L1 vs W1 Power Reading

akiwi ham
I recently put together a DL1 dummy load and W1 wattmeter.

I have the DL1 connected to my KX1 through the W1. I have the W1 connected
to a computer using the W1 software. I have a significant difference between
the power reading from the W1 and the power calculated from the voltage
measured on TP1 of the DL1 using a digital volt meter.

For example:

W1 reading = 4.04W

TP1 volts on DL1 = 8.97V => 3.29W

Is this magnitude of difference to be expected?

 Bryan, Zl1NI

Re: L1 vs W1 Power Reading

Don Wilhelm-4
Brian,

Unless you used a very accurate wattmeter to calibrate the W1, I would
believe the DL1.
HOWEVER:  The formula in the DL1 manual is not correct.  8.97 volts
measured from the DL1 properly indicates 3.44 watts.
The correct formula for the DL1 is (Vdmm + Vdiode)^2/25.  You can
measure the actual forward voltage drop of you diode in the DL1 and
substitute into the formula above, or assume the diode drop is 0.3 volts.

I believe an updated DL1 manual may be due with the corrected power
formula - I submitted the power formula derivation to Bob Friess (he
designed the DL1) and he accepted it.

akiwi ham wrote:

> I recently put together a DL1 dummy load and W1 wattmeter.
>
> I have the DL1 connected to my KX1 through the W1. I have the W1 connected
> to a computer using the W1 software. I have a significant difference between
> the power reading from the W1 and the power calculated from the voltage
> measured on TP1 of the DL1 using a digital volt meter.
>
> For example:
>
> W1 reading = 4.04W
>
> TP1 volts on DL1 = 8.97V => 3.29W
>
> Is this magnitude of difference to be expected?
>
>  Bryan, Zl1NI

Re: L1 vs W1 Power Reading

akiwi ham
Thanks Don.

The only calibration I did for the W1 was the procedure in the manual.

Bryan, Zl1NI