Look familiar? Elecraft vs Ten Tec

Mike Morrow-3
Ron wrote:

>There are other differences that are not apparent on the front panel.
>No CW keying waveform shaping, for one.

The absolute worst feature of the R4020:  Ten-Tec confirmed to me that
the iambic keyer supports mode B only. I will never buy a rig with
iambic keyer that functions in mode B only.  (That is the only thing
that caused me not to buy an IC-7000, a radio that allows many silly
and superfluous features to be customized, yet does not allow the very
important feature of iambic mode selection!  Icom idiocy, but Yaesu
and Kenwood do likewise.  Even Small Wonder Labs provides Mode B only,
but Jackson Harbor provided a PIC for the DSW to correct that fault.
Elecraft is to be commended for standing out and providing selection.
While I'm griping...notice that QST Product Reviews (like the one for
the R4020) will spend a lot of text telling the reader how to do some
odd-ball thing on the rig being reviewed, but will NEVER address iambic
keyer mode.)

There are a some good features to the R4020, compared to the KX1:
(1)  It has a four-pole IF crystal filter, something the KX1 needs to
     properly suppress receiving a signal on both sides of the zero-beat.
(2)  One doesn't have to waste time building the damned thing, which
     could be important.  The KX1 has a reputation of being a bit
     finicky, especially if the four-band version is attempted.
(3)  It *does* have variable IF bandwidth (eight steps, IIRC).  It's
     just not *continuously* variable.  I don't like *continuously*
     variable IF BW.  I'd rather have three steps like the K1.
(4)  It's a LOT less expensive.  And when one factors in the value of
     one's own time saved not having to build it, it's a lot lot less
     expensive.
(5)  It apparently uses mostly surface mount components.  Though it's
     not a kit, I wish kit manufacturers would use pre-assembled PCBs
     with all the mundane components pre-assembled.  This is something
     that MFJ tried with their Cub QRP rigs.  Good concept, imperfectly
     executed by MFJ.
(6)  It has a "whole" frequency display, out to 10 Hz resolution.

The same outfit that builds the R4020 is producing kits for the TJ6A
and TJ6A Pro six-band cw and ssb QRP rigs.  This outfit could provide
some real competition in a few years.

Mike / KK5F

Re: Look familiar? Elecraft vs Ten Tec

K6LMP
So why not write a letter to the editor of QST making this point?

Cheers,

Lew K6LMP

On Feb 9, 2011, at 11:55 PM, Mike Morrow wrote:

> While I'm griping...notice that QST Product Reviews (like the one for
> the R4020) will spend a lot of text telling the reader how to do some
> odd-ball thing on the rig being reviewed, but will NEVER address iambic
> keyer mode.

Re: Look familiar? Elecraft vs Ten Tec

N5GE

I thought this thread was closed yesterday??

Why not post your review on QRZ or one of the other appropriate sites that
publish reviews of ham equipment?

On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 02:55:57 -0500 (EST), Mike Morrow <[hidden email]>
wrote:

>Ron wrote:
>
>>There are other differences that are not apparent on the front panel.
>>No CW keying waveform shaping, for one.
>
>The absolute worst feature of the R4020:  Ten-Tec confirmed to me that
>the iambic keyer supports mode B only. I will never buy a rig with
>iambic keyer that functions in mode B only.  (That is the only thing
>that caused me not to buy an IC-7000, a radio that allows many silly
>and superfluous features to be customized, yet does not allow the very
>important feature of iambic mode selection!  Icom idiocy, but Yaesu
>and Kenwood do likewise.  Even Small Wonder Labs provides Mode B only,
>but Jackson Harbor provided a PIC for the DSW to correct that fault.
>Elecraft is to be commended for standing out and providing selection.
>While I'm griping...notice that QST Product Reviews (like the one for
>the R4020) will spend a lot of text telling the reader how to do some
>odd-ball thing on the rig being reviewed, but will NEVER address iambic
>keyer mode.)
>
>There are a some good features to the R4020, compared to the KX1:
>(1)  It has a four-pole IF crystal filter, something the KX1 needs to
>     properly suppress receiving a signal on both sides of the zero-beat.
>(2)  One doesn't have to waste time building the damned thing, which
>     could be important.  The KX1 has a reputation of being a bit
>     finicky, especially if the four-band version is attempted.
>(3)  It *does* have variable IF bandwidth (eight steps, IIRC).  It's
>     just not *continuously* variable.  I don't like *continuously*
>     variable IF BW.  I'd rather have three steps like the K1.
>(4)  It's a LOT less expensive.  And when one factors in the value of
>     one's own time saved not having to build it, it's a lot lot less
>     expensive.
>(5)  It apparently uses mostly surface mount components.  Though it's
>     not a kit, I wish kit manufacturers would use pre-assembled PCBs
>     with all the mundane components pre-assembled.  This is something
>     that MFJ tried with their Cub QRP rigs.  Good concept, imperfectly
>     executed by MFJ.
>(6)  It has a "whole" frequency display, out to 10 Hz resolution.
>
>The same outfit that builds the R4020 is producing kits for the TJ6A
>and TJ6A Pro six-band cw and ssb QRP rigs.  This outfit could provide
>some real competition in a few years.
>
>Mike / KK5F
>Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Amateur Radio Operator N5GE