My "Attitude"

Jim Brown-10
Crew,

Some feel that my posts are sometimes harshly worded. Perhaps they
are. But it seems to me that someone with a General Class ham
license, and especilly someone with an Extra Class ticket, ought to
have spent some time studying something more than the Study Guide to
pass the exam. This is ham radio, not CB radio. A ham license is not
a boxtop license. As hams, we are granted rather extensive operating
privileges on the basis of our technical knowledge, our advancement
of the state of the art, and our preparedness for emergencies. As
hams, it is our responsibility to STUDY this stuff.

The ARRL Handbook is very well written, and includes chapters that
cover all of this material in a manner that is quite readable. You
don't have to have a lot of math or physics or engineering background
to understand it. All you have to do is make a serious effort.

I admit to being a grandfatherly curmudgeon. And I'm probably going
to stay that way until they throw dirt on me.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC

Re: My "Attitude"

K8RDD
Or maybe you don't listen very well. I said nothing about a several volt
signal. I'm talking about 40 over s9. Maybe I should have explained it
better to the group. No the nb is not on as this will cause distortion
depending upon the blanking level. (IF) blanking. I expected that some would
trust that others actually know as much or more than some and know better
than making  the mistake of feeding a several volt signal or having the
blanker on at a high level and not seeing distortion. Or maybe we can be
helpful and not flame. This is not cb so maybe we should be less critical of
others. Cb'ers would flame. And you have no idea that I'm an EE for General
Electric. I'll forgive you. Maybe we can just relax and act like ham's not
Cb'ers..  ;)
Randy
K8RDD
> Some feel that my posts are sometimes harshly worded. Perhaps they
> are. But it seems to me that someone with a General Class ham
> license, and especilly someone with an Extra Class ticket, ought to
> have spent some time studying something more than the Study Guide to
> pass the exam. This is ham radio, not CB radio. A ham license is not
> a boxtop license. As hams, we are granted rather extensive operating
> privileges on the basis of our technical knowledge, our advancement
> of the state of the art, and our preparedness for emergencies. As
> hams, it is our responsibility to STUDY this stuff.
>
> The ARRL Handbook is very well written, and includes chapters that
> cover all of this material in a manner that is quite readable. You
> don't have to have a lot of math or physics or engineering background
> to understand it. All you have to do is make a serious effort.
>
> I admit to being a grandfatherly curmudgeon. And I'm probably going
> to stay that way until they throw dirt on me.
>
> 73,
>
> Jim Brown K9YC

Re: My "Attitude"

Jim Brown-10
On Mon, 4 May 2009 16:55:02 -0400, Randy Downs wrote:

>Or maybe you don't listen very well.

Possible. But I sure thought I read that the overload was occuring
on another mobile "parked in the same driveway" and the signal from
a dipole used by another station in whose driveway they were parked.
Do the math on that and you can get several volts, depending on
antenna types, directivity, and proximity. S-meters are notoriously
inaccurate, especially at their upper and lower limits, even on a
K3.

73,

Jim K9YC

Driveway Distortion Demolition Derby

Guy, K2AV
Two 100w mobiles in the same driveway and expecting linear response from the
RX in one while transmitting on the other?  Talking about volts across the
antenna jack (or any of the connecting cables) here.  Who's the EE?  S9 is
50 uv.  1 volt = 20 log 1/ .000050  = 86 over S9.  Maybe ten volts on the
antenna.  That's 106 over S9.

Hearing some kind of distortion on a 100 over S9 signal is some kind of
desperately grave trouble in a K3 trouble worth attention?  Really want
Wayne spend precious development time figuring that out?  Personally I vote
for 10 Hz granularity on CW using width and shift.

Thought the customary form of communication from thirty feet was audio off
the lips.  Need 100 watts on 60m to communicate thirty feet?  Audio
distortion could be the driveway version of RF in the shack. 10 volts
externally imposed RF wandering around on your cable of choice is a formula
for wierdness no matter where the station.

Someone is really lucky they didn't smoke something.  And if the K3 did get
toasted in this driveway radio demolition derby, that would be the K3's
fault too, right?  Double fault, K3 was distorting the audio while the front
end was being roasted.  Bad K3.  Bad K3.

Some of the radios bandied about earlier were specifically designed in World
War II to survive conditions related to an enemy was trying to kill the
operator.  I'd call that a design standard specifically requested and paid
for.  Since one tank could be next to another, I'd call that reasonable.

Such radios ARE still made and paid for.  You really want to go pay for
military grade radios, you can get them, at a price far exceeding the MSRP
for a K3.  Use a kilowatt in your driveway. No problem.  Use 10 kw in your
driveway like the CB powerfests. No problem.

