KXPD1 and Loctite 242

Moe

KXPD1 and Loctite 242

Moe
Being a connoisseur of the various grades of Loctite, frustration with the loosening of the KXPD1 thumbscrew tempts me to use a drop of #242, know as, and the color of, "blue."  This is the "removable" grade.  My question is, has anyone here (especially W3FPR) used this successfully?

73 de Moe
AB8XA

Re: KXPD1 and Loctite 242

Don Wilhelm-4
  Moe,

I would shudder to think of locktite of any variety being used on the
KXPD1 thumbscrew - you just might want to remove it someday.  Removable
is just not that much "removable" - it works for things that need
wrenches to remove, but the thumbscrew is a small diameter.
Newer KXPD1s come with an internal toothed lockwasher that can be
optionally used instead of the normal flat lockwasher, so you might want
to give that a try instead - use a #6 lockwasher, and beef it down with
your strongest fingers, it should hold.

On 2/12/2011 8:16 PM, Moe wrote:
> Being a connoisseur of the various grades of Loctite, frustration with the
> loosening of the KXPD1 thumbscrew tempts me to use a drop of #242, know as,
> and the color of, "blue."  This is the "removable" grade.  My question is,
> has anyone here (especially W3FPR) used this successfully?
>
> 73 de Moe
> AB8XA

Re: KXPD1 and Loctite 242

gm3sek
Moe wrote:
>Being a connoisseur of the various grades of Loctite, frustration with
>the loosening of the KXPD1 thumbscrew tempts me to use a drop of #242,
>know as, and the color of, "blue."  This is the "removable" grade. My
>question is, has anyone here (especially W3FPR) used this successfully?

The 'blue' grades of Loctite are designed to allow removal with hand
tools, and 242/243 is superb for antennas and rotators. However, these
grades may be too strong for use with very small screws.

Maybe you could try one of the 'pink' grades of Loctite which are
specifically designed for small instrument screws and clock repairs.

--

73 from Ian GM3SEK
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek