Mac OS X and K3 Utility Opinions?

Jim / W6JHB
This post is for Mac users...

I'm running OS X 10.6.3 on an iMac (and a MacBook Air) and will be ordering my K3 some time in May. Just curious if you other Mac OS X users have had positive experiences with the K3 Software on that platform? It is well-behaved? Easy to use?

I'll probably have the K3 connected to the MacBook Air for most of the configuring I'll do. However, I "might" want to hook it to the iMac on occasion. Are the "config" files easy to move from computer to computer? It that even possible?

73, Jim / W6JHB

Re: Mac OS X and K3 Utility Opinions?

M0XDF
Yes, all the things you'd expect from Mac software.
Yes, files are easy to move or copy, it's just knowing where they are.
If you mean the f/w files, I'd just keep a set on each machine.

If you mean backups of your K3's config, you control where they are stored
73 de M0XDF, K3 #174
No one is useless in this world who lightens the burden of it for anyone else. -Charles Dickens, novelist (1812-1870)

On 30 Apr 2010, at 17:08, Jim bennett wrote:

> This post is for Mac users...
>
> I'm running OS X 10.6.3 on an iMac (and a MacBook Air) and will be ordering
> my K3 some time in May. Just curious if you other Mac OS X users have had
> positive experiences with the K3 Software on that platform? It is
> well-behaved? Easy to use?
>
> I'll probably have the K3 connected to the MacBook Air for most of the
> configuring I'll do. However, I "might" want to hook it to the iMac on
> occasion. Are the "config" files easy to move from computer to computer? It
> that even possible?
>
> 73, Jim / W6JHB

Re: Mac OS X and K3 Utility Opinions?

John Seney
Using mac with K3 and MacloggerDX and K3 config utility is flawless.
You are going to love it!

73
WD1V
Founder of Macnet

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 30, 2010, at 12:08 PM, Jim bennett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This post is for Mac users...
>
> I'm running OS X 10.6.3 on an iMac (and a MacBook Air) and will be
> ordering
> my K3 some time in May. Just curious if you other Mac OS X users
> have had
> positive experiences with the K3 Software on that platform? It is
> well-behaved? Easy to use?
>
> I'll probably have the K3 connected to the MacBook Air for most of the
> configuring I'll do. However, I "might" want to hook it to the iMac on
> occasion. Are the "config" files easy to move from computer to
> computer? It
> that even possible?
>
> 73, Jim / W6JHB

Re: Mac OS X and K3 Utility Opinions?

k6osx
K3 Utility for OSX works fine with my Intel based iMac and MacBook Pro
(have not used the utility on my PowerPC based units).  As previously
posted, the application allows you to set the local update location for
firmware files and the user can select, via the finder, backup/restore
k3 configuration files.

On 4/30/2010 9:08 AM, Jim bennett wrote:

> This post is for Mac users...
>
> I'm running OS X 10.6.3 on an iMac (and a MacBook Air) and will be ordering
> my K3 some time in May. Just curious if you other Mac OS X users have had
> positive experiences with the K3 Software on that platform? It is
> well-behaved? Easy to use?
>
> I'll probably have the K3 connected to the MacBook Air for most of the
> configuring I'll do. However, I "might" want to hook it to the iMac on
> occasion. Are the "config" files easy to move from computer to computer? It
> that even possible?
>
> 73, Jim / W6JHB

Re: Mac OS X and K3 Utility Opinions?

Kok Chen

On Apr 30, 2010, at 4/30    9:08 AM, Jim bennett wrote:

> Just curious if you other Mac OS X users have had
> positive experiences with the K3 Software on that platform? It is
> well-behaved? Easy to use?

While I have only used the K3 Utility for firmware upgrades, I've
found the Mac OS X integration to be be absolutely seamless and I have
never encountered a single hiccup (which can be downright scary while
downloading firmware :-).

Kudos and thanks to W4SMT, the man behind the Mac OS curtain.

73
Chen, W7AY

Re: Mac OS X and K3 Utility Opinions?

Jim / W6JHB
Well, if Chen says it is stable / seamless, what more can I ask?!?!?

Thanks all for the input - I feel more comfortable about it now.

73, Jim / W6JHB

Re: Mac OS X and K3 Utility Opinions?

lstavenhagen
The Macos K3 utility works perfectly for me also on both my Macbook and Macbook Pro (intel). The only thing you have to actually install on more than one machine is the Prolific 2303 driver/kext for the USB->RS232 interface adapter (and the Prolific driver package comes with an installer).

