Lightning damage here

Don Wilhelm-4
I am currently "computer handicapped" because of a nearby lightning
strike last evening.
I think I have accessed the damage, but there may be more to be revealed
once more devices come on-line.

It seems the damage propagated via the wired Ethernet connections - I
lost 3 (maybe 4) computers on my home network, a router, 2 network
switches and the NAS file server.  Fortunately, the file server (which
contains all backup data) only lost the Ethernet connect capability -
the files are still intact.

What I am saying is that I will be "limping along" until the equipment I
ordered comes in and can be placed in service.

So if you send me email and do not get a prompt response, it may be
because my P-P network is in the process of being updated.  I expect it
will be mid-next-week before I have everything up and running again.

NO damage to any of the ham gear, and I attribute that to a good
grounding system coupled with having all the radio gear connected to
dummy loads during the disturbance.

Re: Lightning damage here

Tony Estep
On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 8:15 PM, Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ....a nearby lightning strike last evening....
>
> ============
That is a bummer, Don. Lightning can make its way throughout the house by
various evil means. A few years ago a strike hit a tree across the street,
traveled across the crown of nearby trees to our roof, thence into the
house wiring and fried a TV set, the lawn-sprinkler system, the microwave,
the sound card in my son's laptop, the display on my FT-1000MP, and my
2M/440 base-station radio. If it wants to get you, it will. Good luck
getting things back to normal.

Tony KT0NY

--
http://www.isb.edu/faculty/facultydir.aspx?ddlFaculty=352

Re: Lightning damage here

Greg Buhyoff-2
Don,

Really sorry to hear that. I empathize.  We lost two major appliances late June when the Derecho hit Virginia with 75 mph winds and a lightning show like I haven't seen in many years.  That lightning hit was not direct, but we heard the snap in the house.  It came through a wall receptacle in the family room and literally blew a hole in the hardwood floor. Luckily, all my radio  and computer equipment was spared, I think,  due to my running around the house, as the storm approached, and unplugging everything I could and having greatly improved my grounding system based upon many a good discussion here on this reflector.  We got hit, again last night and my vertical took a hit (I saw it), it blew out the gas discharge protectors I had in-line and the  2 inch grounding strap at outside copper bus plate is black and melted.  But, I also had solid 2 AWG going from that plate to ground ( 8 rods,  one every four feet).

I wish you the very best.

73, Greg K2UM