More PF keys - resend

M0XDF
I sent this over a month ago and had no response at all as far as I
know - I'm not expecting a response or direct reply from Wayne et'al -
they have plenty to do, but I'm surprised others didn't shoot me down
in flames or comment?

I've been meaning to send this for a while, but it’s a wish that
should probably be some way down the list (I'd prefer Ultimatic keying
first :-)

Unless I am mistaken, there are only 2 PF keys if you wish to use the
M1-M4 for message play, which I plan on when I get the KDVR3, so I've
avoided using them from day one (might have been a mistake). I'd like
to have more programmable function buttons.

One way of doing this could be an option to make PF1 and PF2
introductory buttons, where by you HOLD PFx followed by a TAP of a
number key 0-9, that would give two banks of ten keys.

The only issue then is that you have to HOLD PFx. Now, I don't tend to
use RIT or XIT much (maybe I should, maybe they are used more in CW
which I've not got into yet), so my suggestion is that there is also
an option to switch the TAP/HOLD function of PF1 and PF2, so TAP
introduces memory functions and HOLD is RIT/XIT.

I'd be interested in this last possibility as an option, even if the
banks of 10 programmable function keys could not be done.

To summarise I'm suggesting:

+ a CONFIG option to switch the PF keys from single key to group key,
maybe CONFIG:PFX GRP=OFF (the default) and CONFIG:PFX GRP=ON

+ if CONFIG:PFX GRP=ON, the numeric keys contain 10 functions for each
of PF1 & PF2, introduced by a PF key, no need for a terminating key,
you just get 10 memories per PF key

+ a CONFIG option to switch RIT/XIT and PF1/PF2 TAP/HOLD function,
maybe CONFIG:PFX TAP=OFF (the default) and CONFIG:PFX TAP=ON.

Also, one reason why I want more programmable keys is for B->A, one
solution would be to allow us to  configure XFIL to be be B->A
instead. I haven't used XFIL since I first tried it, so being able to
say CONFIG:XFIL=nor or CONFIG:XFIL=BA or ALT might be an option.

Yes, it's easy to suggest these things after the fact - maybe I just
need to learn to use the MENU more. Ah, the other option is to allow
us to promote CONFIG option to the MAIN MENU, rather like short menus/
my menu options?

73 de M0XDF, K3 #174
--
It came to me that reform should begin at home, and since that day I
have