Personally I'd like to keep the features I pay for confined to peacetime,
and it does not occur to me as good practice to be transmitting high power
in the same driveway with another radio on-band with a tuned antenna.
Others may see it differently but I consider the situation in the first
paragraph as being careless with a friend's property.

We have contest stations with such situations possible, but we use filters,
stubs, remote receiving antennas, etc,  to make it possible to operate with
nowhere near a volt on-band.  Sometimes use radios borrowed from friends,
and guess who pays to repair a smoked front-end, and guess which embarrassed
soul has to explain same to friend.

Whether the audio was distorted in a smoke-it episode is really a low grade
consideration.

73,  Guy.

Re: Driveway Distortion Demolition Derby

ROBERT CARROLL-4
Guy-

That's a nice response to  a really ridiculous complaint.
73
Bob W2WG

Re: Driveway Distortion Demolition Derby

Steve Ellington
The complaint was not "ridiculous". The original observation was....The K3
distorts and the FT-817 doesn't under the same conditions.

The poor guy was called stupid, ridiculous, ignorant and told he needs to
"study" and go back to school.

I think he has a good question and I have yet to see a logical answer.
Claims that the K3 is "souped up" and exempt from strong signal overload is
the ridiculous part!

If the K3 distorts on 109DB signals and the FT-817 doesn't then so be it.
It's a weakness. Just leave it at that. I'm sure the 817 has plenty more
weaknesses!

Let's not let this list get like the TenTec reflector. Mention something
negative there and you are immediately put down or soon thrown off.

I've recently subscribed to the IC-7600 Yahoo group just to watch how the
new radio was doing. So far I've seen two concerns. Some have a dimmer
screen saver than others and a few have had to do a master reset because of
audio drop out and it's starting to look like a glitch in some 3rd party rig
control program causing that. Otherwise, everyone seems satisfied. Of
course, those guys know that ICOM isn't going to respond to anything that's
said so maybe they just don't bother.

I'm still enjoying my K3. Things have been rather lopsided lately however. I
am able to copy cw through the QRN better than the other guy, especially
when I take advantage of the NR. This gives me er...maybe 6db advantage or
so. Therefore I've ordered an ALS-600 to help make up the difference. The
K3's superior receiver is costing me money!
Steve Ellington
[hidden email]
> That's a nice response to  a really ridiculous complaint.
> 73
> Bob W2WG

Re: My "Attitude"

JIM DAVIS-11
On Mon, 04 May 2009 13:23:40 -0700
  "Jim Brown" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Crew,
>
> Some feel that my posts are sometimes harshly worded. Perhaps they
> are. But it seems to me that someone with a General Class ham
> license, and especilly someone with an Extra Class ticket, ought to
> have spent some time studying something more than the Study Guide to
> pass the exam. This is ham radio, not CB radio. A ham license is not
> a boxtop license. As hams, we are granted rather extensive operating
> privileges on the basis of our technical knowledge, our advancement
> of the state of the art, and our preparedness for emergencies. As
> hams, it is our responsibility to STUDY this stuff.
>
> The ARRL Handbook is very well written, and includes chapters that
> cover all of this material in a manner that is quite readable. You
> don't have to have a lot of math or physics or engineering background
> to understand it. All you have to do is make a serious effort.
>
> I admit to being a grandfatherly curmudgeon. And I'm probably going
> to stay that way until they throw dirt on me.
>
> 73,
>
> Jim Brown K9YC

Jim,

There's nothing wrong with your "attitude" !  In fact I agree with it completely, as it seems
that the people that are getting into the hobby recently really don't know how to fully utilize
their equipment nor their antenna arrays. One buddy of mine who recently got his "EXTRA" (no-code)
and he had even suggested that guys who wanted to get the "Extra" should spend at least (2)yrs
operating as a (General) before being allowed to get the TOP license!
  If you've ever heard alot of the newer guys on the air their electrical knowledge and operating
practices are rather lacking (even lacking the knowledge
of something as BASIC as "Ohm's Laws"), now that's BAD!!!
  At least the vast majority of guys who were licensed before the 1980s really did have to
understand
the electrical theory to pass the exams.  Memorization just would not work then as it seems to
now!

Jim/nn6ee
S/N 2406

Re: Driveway Distortion Demolition Derby

hb9ari@bluewin.ch
Hello Steve,

I totally agree with you!
I get very severe overloading problems with a Winradio G313/180e and the
only
proposed solution by a group member was to use a smaller antenna!
I'm using an horizontal loop ~96 m perimeter and with this same antenna,
no problem with my K3. As i'm working mainly with JT65A(50W) and PSKnn
(25W),
i get very good results. For SSB, like you for CW, i will be "obliged"
to add some dB to
be able to be heard by a lot of stations perfectly received!( my idea is
not to "break" pile-up!)

