Lithium Ion battery

Mike B-12
While vainly searching Wal-Mart's electronics department yesterday for a
decent S.A.M.E. weather radio, I came across what seems to be a good
deal: A 5400 mAh lithium ion battery (with AC charger) rated at 9 volts,
for $50. There was also a 7.2 volt version for the same price, which is
also on the web at
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?cat=62055&dept=3944&product_id=2350787&path=0%3A3944%3A62055%3A62056
It's marketed as a portable battery pack for DVD players (it's brand
name is Initial, the same name WM also has some DVD players from), and I
think uses a variety of interchangeable plugs to fit various brands of
players.  Of course, the beauty of lithium ion batteries is their energy
density.  I don't have the dimensions, but I think it was only slightly
larger than a KX1, and well under an inch think.  Like many laptop
batteries today, it has charge status LEDs on one side.

This price seems to be a bargain.  A quick search of Amazon.com found
other external battery packs such as this for $80, but are NiMH and only
4500 mAh.

Now, 9 volts is nominally the same as you get from the internal pack, so
there's no advantage there, and the 5400 mAh would last just this side
of forever on a single charge with a KX1. So my question is, in the
absence of Embedded Research's similar product of a few years ago, is
there a simple, small (preferably very small) circuit that could boost
the voltage by a third, to get closer to 14 volts?  Perhaps something
that could even be integrated into the power cord?
Mike Boice, KW1ND
Karns, TN
Behold the power of the penguin

You must subscribe to post.