Mounting the Battery Holders in the KX-1

Mounting the Battery Holders in the KX-1

Phil Barnes-Roberts WA6DZS
(With photos, too large for the reflector)
The Problem:
<http://wa6dzs.blogspot.com/2010/09/mounting-battery-holders-in-kx-1.html>
The Fix:
<http://wa6dzs.blogspot.com/2010/09/fix-mounting-battery-holders-in-kx-1.html>

--
'---O=o=O---'
73, Phil Barnes-Roberts WA6DZS  DM04we | Mailto:pbarnrob at ACM dot org

Re: Mounting the Battery Holders in the KX-1

Joe Planisky
I ran into exactly the same problem building my KX1.  It seemed like
the screws provided with the kit were just too short; only a turn or
two of the thread was engaging (and immediately stripping out.)

I had some longer 2-56 screws and verified that there was still good
thread in the holes.  I was able to make it work by carefully trimming
the longer screws to just the right length with a Dremel tool.  The
longer screws fully engaged all the threads in the holes and hold the
battery holders securely.

Joe KB8AP

On Sep 27, 2010, at 7:03 PM, Phil Barnes-Roberts WA6DZS wrote:

> (With photos, too large for the reflector)
> The Problem:
> <http://wa6dzs.blogspot.com/2010/09/mounting-battery-holders-in-kx-1.html
> >
> The Fix:
> <http://wa6dzs.blogspot.com/2010/09/fix-mounting-battery-holders-in-kx-1.html
> >

> --
> '---O=o=O---'
> 73, Phil Barnes-Roberts WA6DZS  DM04we | Mailto:pbarnrob at ACM dot
> org
> 42 is not an answer, it's an error code.  The universe is saying
> 'Error 42: meaning to universe not found'  --DoctorMO,
> ubuntuforums.org

Re: Mounting the Battery Holders in the KX-1

  Phil,

I have built many KX1s, and I believe the plastic "feet" on the battery
holders has increased in height some time ago.
So recently, I have been cutting about 1/32 to 1/16 inch off the plastic
before attempting to mount the battery holders.  No problems have been
encountered since I began doing that.  It would be nice if the screws
would be just a bit longer, and I have searched hardware supplier's
websites and cannot find any of an appropriate length - they go from 1/8
inch (the current size) to 1/4 inch - no 3/16 inch available.  Work
carefully if you try slicing off a bit of the plastic, and use a sharp
knife - a dull knife will slip and become a dangerous tool.