More on K1 #2973

Doug Person-3
I received the KAT1 yesterday.  I immediately open the bag, sat down at
my work table and went non-stop until it was completed.  Everything went
together perfectly and it worked on first attempt.  The net result is
that it can tune my 160' open wire fed doublet on 80, 40, 30, and 20
with no problems.  I had some great QSO's running 6 to 7 watts out and
getting 599++ reports on 40 and 80.  I would say the tuner is doing a
great job coupling the K1's minimal power to the antenna.  Tuning takes
5 to 8 seconds initially and the K1 reports its final swr in a simple
display.

I did go back to the K2 after a hour of K1 operation.  The K2's receiver
was clearly superior as one would expect.  They both shared that
silky-smooth, quiet, click-free QSK that makes for the best cw operating
experience possible.

All in all, the K1 remains a great kit-building experience and I would
certainly recommend it if your at all like me with a fully tricked out
K2 and an itch to melt more solder.

73, Doug -- K0DXV