Otherwise, you can just copy the utility and firmware files from machine to machine and it all just works, like we're accustomed to on the Mac...

I use W7AY's cocoaModem for digital modes and DL2RUM's RUMLog for CW (I'm still learning the logging part of it). Both work perfectly with no issues on MacOS X 10.6.2 and 3.

73,
LS
W5QD

Re: Mac OS X and K3 Utility Opinions?

Jack Brindle
Before anyone gets confused, you only need to install the Prolific
driver if you happen to be using a USB-Serial adapter with one of
their chips. I've had way too much trouble with them, so I don't. The
FTDI -based adapters work incredibly well...

The K3 Utility works very well for me also.

Jack Brindle, W6FB

John_N1JM
Works great on my Macbook Pro-Rumlog, K3 Utility, Skookum Logger. Now if only someone could write a program for the Mac to use LP-PAN or SDR-IQ.......

Re: Mac OS X and K3 Utility Opinions?

lstavenhagen
Well you know.... even _I_ could probably be turned to the Dark Side of the Force if there were MacOS versions of these SDR's. I've been intentionally a Luddite about these primarily because I just slap refuse to fight Windows as a hobby (I have to earn my living on it during the day and don't want to go near it any other time hi hi).
Looking at demos of them by the OMs on Youtube I can kind of start to see the attraction.....

73,
LS
W5QD

Re: Mac OS X and K3 Utility Opinions?

John_N1JM
What are you calling the dark side?

Re: Mac OS X and K3 Utility Opinions?

lstavenhagen
Sorry, couldn't resist hi hi.... I'm a little bit "old school" of a Mac guy where we used to poke more fun at Windows than we do nowadays.

All this could tempt me to put the KXV3A in my K3 if it becomes available on MacOS X.....

73,
LS
W5QD

Re: Mac OS X and K3 Utility Opinions?

Peter Wollan-2
I never got Rumlog running, because I had trouble installing MySQL --
I'm sure persistence would have overcome this, eventually.  What's
this Skookum Logger?  Google doesn't find it.

     Peter N8MHD

On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 8:03 AM, N1JM <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Works great on my Macbook Pro-Rumlog, K3 Utility, Skookum Logger. Now if only
> someone could write a program for the Mac to use LP-PAN or SDR-IQ.......

Re: Mac OS X and K3 Utility Opinions?

John_N1JM
You probably mean Rumped that runs with mysql(which runs fine for me).
Rumlog doesn't require mysql.
Go here   http://web.me.com/wlmyers/K1GQ/SkookumLogger.html    for
SkookumLogger.

John N1JM

On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 10:58 AM, Peter Wollan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I never got Rumlog running, because I had trouble installing MySQL --
> I'm sure persistence would have overcome this, eventually.  What's
> this Skookum Logger?  Google doesn't find it.
>
>     Peter N8MHD
>
> On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 8:03 AM, N1JM <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Works great on my Macbook Pro-Rumlog, K3 Utility, Skookum Logger. Now if only
>> someone could write a program for the Mac to use LP-PAN or SDR-IQ.......
>> --
>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Mac OS X and K3 Utility Opinions?

M0XDF
I couldn't get MySQL to install either and gave up on RumLog - I have MLDX anyway and understand Aether is good now, but haven't tried it. Not sure about SkookumLogger yet, you can find it athttp://web.me.com/wlmyers/K1GQ/SkookumLogger.html
I got put off at the beginning because it needed a WinKeyer to key morse, but I should take a look sometime.
73 de M0XDF, K3 #174
--
Life is an eternal challenge, a variant on Maeterlinck's theme that the Bluebird of happiness is by the side of each and everyone of us, always within reach, yet, if pursued to catch and possess is beyond our grasp. - Donald Campbell, CBE. (1921-1967)

On 1 May 2010, at 18:58, Peter Wollan wrote:

> I never got Rumlog running, because I had trouble installing MySQL --
> I'm sure persistence would have overcome this, eventually.  What's
> this Skookum Logger?  Google doesn't find it.

Re: Mac OS X and K3 Utility Opinions?

Rick Prather-2
David,

As noted above, you don't need SQL to run RUMlog.

Also, since Tom has added so many nice features for the K3 in RUMlog it is
definitely something to check out.

I also use MacLoggerDX and run it along side RUMlog.

