Keying question

Robert McGwier
Is there any special interface at all needed to key the K2 from the COM port
or can this be done directly?

Bob
N4HY

You must subscribe to post.
Subscriber Info (Addr. Change, Unsub etc): http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
Elecraft page: http://www.elecraft.com

RE: Keying question

Robert McGwier
Never mind.  RTFM.  Level shifting required.

Bob

Elecraft page: http://www.elecraft.com

RE: Keying question

Jim Brown-10
Are you talking about keying from WriteLog on the DTR line?  If so, you need a
simple NPN transistor as an inverter between the computer and the K2 key jack.
I've built several using 2N4123's that I happen to have in my junk box, but any
small signal NPN will do. Collector to the key line, emitter to common, drive the
base through 1K ohms from the DTR line.  Works on my K2, Omni V, TS850, and
TS790A.

Jim

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 11:17:32 -0000, Robert McGwier wrote:

>Never mind.  RTFM.  Level shifting required.
>
>Bob

Joe-aa4nn
Hi Bob,
Most CW keying lines from PC to rig use LPT1 but COM port also works.  Here
are two examples for keying lines.

http://www.n3fjp.com/    when there, click on CW-PC Interface
http://k1ea.com/hints/lpt.htm

73, Joe, aa4nn

CW Readers and CW Keyboards.

Larry Keith
Has anyone used a CW Reader and/or CW keyboard with the K1?  I would be
interested in hearing about your experiences..

73,

KQ4BY

K1 - 1884, under construction..

Larry Keith
231 Shenandoah Trail
Warner Robins, GA 31088-6289
[hidden email]
478-329-0030
You must subscribe to post.
Subscriber Info (Addr. Change, Unsub etc): http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
Elecraft page: http://www.elecraft.com

Re: CW Readers and CW Keyboards.

Rich Ardolino
Hi Larry & group,

Don't waste your money. I bought the MFJ 461....its very tricky to adjust it
to display anything but gibberish. It only works for strong signals of
nearly perfectly sent code on an otherwise quiet band. If  you can hear
other signals near your listening frequency, so can the 461 and it will be
"confused", it can't discriminate different tones and lock onto one signal
so it won't work on crowded bands.

Having said all the above, if you are not put off from buying one.....I
intend to sell mine on ebay soon.....it will have a "buy it now" price of
$50.00. You can have it for that price. Its in good shape, little used and I
have the instructions that came with it.

Regards,

Rich  K2CPE
K2 #1102

> Has anyone used a CW Reader and/or CW keyboard with the K1?  I would be
> interested in hearing about your experiences..
>
> 73,
>
> KQ4BY
>
> K1 - 1884, under construction..

You must subscribe to post.
Subscriber Info (Addr. Change, Unsub etc): http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
Elecraft page: http://www.elecraft.com

Re: Keying question

Wolf-Rüdiger Jürgens-2
Hi Bob,
> Is there any special interface at all needed to key the K2 from the
> COM port or can this be done directly?

Direct keying is impossible, you need an interface between the serial
port and the K2. I use the following with great success:
http://www.dl2wrj.de/qrss/cwinterf.png

72 Wolf, DL2WRJ
You must subscribe to post.
Subscriber Info (Addr. Change, Unsub etc): http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
Elecraft page: http://www.elecraft.com

Re: CW Readers and CW Keyboards.

Brian Mury-3
I agree. I have a PK-232MBX which will send and receive CW. It will work
with a reasonably strong signal and a good fist, but if the signal is
weak or the fist is a bit sloppy, it decodes mostly gibberish.

I did find it useful when learning to send CW. I set my rig up so that I
got a sidetone but it didn't transmit. Depending on the rig, this
usually means turning off break-in or VOX; on the K2 you can put it in
"test" mode with the VOX button. You could also hook up the audio from a
practice oscillator. Then I could send code, and it the PK-232 would
decode it. If my fist got sloppy, it would be obvious.

--
73, Brian
VE7NGR

You must subscribe to post.
Subscriber Info (Addr. Change, Unsub etc): http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
Elecraft page: http://www.elecraft.com

RE: CW Readers and CW Keyboards.

Robert McGwier
Do you have a rig interface?  Try CWGET, hook it up to your
rigblaster, etc.  It works pretty well.

http://www.softcities.com/CwGet-morse-decoder/download/538.htm

Bob