Mounting the KAT100-1 under the K2?

Tom Althoff
Is there anyone on this list who can confirm that the top cover screws of the KAT100-1 are directly inline with the bottom cover screws of the K2?

Has anyone attempted to use 4-40 threaded rod and nuts to anchor the KAT100-1 beneath the K2?   I would like to try that once I get my KAT100-1.

Tom K2TA
K2 #1117

Re: Mounting the KAT100-1 under the K2?

Tom Althoff
Please ignore...there is not a 1:1 relationship between the screws on top of
the KAT100-1 and the bottom of the K2.  Drilling is required.

Re: Mounting the KAT100-1 under the K2?

Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604
It seems to me that the right way to do this is a set of side panels
for the combined set of K2 and KAT100.

Some day, maybe.

73, doug

   From: "Tom Althoff" <[hidden email]>
   Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 17:31:32 -0500

   Please ignore...there is not a 1:1 relationship between the screws on top of
   the KAT100-1 and the bottom of the K2.  Drilling is required.

Re: Mounting the KAT100-1 under the K2?

Tom Althoff
It would be nice if there were side panels to do that plus a modified top
cover on the KAT100-1 with recessed cups for the 4 feet of the K2 to drop
down into so that when all was said and done the radio/tuner would become
one unit, solid side panels and flush with no gap between them along the
front mating edge.   And wouldn't it be cool if the IO buss could be passed
down directly into the KAT-100 instead of tying up the DB-9 connector at the
back of both units.

   From: "Tom Althoff" <[hidden email]>
   Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 19:20:04 -0500

   It would be nice if there were side panels to do that plus a modified top
   cover on the KAT100-1 with recessed cups for the 4 feet of the K2 to drop
   down into so that when all was said and done the radio/tuner would become
   one unit, solid side panels and flush with no gap between them along the
   front mating edge.   And wouldn't it be cool if the IO buss could be passed
   down directly into the KAT-100 instead of tying up the DB-9 connector at the
   back of both units.

Note that there is an airvent on the bottom of the K2 for cooling the
low power PA transistors, so airflow to that probably needs to be
maintained.

Otherwise you could just remove the feet of the K2.  Maybe if you also
removed the top cover of the KAT-100?  Mine is loaned out, so I can't
actually look at them.

73, doug