Keying an external amplifier with the K1

Keying an external amplifier with the K1

Wyn Hughes-2

Hello group,

Does anybody know whether the K1 can be modified to provide a keying output, to key a small external amplifier (similar to the available mod for the K2)?

73,

Wyn, VR2AX

Re: Keying an external amplifier with the K1

Don Wilhelm-4
Wyn,

There is no kit or PC board specific to the K1, but the same amp keying
circuit used for the K2 should work if the K1 6R signal is used as input
in place of the 8R signal used in the K2.  Where you pick up the
required voltage and ground inside the K1 and how you mount it is an
exercise I will leave to the builder - but electrically, the circuit
should work fine.
I cannot comment on the relative timing of the presence of the 6R signal
to the onset of RF, but I imagine it is adequate to handle all but the
slower relays in an amplifier.
Why don't you try it and report your implementation.

73,,
Don W3FPR

Wyn Hughes wrote:

> Hello group,
>

> Does anybody know whether the K1 can be modified to provide a keying
> output, to key a small external amplifier (similar to the available
> mod for the K2)?
>

> 73,
>
> Wyn, VR2AX

RE: Keying an external amplifier with the K1

Wyn Hughes-2
Don,

Many thanks for that helpful information. I will try and report back in due
time.

All the best,
Wyn, VR2AX