MD2 Mic

srife
        I hate to admit that I can't figure something this simple out, but
can someone tell me if the MD2 on the CB-1 base is supposed to move around
after it is all mounted together? I can't seem to get things tight enough
with just my hands to keep the mic and holder from twisting around everytime
it is bumped. I certainly don't want to put any pliers or anything metallic
on the parts, trying to get everything snugged up. And I am really not sure
that I have everything together as it should be. There is a knurled thumb
ring for sugging up the mike holder (I think) on the vertical tube, and that
seems to work ok. I just can't seem to get the tube to tighten up in the
base adequately. The tube that screws in to the base sure seems to have a
lot of excess threaded portion. Also, there sure are not very many threads
up inside of the mike holder (only about 3 or 4). And what is the threaded
stud for that is slotted on both ends? This is a real mystery to me.
Assembly instructions were not included.
        Anyone have any advice on this? I can't believe Heil would build
such a nice quality microphone and then skimp on the base parts. Surely I
just don't have it together properly.

Thanks,

Stan Rife
W5EWA
Houston, TX
K2 S/N 4216

RE: MD2 Mic

Roger Stein-2
"can someone tell me if the MD2 on the CB-1 base is supposed to move around
after it is all mounted together? "

Thanks, Stan Rife W5EWA K2 S/N 4216

Hi Stan,
     OK, you got my curiosity up. My 'Santa to me' box had to be opened to
check out your dilema.
     Threaded the extension into the base the desired amount and locked the
knurled nut. Seemed to tighten up just fine.
     Yes, just a couple of threads engaged into the mic holder but I was
able
to lock that as well, though not the engagement like the base.
Nothing twisted for me after it was assembled.
     I didn't run across a threaded stud as you described.
I may carefully trim the first couple of threads off the mic end of the
extension via my bench grinder as these are the tapered starting threads
that offer little engagement. I then will assemble with equal number of
exposed threads above/below the knurled nut....details, details!!
     Doesn't really 'solve' your mystery, but at least another experience.

73, Roger WA7BOC K2#755