More on PSK31 and HRD DigiMaster 780

Ron Midwin
Since I am able to connect HRD to my K-3 and make all controls of the K-3 in
HRD, I am trying to figure out if there's a way for me to connect my
computer thru 780 to the sound card in the K-3?

Is there a driver I need to download in order for 780 to show the sound
card?  What is the K-3 sound card called?

I am able to use the sound card in the computer, but since the radio has its
own, using it would free up the computer sound card for other functions...

73,

Ron
AE6RH
S/N 1997

Ron Midwin
Midwin & Olifson, Inc.
2001 S. Barrington Ave. #120
Los Angeles, CA 90025
310-880-0699 (Cell)
[hidden email]

Re: More on PSK31 and HRD DigiMaster 780

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

> Since I am able to connect HRD to my K-3 and make all
> controls of the K-3 in HRD, I am trying to figure out if
> there's a way for me to connect my computer thru 780 to the
> sound card in the K-3?

The K3 does not include a sound card.  You will need to use
the soundcard in your computer or add a second (perhaps USB)
soundcard to your system.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV

Oh really?

I thought the K-3 has its own sound card which is how you can detect PSK31
without a computer?

Is there a good application note that defines all this for us "novices" at
PSK31?

While I'm at it, then is the Signal Link USB I just sold, based on a
recommendation on this site, really something that is needed for optimum
PSK31 performance?

Please note that I am able to work PSK31 with the sound card in my PC, thru
1/8 inch stereo cables to the in/out on the K-3, but I'm trying to not use
the PC's sound card for this, so I can use it for other modes
simultaneously, like EchoLink?

What I'd really like to hear from is someone who considers himself to have
mastered PSK31 on the K3.  I also have DigiPan, which is supported by the
N6FN's Nifty Guide to PSK31 Operation, which seems to be the most complete
text on the subject.

73,

De AE6RH

Ron Midwin
Midwin & Olifson, Inc.
2001 S. Barrington Ave. #120
Los Angeles, CA 90025
310-880-0699 (Cell)
[hidden email]

> Since I am able to connect HRD to my K-3 and make all
> controls of the K-3 in HRD, I am trying to figure out if
> there's a way for me to connect my computer thru 780 to the
> sound card in the K-3?

The K3 does not include a sound card.  You will need to use
the soundcard in your computer or add a second (perhaps USB)
soundcard to your system.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV

07:08:00

Re: More on PSK31 and HRD DigiMaster 780

Patrick Skerrett
Ron,

You can do basic PSK decoding with the on-board detector in the K3, but
you'll never approach the PSK performance that you can achieve with a
separate dedicated sound card.

I use DM780 daily for ragchews, and Writelog for contesting.

I currently have 4 sound cards in my PC, and am considering a 5th :)

The K3 is an amazing radio for PSK, with it's isolated audio in & out's,
plus the wonderful filtering capabilities, but you absolutely should
proceed with a dedicated sound card interface for digital modes to get
the most out of it.

73,
W9PDS

Ron Midwin wrote:

> Oh really?
>
> I thought the K-3 has its own sound card which is how you can detect PSK31
> without a computer?
>
> Is there a good application note that defines all this for us "novices" at
> PSK31?
>
> While I'm at it, then is the Signal Link USB I just sold, based on a
> recommendation on this site, really something that is needed for optimum
> PSK31 performance?
>
> Please note that I am able to work PSK31 with the sound card in my PC, thru
> 1/8 inch stereo cables to the in/out on the K-3, but I'm trying to not use
> the PC's sound card for this, so I can use it for other modes
> simultaneously, like EchoLink?
>
> What I'd really like to hear from is someone who considers himself to have
> mastered PSK31 on the K3.  I also have DigiPan, which is supported by the
> N6FN's Nifty Guide to PSK31 Operation, which seems to be the most complete
> text on the subject.
>
> 73,
>
> De AE6RH
>
> Ron Midwin
> Midwin & Olifson, Inc.
> 2001 S. Barrington Ave. #120
> Los Angeles, CA 90025
> 310-880-0699 (Cell)
> [hidden email]

Re: More on PSK31 and HRD DigiMaster 780

Ron,

The K3 has a "text decoder" which can de-code CW, PSK or RTTY.  With the
K3, one can enter CW via the paddles and have it converted to RTTY ot
PSK31.  The combination of the two allows one to operate those modes
without a computer.
Check the manual section on Text Decode and Display for more information.

