Key Down Amps

Bill Levy
All Alpha amps ever made are key down amps. I can attest to that truth
since 1978.

I have a Henry 3KX that is and has been since 1986.

I can't speak for the others. There really is no need for Elecraft to build
a key down amp.
They would only be redeveloping the wheel. That is foolish if you are
building cutting edge transceivers that have best in class receivers.

I own my K3 because they built the best receiver. I don't expect them to be
my big amp company.
I am delighted that they built a small amp that knocked the 30L-1 out after
50 years.

If you want to buy a great radio you buy the best receiver first. It's
wonderful that the transmitters come along with them these days.

Everything else comes later. Mix and match folks. These guys can't be
everything to every dreamer out there.

73, Bill N2WL

Re: Key Down Amps

David Gilbert

I'm surprised we haven't seen requests asking Elecraft to make a monitor
as a companion for the P3, or an Elecraft  keyboard for digital modes.
Some people either simply value form over function and damn the cost, or
they have no comprehension of the effect of economy of scale on price
versus performance.

Dave  AB7E

On 2/24/2012 7:00 PM, William Levy wrote:

> All Alpha amps ever made are key down amps. I can attest to that truth
> since 1978.
>
> I have a Henry 3KX that is and has been since 1986.
>
> I can't speak for the others. There really is no need for Elecraft to build
> a key down amp.
> They would only be redeveloping the wheel. That is foolish if you are
> building cutting edge transceivers that have best in class receivers.
>
> I own my K3 because they built the best receiver. I don't expect them to be
> my big amp company.
> I am delighted that they built a small amp that knocked the 30L-1 out after
> 50 years.
>
> If you want to buy a great radio you buy the best receiver first. It's
> wonderful that the transmitters come along with them these days.
>
> Everything else comes later. Mix and match folks. These guys can't be
> everything to every dreamer out there.
>

> 73, Bill N2WL

Re: Key Down Amps

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Administrator
??  That's exactly what the P3SVGA provides :-)

Eric

www.elecraft.com
_..._

On Feb 24, 2012, at 6:36 PM, David Gilbert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm surprised we haven't seen requests asking Elecraft to make a monitor
> as a companion for the P3, or an Elecraft  keyboard for digital modes.
> Some people either simply value form over function and damn the cost, or
> they have no comprehension of the effect of economy of scale on price
> versus performance..
>
> Dave  AB7E
>

> On 2/24/2012 7:00 PM, William Levy wrote:
>> All Alpha amps ever made are key down amps. I can attest to that truth
>> since 1978.
>>
>> I have a Henry 3KX that is and has been since 1986.
>>
>> I can't speak for the others. There really is no need for Elecraft to build
>> a key down amp.
>> They would only be redeveloping the wheel. That is foolish if you are
>> building cutting edge transceivers that have best in class receivers.
>>
>> I own my K3 because they built the best receiver. I don't expect them to be
>> my big amp company.
>> I am delighted that they built a small amp that knocked the 30L-1 out after
>> 50 years.
>>
>> If you want to buy a great radio you buy the best receiver first. It's
>> wonderful that the transmitters come along with them these days.
>>
>> Everything else comes later. Mix and match folks. These guys can't be
>> everything to every dreamer out there.
>>

>> 73, Bill N2WL

Re: Key Down Amps

Bob-270
Hi Dave,

               We do not have to ask for an Elecraft keyboard.  It has already
been "semi"
announced or hinted at.  See the write up on the P3 SVGA card, it is mentioned
there.
Says, " also includes an interface for our future USB keyboard option".

73,
Bob
K2TK

On 2/24/2012 9:36 PM, David Gilbert wrote:
> I'm surprised we haven't seen requests asking Elecraft to make a monitor
> as a companion for the P3, or an Elecraft  keyboard for digital modes.
> Some people either simply value form over function and damn the cost, or
> they have no comprehension of the effect of economy of scale on price
> versus performance.
>
> Dave  AB7E

Re: Key Down Amps

David Gilbert

Not that I'm aware of.  I'm talking about the actual monitor ... large
LCD screen, etc.