I have found no reason to run Aether.  I can't imagine the use of a logger
that won't keep track of confirmations and entities worked.

Rick
K6LE

On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 11:17 AM, David Ferrington, M0XDF <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I couldn't get MySQL to install either and gave up on RumLog - I have MLDX
> anyway and understand Aether is good now, but haven't tried it. Not sure
> about SkookumLogger yet, you can find it athttp://
> web.me.com/wlmyers/K1GQ/SkookumLogger.html
> I got put off at the beginning because it needed a WinKeyer to key morse,
> but I should take a look sometime.
> 73 de M0XDF, K3 #174

Re: Mac OS X and K3 Utility Opinions?

Ross Primrose N4RP
On 5/1/10 2:09 PM, John Merrill wrote:
> You probably mean Rumped that runs with mysql(which runs fine for me).
> Rumlog doesn't require mysql.
> Go here   http://web.me.com/wlmyers/K1GQ/SkookumLogger.html    for
> SkookumLogger.

That link gives a 404 not found error for me...

73, Ross N4RP

--
FCC Section 97.313(a) “At all times, an amateur station must use the minimum transmitter power necessary to carry out the desired communications.”

Re: Mac OS X and K3 Utility Opinions?

Ian Maude
RUMlog does not need MySQL.  It installs easily and works out of the box.
 As Tom is a K3 owner, I would expect to see more stuff coming up for the
radio.  It is already very nice to use with some simple little features that
come in very handy.  Like being able to disconnect and reconnect the K3 in
runtime so you can fire up the K3 utility or something.  Well worth looking
at.

73 Ian

--
Ian J Maude, G0VGS
SysOp GB7MBC & HB9DRV-9 DX Clusters

On 1 May 2010 19:17, David Ferrington, M0XDF <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I couldn't get MySQL to install either and gave up on RumLog - I have MLDX
> anyway and understand Aether is good now, but haven't tried it. Not sure
> about SkookumLogger yet, you can find it athttp://
> web.me.com/wlmyers/K1GQ/SkookumLogger.html
> I got put off at the beginning because it needed a WinKeyer to key morse,
> but I should take a look sometime.
> 73 de M0XDF, K3 #174
> --
> Life is an eternal challenge, a variant on Maeterlinck's theme that the
> Bluebird of happiness is by the side of each and everyone of us, always
> within reach, yet, if pursued to catch and possess is beyond our grasp. -
> Donald Campbell, CBE. (1921-1967)
>
> On 1 May 2010, at 18:58, Peter Wollan wrote:
>
> > I never got Rumlog running, because I had trouble installing MySQL --
> > I'm sure persistence would have overcome this, eventually.  What's
> > this Skookum Logger?  Google doesn't find it.

Re: Mac OS X and K3 Utility Opinions?

M0XDF
Yep, I meant RUMped too :-(

And I remembered why I wasn't so keen on SkookumLogger - it doesn't support microHam devices (but so few do anyway), so I have to switch to my KUSB, not really a problem though.
however, it is supposed to support a lot of contests, so I should look deeper.

Have a friend just purchased Aether and he seems impressed, so I'll check with him on the confirmations bit.

thanks
73 de M0XDF, K3 #174
--
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and
pretty soon you have a dozen.

On 1 May 2010, at 20:33, Rick Prather wrote:

> David,
>
> As noted above, you don't need SQL to run RUMlog.
>
> Also, since Tom has added so many nice features for the K3 in RUMlog it is definitely something to check out.
>
> I also use MacLoggerDX and run it along side RUMlog.
>
> I have found no reason to run Aether.  I can't imagine the use of a logger that won't keep track of confirmations and entities worked.
>
> Rick
> K6LE
>
> On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 11:17 AM, David Ferrington, M0XDF <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I couldn't get MySQL to install either and gave up on RumLog - I have MLDX anyway and understand Aether is good now, but haven't tried it. Not sure about SkookumLogger yet, you can find it athttp://web.me.com/wlmyers/K1GQ/SkookumLogger.html
> I got put off at the beginning because it needed a WinKeyer to key morse, but I should take a look sometime.
> 73 de M0XDF, K3 #174

Re: Mac OS X and K3 Utility Opinions?

M0XDF
Strange, works here, I just clicked it, you email line didn't wrap did it and break the link?
73 de M0XDF
--
Natural ability without education has more often attained to glory and virtue than education without natural ability. -Cicero, statesman, orator, writer (106-43 BC)