If you want more than text displayed than the width of the VFO B display
area allows, or you want a waterfall display, then you will need to
connect a computer soundcard to the K3 Line-in and Line-out jacks.  No
interface box is needed, just two stereo cables with 3.5mm plugs at each
end - the K3 line-in and line-out jacks are transformer isolated.  You
can operate with just those two cables if you use VOX, but IMHO, a
better solution is to use a serial cable from the computer to the K3
(you need to have one available for firmware loads anyway)  for PTT.
Set the software application to use either RTS or DTR for PTT and set
the K3 CONFIG: PTT-KEY  menu parameter to match the application setting.

73,
Don  W3FPR

Ron Midwin wrote:

> Oh really?
>
> I thought the K-3 has its own sound card which is how you can detect PSK31
> without a computer?
>
> Is there a good application note that defines all this for us "novices" at
> PSK31?
>
> While I'm at it, then is the Signal Link USB I just sold, based on a
> recommendation on this site, really something that is needed for optimum
> PSK31 performance?
>
> Please note that I am able to work PSK31 with the sound card in my PC, thru
> 1/8 inch stereo cables to the in/out on the K-3, but I'm trying to not use
> the PC's sound card for this, so I can use it for other modes
> simultaneously, like EchoLink?
>
> What I'd really like to hear from is someone who considers himself to have
> mastered PSK31 on the K3.  I also have DigiPan, which is supported by the
> N6FN's Nifty Guide to PSK31 Operation, which seems to be the most complete
> text on the subject.
>
> 73,
>
> De AE6RH

Re: More on PSK31 and HRD DigiMaster 780

jd-2-3
A little off topic but the same programs. I'm also using DM-780 and all
seems to be fine.
I'm just wondering, on transmit I hear the output in my speaker connected to
the K3, is that
Normal?
Is there any way to lower this it's pretty distracting sometimes. I have the
volume control turned down but this seems to be preset.
I'm using the Infrasonic Quartet sound card.
Any help would be appreciated.

73, Jeff
N0OST

Ron Midwin wrote:

> Oh really?
>
> I thought the K-3 has its own sound card which is how you can detect PSK31
> without a computer?
>
> Is there a good application note that defines all this for us "novices" at
> PSK31?
>
> While I'm at it, then is the Signal Link USB I just sold, based on a
> recommendation on this site, really something that is needed for optimum
> PSK31 performance?
>
> Please note that I am able to work PSK31 with the sound card in my PC,
thru

> 1/8 inch stereo cables to the in/out on the K-3, but I'm trying to not use
> the PC's sound card for this, so I can use it for other modes
> simultaneously, like EchoLink?
>
> What I'd really like to hear from is someone who considers himself to have
> mastered PSK31 on the K3.  I also have DigiPan, which is supported by the
> N6FN's Nifty Guide to PSK31 Operation, which seems to be the most complete
> text on the subject.
>
> 73,
>
> De AE6RH
>
> Ron Midwin
> Midwin & Olifson, Inc.
> 2001 S. Barrington Ave. #120
> Los Angeles, CA 90025
> 310-880-0699 (Cell)
> [hidden email]

Re: More on PSK31 and HRD DigiMaster 780

Don Wilhelm-4
Jeff,

I have a similar setup with external speakers connected to the K3 rear
panel speaker jack and have no problem turning the AF Gain down to zero.
Are you certain you are hearing the speaker connected to the K3?  You
could be hearing sound from the computer speakers, and that is a problem
to be taken care of in the computer.

Jeff wrote:

> A little off topic but the same programs. I'm also using DM-780 and all
> seems to be fine.
> I'm just wondering, on transmit I hear the output in my speaker connected to
> the K3, is that
> Normal?
> Is there any way to lower this it's pretty distracting sometimes. I have the
> volume control turned down but this seems to be preset.
> I'm using the Infrasonic Quartet sound card.
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> 73, Jeff
> N0OST

Re: More on PSK31 and HRD DigiMaster 780

KK7P
> ...I'm also using DM-780 and all seems to be fine.
> I'm just wondering, on transmit I hear the output in my speaker connected to
> the K3, is that Normal?

This is controlled by the MON level setting control.

73,

Lyle KK7P

Re: More on PSK31 and HRD DigiMaster 780

Greg - AB7R
HOLD the CMP/PWR knob to activate the MON level and adjust as desired.

73
Greg
AB7R

On Apr 18, 2009, at 1:47 PM, Jeff wrote:

> A little off topic but the same programs. I'm also using DM-780 and
> all
> seems to be fine.
> I'm just wondering, on transmit I hear the output in my speaker
> connected to
> the K3, is that
> Normal?
> Is there any way to lower this it's pretty distracting sometimes. I
> have the
> volume control turned down but this seems to be preset.
> I'm using the Infrasonic Quartet sound card.
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> 73, Jeff
> N0OST

You're all correct, I had the Monitor turned up.....didn't see that one
coming.

Thanks everyone! I knew you guys would bail me out.

73, Jeff
N0OST