Dave   AB7E

On 2/24/2012 8:27 PM, Eric Swartz WA6HHQ - Elecraft wrote:

> ??  That's exactly what the P3SVGA provides :-)
>
> Eric
>
> www.elecraft.com
> _..._
>

> On Feb 24, 2012, at 6:36 PM, David Gilbert<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> I'm surprised we haven't seen requests asking Elecraft to make a monitor
>> as a companion for the P3, or an Elecraft  keyboard for digital modes.
>> Some people either simply value form over function and damn the cost, or
>> they have no comprehension of the effect of economy of scale on price
>> versus performance..
>>
>> Dave  AB7E
>>

>> On 2/24/2012 7:00 PM, William Levy wrote:
>>> All Alpha amps ever made are key down amps. I can attest to that truth
>>> since 1978.
>>>
>>> I have a Henry 3KX that is and has been since 1986.
>>>
>>> I can't speak for the others. There really is no need for Elecraft to build
>>> a key down amp.
>>> They would only be redeveloping the wheel. That is foolish if you are
>>> building cutting edge transceivers that have best in class receivers.
>>>
>>> I own my K3 because they built the best receiver. I don't expect them to be
>>> my big amp company.
>>> I am delighted that they built a small amp that knocked the 30L-1 out after
>>> 50 years.
>>>
>>> If you want to buy a great radio you buy the best receiver first. It's
>>> wonderful that the transmitters come along with them these days.
>>>
>>> Everything else comes later. Mix and match folks. These guys can't be
>>> everything to every dreamer out there.
>>>

>>> 73, Bill N2WL
>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Key Down Amps

David Gilbert

Again ... I'm talking about the actual keyboard.  The thing with all the
QWERTY buttons.

sigh ...

Dave   AB7E

On 2/24/2012 8:38 PM, Bob wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
>               We do not have to ask for an Elecraft keyboard.  It has
> already been "semi"
> announced or hinted at.  See the write up on the P3 SVGA card, it is
> mentioned there.
> Says, " also includes an interface for our future USB keyboard option".
>
> 73,
> Bob
> K2TK
>
> On 2/24/2012 9:36 PM, David Gilbert wrote:
>> I'm surprised we haven't seen requests asking Elecraft to make a monitor
>> as a companion for the P3, or an Elecraft  keyboard for digital modes.
>> Some people either simply value form over function and damn the cost, or
>> they have no comprehension of the effect of economy of scale on price
>> versus performance.
>>
>> Dave  AB7E

Re: Key Down Amps

Oliver Dröse

I am sure Dave meant the monitor/display itself, Eric. ;-))

@all:
And it would *not* make sense for Elecraft to get into those markets, too.
Already saturated, low margins, etc. A small company like Elecraft should
always stick to what they do best (aka core business) ... in this case it's
wonderful amateur radio equipment. ;-))

Vy 73, Olli - DH8BQA
http://www.dh8bqa.de/

> ??  That's exactly what the P3SVGA provides :-)
>
> Eric
>
> www.elecraft.com
> _..._
>

> On Feb 24, 2012, at 6:36 PM, David Gilbert <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

>> I'm surprised we haven't seen requests asking Elecraft to make a monitor
>> as a companion for the P3, or an Elecraft  keyboard for digital modes.
>> Some people either simply value form over function and damn the cost, or
>> they have no comprehension of the effect of economy of scale on price
>> versus performance..
>>
>> Dave  AB7E
>>

>> On 2/24/2012 7:00 PM, William Levy wrote:
>>> All Alpha amps ever made are key down amps. I can attest to that truth
>>> since 1978.
>>>
>>> I have a Henry 3KX that is and has been since 1986.
>>>
>>> I can't speak for the others. There really is no need for Elecraft to
>>> build
>>> a key down amp.
>>> They would only be redeveloping the wheel. That is foolish if you are
>>> building cutting edge transceivers that have best in class receivers.
>>>
>>> I own my K3 because they built the best receiver. I don't expect them to
>>> be
>>> my big amp company.
>>> I am delighted that they built a small amp that knocked the 30L-1 out
>>> after
>>> 50 years.
>>>
>>> If you want to buy a great radio you buy the best receiver first. It's
>>> wonderful that the transmitters come along with them these days.
>>>
>>> Everything else comes later. Mix and match folks. These guys can't be
>>> everything to every dreamer out there.
>>>

>>> 73, Bill N2WL
>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

> -----
> eMail ist virenfrei.
> Von AVG uberpruft - www.avg.de
> Version: 2012.0.1913 / Virendatenbank: 2114/4827 - Ausgabedatum:
> 23.02.2012

Re: Key Down Amps

Rick Prather-2
Sounds like advice you could have given Steve Jobs just before Apple came out with the iPhone.

