Max DC supply voltage for KX-1

david feldman-2
Is the KX-1 capable of operating from twelve NiMh cells (~16-17V at full
charge?) without being damaged? Interested in using it "self contained" (six
AA NiMh cells) or with additional supply voltage (more cells) added
externally and wired in series with the internal cells, and wonder what the
limit would be.

73 Dave WB0GAZ [hidden email]

Re: Max DC supply voltage for KX-1

W0rw
Hi Dave,
Wayne told me not to exceed the published DC Voltage...14VDC...
i may have gone above that a few times...
i have modified my KX1 to use 1/2 AA NiCad batteries and have an external
recharging socket on the side.
i use 10  1/2 AA's and 1 regular AA NiCad.
i can adjust the maximum voltage by mixing 1/2 AA's and regular AA's.
Paul  w0rw

Re: Max DC supply voltage for KX-1

Leigh L. Klotz Jr WA5ZNU
One idea I have been working on is using the flat 10 AA holder from
Mouser, which can be rubber-banded or Velcro'd to the bottom of the
KX1.  I got a few of them at $2 each.  The 2x5 holders fit into my waist
pack, but are unwieldy in use.  If I can figure out a way to carry the
10x1 holder in the waist pack I will switch to it.

Leigh WA5ZNU

Re: Max DC supply voltage for KX-1

david feldman-2
Thanks Leigh,

Quick trip to the Mouser catalog indicates two geometries for the 10
cell AA holders - "side-by-side", and two groups of 5 stacked, "two
layers of sardines" style.

I was thinking of something along the lines of the AA cell holder
used in the
FT817 - one layer, grid 5x2. While this would not likely fit neatly
under the KX-1
(I've not seen one in person), it might be closer than the two
offerings from Mouser.

Any idea of how to source a holder like the one in the FT-817?

73 Dave WB0GAZ [hidden email]