Kenwood TS 480 hx and KPA500

Geno Munari

Hi
I have a Kenwood TS-480 and run a Remoterig (Microbit) and want to ad an amplifier that will do automatic band switching, or band switching controlled by the radio control head.  I called Elecraft Technical support and could not get a definitive answer if the Elecraft KPA500 amp will work for this purpose.  The extremely pleasant tech support agent suggested I sign up for this email list.  So here I am.  I am ready to buy an amp and would appreciate anyone 's suggestions and assistance.

Most sincerely,

Gene  K7MGM

Re: Kenwood TS 480 hx and KPA500

Don Wilhelm-4
Gene,

I would believe the KPA500 will work quite nicely for you.  Here is an
Excerpt from the manual's Introduction section:
"The KPA500 can be used with nearly any transceiver, thanks to its
instantaneous RF-based band switching, advanced protection circuitry,
adjustable ALC, and extensive parametric monitoring. It also has inputs
that allow direct band switching from many popular transceivers. T/R is
completely noise-free thanks to the use of PIN-diode switching."

There is an optional RS232 (XCVR) jack to connnect the KPA500 to a
Kenwood transceiver.

Download the manual from the Elecraft website and read the entire
section and setup information an decide for yourself.