KXPA100- AT - can the antenna tuner be activate without the amp?

KXPA100- AT - can the antenna tuner be activate without the amp?

mike
Does anyone know if the auto tuner in the KXPAT00-AT can be used without making the amp output. My idea is that I want to use the KX3 low power usually and only kick in the 100 watt amp when needed. I do have the auto tuner in the KX3 but I am foreseeing some issues (mostly operator) with two auto tuners in the line. My thought was to disable the KX3's AT and use the one in the amp instead. .. mike AI6II

Re: KXPA100- AT - can the antenna tuner be activate without the amp?

Dick Dievendorff-4
Merry Christmas, Mike!

Yes.  The behavior you're asking for is the current KX3/KXPA100
implementation when you enable KX3 "PA MODE".

The KX3's power knob then ranges from 0 to around 100 watts. The KXPA100
power amplifier is bypassed at power levels that the KX3 alone can provide,
using the KXAT100 antenna tuner in the KXPA100.

The KXPA100's power amplifier can be bypassed by the KX3.

When you turn the KX3 power knob up above the power provided by a KX3, the
KXPA100's power amplifier is enabled, and the KX3 reduces its drive to the
level required to provide that power from the KXPA100.

The KXPA100 amplifier has a "PA bypass" relay in addition to the "ATU
bypass" available with its optional KXAT100 antenna tuner. KX3 firmware
controls the KXPA100 PA bypass relay depending on the power you request with
the KX3 power control.

I try to always qualify "bypassed" as "PA bypass" or "ATU bypass" because we
have both...

73 de Dick, K6KR

Re: KXPA100- AT - can the antenna tuner be activate without the amp?

mike
Thanks, Dick. Somehow I knew the geniuses at Elecraft would work it out right.

73  ..mike  AI6II