KXPD3 paddle "surprise" benefit

stan levandowski
The KX3 optional paddle will *not* be going on the shelf after all!  I
figured out I can leave it attached to the KX3 at all times and set the
speed control to 30 wpm.  Then I set the menu item "CW Key 1" to "HAND"
and I can plug in my bug, 'swiper, or straight key at the same time.

This allows me to enjoy my manual keys but still be instantly ready to
competitively drop in my call if I happen to tune across some desireable
DX who is not interested in waiting for me to readjust my bug's speed
weight, or isn't in the mood for my marginal 'swiper fist or my
"seen-its-better-days" straight key sending.

This is a real convenient set-up on the KX3.   Little paddle is always
there waiting for duty.   It hasn't gotten in my way yet!

The K3 has separate key and paddle inputs so I can do the same thing, of
course,  but then I need to remember to set  two keys side-by-side on
the operating desk which takes up room.

This can't be done with the KX1, K1, or K2 because there's only a single
menu-controlled key input.

73, Stan WB2LQF
www.wb2lqf.com

Re: KXPD3 paddle "surprise" benefit

Rick Tavan N6XI
On Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 1:10 PM, stan levandowski <[hidden email]>wrote:

> The K3 has separate key and paddle inputs so I can do the same thing, of
> course,  *but then I need to remember to set  two keys side-by-side on
> the operating desk which takes up room*.

I solve this by putting all the "big" gear on a shelf supported by 2x4's on
edge. Then "little" stuff like paddles, bug, key, SO2R controller, etc. all
fit UNDER the shelf. It took no time at all to get my wrist used to the
slightly higher VFO knob. At my contest shack, there is also a higher shelf
above the transceivers to hold rotor controls, antenna switches, etc.

> This can't be done with the KX1, K1, or K2 because there's only a single
> menu-controlled key input.

There is a published trick using a couple of diodes to fit the K2 with
separate paddle and key inputs.

/Rick N6XI

--
Rick Tavan N6XI