LCD and error codes

k7btw
I'm up to page 36 in the K1 manual,  Alignment and Test, Part 1.  All resistance and voltage checks fine up to this point.  When power turned on, I do not get the E27 error code.  The LCD is blank, except for a few vertical bars on the top half of the display. If I press a switch, they go away and the LCD is blank.  I've done all the usual kinds of inspections, including going back over the instructions step by step. I could use some suggestions.  Thanks.