on May 15 is below - try it.

A few KXPD3 users have found that the paddles operated intermittently.
This can be easily corrected.

First, completely remove one of the paddle thumbscrews. Next, using a
drill bit that's somewhat larger than the #4 hole, add a *very* slight
bevel (countersink) to the hole. This will remove a small amount of
the black anodizing, allowing the thumbscrew to make consistent
electrical contact with the keyer paddle housing. (The thumbscrew's
post flares slightly where it joins the face; the flared area will
contact the bevel in the aluminum.)

We've already added this step for KXPD3s shipped starting today.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

On 6/9/2012 8:08 PM, stan levandowski wrote:
> Is anyone else seeing the following:  KXPD3 randomly fails to produce a
> *beginning* "dit" - happens infrequently; perhaps once or twice every
> couple hundred characters.  Issue does *not* occur with external paddle
> via key jack on left side.

Re: KX3PD missing some "dits" (?)

stan levandowski

Don, thanks.  I guess I missed this.  Also my KX3 was shipped on June 4
and arrived on June 7.  According to Wayne's note, mine should have been
modified prior to shipment, but I'll check it out anyway tomorrow.  Many
thanks, Stan WB2LQF

On Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 5:29 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:

[...]

If that does not fix it, it is time to contact support.

On 6/9/2012 8:34 PM, stan levandowski wrote:

> Don, thanks.  I guess I missed this.  Also my KX3 was shipped on June 4
> and arrived on June 7.  According to Wayne's note, mine should have been
> modified prior to shipment, but I'll check it out anyway tomorrow.  Many
> thanks, Stan WB2LQF
>
> On Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 5:29 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:
>
>    Stan,
>
> Information from Wayne on May 15 is below - try it.
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR
> A few KXPD3 users have found that the paddles operated
> intermittently.
> This can be easily corrected.
>
> First, completely remove one of the paddle thumbscrews. Next, using
> drill bit that's somewhat larger than the #4 hole, add a * very * slight
> bevel (countersink) to the hole. This will remove a small amount of
> the black anodizing, allowing the thumbscrew to make consistent
> electrical contact with the keyer paddle housing. (The thumbscrew's
> post flares slightly where it joins the face; the flared area will
> contact the bevel in the aluminum.)
>
> We've already added this step for KXPD3s shipped starting today.
>
> 73,
> Wayne
> N6KR

Re: KX3PD missing some "dits" (?)

stan levandowski

Don, that was a very quick and effective fix.  Just had a nice QSO on
40M with the KXPD3 paddles and no problems at all now.
   73, Stan WB2LQF
[...]

  Don, I *thought*  Wayne's fix had solved the problem but it's back
"big time" and still only affects the dits.  I was so confident I'd
solved it that I took the KX3 to the top of an 1800' mountain today and
made two QSOs that were full of sending errors.  I decided to QRT early
and preserve what remained of my reputation as a CW op.  I was so
confident that I didn't bring a spare key along.    On the plus side the
KX3 was a joy to use and a K3 op in TN thought it sounded real good.
Tomorrow I'll call Elecraft Service and see what they want me to do.
[...]

wayne burdick
Administrator
Stan,

Sorry to hear this. You might try removing some of the black anodizing
around the other thumb screw hole, too. This seems to have worked in
all cases that I know of. If not, we'll get you a new KXPD3 ASAP.

Wayne
N6KR