:-)

Rick
K6LE

On 2/25/2012, at 12:13 , Oliver Dröse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am sure Dave meant the monitor/display itself, Eric. ;-))
>
> @all:
> And it would *not* make sense for Elecraft to get into those markets, too.
> Already saturated, low margins, etc. A small company like Elecraft should
> always stick to what they do best (aka core business) ... in this case it's
> wonderful amateur radio equipment. ;-))
>
> Vy 73, Olli - DH8BQA
> http://www.dh8bqa.de/

Re: Key Down Amps

David Gilbert

The chips in cellphones that provide the major functions aren't made by
the cellphone manufacturers, and in fact some rather small outfits
around the world are able to make cellphones because of that.  It's kind
of foolish to compare the tremendous resources (design, marketing,
global subcontractor base, economies of scale, global market channels,
etc) that Apple already had at their disposal and the HUGE available
market for cellphones with the situation Elecraft is in.

There have been far more companies who self-destructed because they
didn't understand their core competencies and strayed too far outside it
than those who successfully branched out into multiple other markets.

Dave  AB7E

On 2/25/2012 8:06 AM, Rick Prather wrote:

> Sounds like advice you could have given Steve Jobs just before Apple came out with the iPhone.
>
> :-)
>
> Rick
> K6LE
>
> On 2/25/2012, at 12:13 , Oliver Dröse<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> I am sure Dave meant the monitor/display itself, Eric. ;-))
>>
>> @all:
>> And it would *not* make sense for Elecraft to get into those markets, too.
>> Already saturated, low margins, etc. A small company like Elecraft should
>> always stick to what they do best (aka core business) ... in this case it's
>> wonderful amateur radio equipment. ;-))
>>
>> Vy 73, Olli - DH8BQA
>> http://www.dh8bqa.de/

Re: Key Down Amps

Cookie
Apple's core competency is its Operating System, not its hardware.  The I-Phone did not stray.  In Elecraft we are fortunate to deal with a company with principles that understand their niche very well.  It is a rare mind set that allows them to accept suggestions that improve their product while receiving even more suggestions that would lead them astray.  My observation is that Wayne and Eric are excellent at separating the two and providing the right products without discouraging the brainstorming.

Willis 'Cookie' Cooke
K5EWJ & Trustee N5BPS, USS Cavalla, USS Stewart

________________________________
The chips in cellphones that provide the major functions aren't made by
the cellphone manufacturers, and in fact some rather small outfits
around the world are able to make cellphones because of that.  It's kind
of foolish to compare the tremendous resources (design, marketing,
global subcontractor base, economies of scale, global market channels,
etc) that Apple already had at their disposal and the HUGE available
market for cellphones with the situation Elecraft is in.

There have been far more companies who self-destructed because they
didn't understand their core competencies and strayed too far outside it
than those who successfully branched out into multiple other markets.

Dave  AB7E

On 2/25/2012 8:06 AM, Rick Prather wrote:

> Sounds like advice you could have given Steve Jobs just before Apple came out with the iPhone.
>
> :-)
>
> Rick
> K6LE
>
> On 2/25/2012, at 12:13 , Oliver Dröse<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> I am sure Dave meant the monitor/display itself, Eric. ;-))
>>
>> @all:
>> And it would *not* make sense for Elecraft to get into those markets, too.
>> Already saturated, low margins, etc. A small company like Elecraft should
>> always stick to what they do best (aka core business) ... in this case it's
>> wonderful amateur radio equipment. ;-))
>>
>> Vy 73, Olli - DH8BQA
>> http://www.dh8bqa.de/

Re: Key Down Amps

Guy, K2AV
I would have to say that Apple has quite more than only one core
competency, and is very, very good at rolling their own chips and farming
their manufacture out to low cost high quality subs.  Its hardware is
clearly as good as anyone else's.  Apple is not really a good proof text
for sticking to a single core competency, however well-advised that
strategy.

73, Guy

On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 1:27 PM, WILLIS COOKE <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Apple's core competency is its Operating System, not its hardware.  The
> I-Phone did not stray.  In Elecraft we are fortunate to deal with a company
> with principles that understand their niche very well.  It is a rare mind
> set that allows them to accept suggestions that improve their product
> while receiving even more suggestions that would lead them astray.  My
> observation is that Wayne and Eric are excellent at separating the two and
> providing the right products without discouraging the brainstorming.
>
> Willis 'Cookie' Cooke
> K5EWJ & Trustee N5BPS, USS Cavalla, USS Stewart
>

> ________________________________

Re: Key Down Amps

Ian Kahn, KM4IK
Actually, Cookie, if you read Steve Jobs' biography, you will find he's
quite adamant about Apple's core competency.  It is *their* hardware,
*their* software, the integration between the two, and, most
importantly, the whole end-user experience using and interacting with
that hardware and software.

