Kenwood HS-5

Martin-2
The Kenwood HS-5 headphones are designed for radio communications and
sound very good with the K3.
They are mono but it is easy to convert them to stereo.
The cord has 3 wires: ground, left speaker, right speaker.
Left and right speakers are wired together in the mono plug AND in the
earpiece where the cord goes in.
Open the earpiece: Use a tool that won't leave scratches on the
earpiece. Pry off the perforated metal cover being careful not to damage
it. Pry off the plastic cover, it is held in place by 2 clamps. You will
feel where they are. Use gentle force.
Cut the red wires off the speaker, solder them together then insulate them.
Leave the white and black wires in place. I would not solder the red
wire off, it is too big a danger to unsolder the very very thin wire
going from the PCB to the innards of the speaker. Re-assemble.
Replace the Mono-plug with a stereo plug. Solder the black wire to the
ground ring. Red wire to tip and white wire to the middle ring, or vice
versa, depending on which side you like to have the "right" channel AND
on which side you like to have the cord.

You'll be rewarded with plenty of audio and good sound.

Martin

--

73, DM4iM

Re: Kenwood HS-5

W3FLH
Martin, very glad I found your post! Just did the conversion on my HS-5’s, to
take advantage of my K3’sub rcvr, but I was following the Hints & Kinks
article from QST (Jan, 05).  He never mentioned the extremely fine speaker
connecting wire, and I ended up de-soldering the white side, and breaking
the red side - drove me nuts for about two hours!  All continuity checked
out, with absolutely no sound from the headphones.

A search turned up your post, and the note about the ‘very, very thin’
leads, and another check confirmed I had done exactly what you had warned
against.  I resoldered both sides, and I now have my favorite ‘phones back,
in stereo!  Truly thankful to you.

Tony W3FLH

--
Sent from: http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/