73,

--Ian

Ian Kahn, KM4IK
Roswell, GA
[hidden email]
K3 #281, P3 #688

On 2/25/2012 1:27 PM, WILLIS COOKE wrote:

> Apple's core competency is its Operating System, not its hardware.  The I-Phone did not stray.  In Elecraft we are fortunate to deal with a company with principles that understand their niche very well.  It is a rare mind set that allows them to accept suggestions that improve their product while receiving even more suggestions that would lead them astray.  My observation is that Wayne and Eric are excellent at separating the two and providing the right products without discouraging the brainstorming.
>
> Willis 'Cookie' Cooke
> K5EWJ&  Trustee N5BPS, USS Cavalla, USS Stewart
>

> ________________________________

Re: Key Down Amps

Oliver Dröse
Not quite comparable Rick, as Apple is still doing the same kind of
business: computers. The iPhone is nothing else. ;-))

But what do monitors/displays have to do with amateur radios/transceivers?
They are not only worlds but universes apart. ;-))

73, Olli - DH8BQA

Sounds like advice you could have given Steve Jobs just before Apple came
out with the iPhone.

:-)

Rick
K6LE

On 2/25/2012, at 12:13 , Oliver Dröse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am sure Dave meant the monitor/display itself, Eric. ;-))
>
> @all:
> And it would *not* make sense for Elecraft to get into those markets, too.
> Already saturated, low margins, etc. A small company like Elecraft should
> always stick to what they do best (aka core business) ... in this case
> it's
> wonderful amateur radio equipment. ;-))
>
> Vy 73, Olli - DH8BQA
> http://www.dh8bqa.de/

-----
eMail ist virenfrei.
Von AVG überprüft - www.avg.de
Version: 2012.0.1913 / Virendatenbank: 2114/4830 - Ausgabedatum: 24.02.2012

Elecraft's Business Model

Jim Brown-10
On 2/25/2012 1:04 PM, Oliver Dröse wrote:
> But what do monitors/displays have to do with amateur radios/transceivers?

The key here is that products that are high volume items that can be
sold to a very large market are CHEAP because they are built and sold in
very high quantities.  This means that design, manufacturing, sales, and
support costs can be spread over hundreds of thousands of pieces rather
than the 5,000 or so that is typical of a popular ham radio rig.   It is
also true that mass market products are sold with very low mark-ups over
their cost.

For these reasons alone, it is pointless for Elecraft to manufacture or
market anything  in product categories for which high quality products
can be bought in the mass market.  This includes products like
microphones, headsets, computer monitors, and so on. We can buy CM500
headsets for $40-$50 -- Elecraft would have to add $20 or so to that
cost to sell it to us, and they still wouldn't be making money on it.

It also does not make sense for Elecraft to build products in categories
that are well covered by other high quality manufacturers.  One big
reason that there IS a KPA500 is that Alpha does not sell a 500W amp.
Another is most  other 500W amps aren't great. And Elecraft is building
the KAT500 because other options in that product category either aren't
so great or that the KAT500 can provide much better integration with the
KPA500.

73, Jim K9YC

Re: Key Down Amps

Rick Prather-2
Olli,

SInce I was making a tongue in cheek comment I didn't expect the thread to take on a life of it's own.  But, by now I should know better.

However, I remember very nearly those exact same thoughts :   ("And it would *not* make sense for Elecraft to get into those markets, too. Already saturated, low margins, etc. ")  used many times by the pundits when the iPhone talk started.

Forget it, it was a bad attempt to point to something I found a bit humorous.

Rick
K6LE

On 2/25/2012, at 12:13 , Oliver Dröse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am sure Dave meant the monitor/display itself, Eric. ;-))
>
> @all:
> And it would *not* make sense for Elecraft to get into those markets, too.
> Already saturated, low margins, etc. A small company like Elecraft should
> always stick to what they do best (aka core business) ... in this case it's
> wonderful amateur radio equipment. ;-))
>
> Vy 73, Olli - DH8BQA
> http://www.dh8bqa.de/

Re: Elecraft's Business Model

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Let's not drift too far afield. Time to close OT Apple portion of this thread.

73,

Eric
Elecraft List Modulator ;-)

www.elecraft.com
_..._

Re: Key Down Amps

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Actually, this is the thread that contained the Apple portion I wanted to close. :-)

73,

Eric
List Moderator too.

www.elecraft.com
_..._

On Feb 25, 2012, at 1:04 PM, Oliver Dröse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Not quite comparable Rick, as Apple is still doing the same kind of
> business: computers. The iPhone is nothing else. ;-))
>
> But what do monitors/displays have to do with amateur radios/transceivers?
> They are not only worlds but universes apart. ;-))
>
> 73, Olli - DH8BQA

Re: Elecraft's Business Model

N2TK
Well, over the years Elecraft has solicited input as to features and new
products. I think this continues to be a great idea. And we have been
surprised a few times about a new product that did more than we had
anticipated. An example is the XG-3. Some of us pushed for a 6-band signals
source. But what we got was way beyond that.

I like their way of thinking. I believe giving our input as to what we would
like is a good marketing practice. Because others have viable products does
not mean there still isn't a market for something that goes above and beyond
what is currently available or fits a particular nitch market at a profit.

Am I still interested in something like the KPA1500 that was displayed
several years ago at Dayton even though I have a very nice 1500W tube amp?
You betcha. But I want it to be in my basement and operate it remotely from
the shack either with a hardware or software remote controller. And I want
it rock solid like my tube amp. Instant on is a nice feature.

I want a remote "K3-0/KX3" so I can throw it in my brief case to operate my
home station when I am traveling on business and sitting in a hotel room.
But I want it self-contained with everything in one case so I don't have to
haul a bunch of stuff around - almost empty box, remote controller, walwart.

I want to be able to plug in a keyboard in my P3 to operate digital modes
with the screen displaying the decoded signals and my transmitted info.
Maybe this one isn't too far off?

Also would want an improved KRC-X that would control manually and
automatically all of my antennas from the K3. And I would want to select two
different banks of antennas using the front panel ANT switch. This way on
any band the KRC-X would automatically select a particular antenna I had
programmed. And if I had a second antenna on a particular band I could
select that from the front panel ANT switch on the K3. Trying to keep things
focused on the K3 so I don't have to be moving hands around and possibly
making mistakes when changing bands in a contest or DXing. Maybe stack
KRC-X's so you can toggle though banks of antennas if you have more than two
antennas per band?

Got in my wish list :-)

73,
N2TK, Tony

On 2/25/2012 1:04 PM, Oliver Dröse wrote:
> But what do monitors/displays have to do with amateur radios/transceivers?

The key here is that products that are high volume items that can be sold to
a very large market are CHEAP because they are built and sold in very high
quantities.  This means that design, manufacturing, sales, and support costs
can be spread over hundreds of thousands of pieces rather
than the 5,000 or so that is typical of a popular ham radio rig.   It is
also true that mass market products are sold with very low mark-ups over
their cost.

For these reasons alone, it is pointless for Elecraft to manufacture or
market anything  in product categories for which high quality products can
be bought in the mass market.  This includes products like microphones,
headsets, computer monitors, and so on. We can buy CM500 headsets for
$40-$50 -- Elecraft would have to add $20 or so to that cost to sell it to
us, and they still wouldn't be making money on it.

It also does not make sense for Elecraft to build products in categories
that are well covered by other high quality manufacturers.  One big reason
that there IS a KPA500 is that Alpha does not sell a 500W amp.
Another is most  other 500W amps aren't great. And Elecraft is building the
KAT500 because other options in that product category either aren't so great
or that the KAT500 can provide much better integration with the KPA500.

73, Jim K9YC

Re: Key Down Amps

N5GE
Dave,

It would be an unwise business decision for Elecraft to build or sell monitors.
There's way too much competition in that field, and too many American companies
who have the slaves of other countries building them.

73,
Tom
Amateur Radio Operator N5GE
ARRL Lifetime Member
QCWA Lifetime Member

"The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women
submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments."
-- George Washington --

On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 19:36:01 -0700, David Gilbert <[hidden email]>
wrote:

>I'm surprised we haven't seen requests asking Elecraft to make a monitor
>as a companion for the P3, or an Elecraft  keyboard for digital modes.
>Some people either simply value form over function and damn the cost, or
>they have no comprehension of the effect of economy of scale on price
>versus performance.
>
>Dave  AB7E

[snip]

Amateur Radio Operator N5GE

Re: Key Down Amps

David Bunte
Perhaps I am being naive... but I never, for a moment, thought Dave was
suggesting that Elecraft do any such thing.  I think his post was more a
commentary on some people wanting Elecraft to do everything, and the likely
result that some people would pay more for a given monitor or keyboard, or
whatever, if it had the Elecraft name on it.  I also think we have probably
beaten this thread into the ground.

-Dave-
K9FN