73 QRO fr Rudolf, HB9ARI
(66yo ham since 1970 but "younger" since i can play with my K3 #1212!)

Steve Ellington wrote:

> The complaint was not "ridiculous". The original observation was....The K3
> distorts and the FT-817 doesn't under the same conditions.
>
> The poor guy was called stupid, ridiculous, ignorant and told he needs to
> "study" and go back to school.
>
> I think he has a good question and I have yet to see a logical answer.
> Claims that the K3 is "souped up" and exempt from strong signal overload is
> the ridiculous part!
>
> If the K3 distorts on 109DB signals and the FT-817 doesn't then so be it.
> It's a weakness. Just leave it at that. I'm sure the 817 has plenty more
> weaknesses!
>
> Let's not let this list get like the TenTec reflector. Mention something
> negative there and you are immediately put down or soon thrown off.
>
> I've recently subscribed to the IC-7600 Yahoo group just to watch how the
> new radio was doing. So far I've seen two concerns. Some have a dimmer
> screen saver than others and a few have had to do a master reset because of
> audio drop out and it's starting to look like a glitch in some 3rd party rig
> control program causing that. Otherwise, everyone seems satisfied. Of
> course, those guys know that ICOM isn't going to respond to anything that's
> said so maybe they just don't bother.
>
> I'm still enjoying my K3. Things have been rather lopsided lately however. I
> am able to copy cw through the QRN better than the other guy, especially
> when I take advantage of the NR. This gives me er...maybe 6db advantage or
> so. Therefore I've ordered an ALS-600 to help make up the difference. The
> K3's superior receiver is costing me money!
> Steve Ellington
> [hidden email]

Bruce Bowman
Unrelated to the K3 performance complaint, what happened to the 50 watt
PEP limit for US stations on 60-m? Has that been changed?

Bruce, NM5B

> That's a nice response to  a really ridiculous complaint.
> 73
> Bob W2WG

n7ws

> Unrelated to the K3 performance complaint, what happened to
> the 50 watt
> PEP limit for US stations on 60-m?

Nothing.

Has that been changed?

No.

But the rule is 50 ERP, defined as 50 W into a 0 dBd antenna.  A mobile whip has a lot lower gain than 0 dBd, in case that's where you were headed.

Re: Driveway Distortion Demolition Derby

AC7AC
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Driveway Distortion Demolition Derby

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

> Wes is quite right for the USA at least, and to make it easy
> on us the FCC defines a 1/2 wave dipole as a "0 dBd" antenna
> even though most 1/2 wave antennas show some gain over isotropic.

Is that a dipole in free space or a dipole over ground?

A dipole over ground will generally have a peak gain of
8.3 to 8.5 dBi depending on the dipole mounting height and
the angle (elevation) at which the measurement is made.

Given the efficiency of a mobile whip, transmitter output
power could probably be 500 watts before the ERP would
be equivalent to 50 watts to a dipole with 8.5 dBi gain.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV

The rules seem to be mute on this, but I imagine the idea is a theoretical, free-space dipole.

> A dipole over ground will generally have a peak gain of
> 8.3 to 8.5 dBi depending on the dipole mounting height and
> the angle (elevation) at which the measurement is made.
>
> Given the efficiency of a mobile whip, transmitter output
> power could probably be 500 watts before the ERP would
> be equivalent to 50 watts to a dipole with 8.5 dBi gain.

I did a quick EZNEC calculation of an 2.4 M tall whip with 20 ohm ground loss (not unreasonable and likely conservative) and the "gain" is about -11 dBd.

Wes N7WS

On Wed, 6 May 2009 09:57:11 -0700 (PDT), Wes Stewart wrote:

>The rules seem to be mute on this, but I imagine the idea is a
>theoretical, free-space dipole.

Since FCC rules are written for a transmitter in the USA, I would
assume they mean a resonant wire dipole suspended above the earth at
heights hams would typically use. Using this interpretation, one
would need to reduce power if running into a Yagi, but could run
considerably more power into a mobile whip.

73,

Jim K9YC

Re: Driveway Distortion Demolition Derby [END of thread]

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Let's let this thread rest too.
Eric

> ntenna.  A mobile whip has a lot lower gain than 0 dBd, in case that's where you were headed.

Re: Driveway Distortion Demolition Derby [END of thread]

WILLIS COOKE

AMEN!

Willis 'Cookie' Cooke
K5EWJ

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Driveway Distortion Demolition Derby

Don Wilhelm-4
Ron,

The FCC regulations for 60 meter power is referenced to the maximum lobe
of a dipole.  Sooo --
That should be "0 dBd" (gain/loss relative to a dipole) rather than "0
dBi" (gain relative to an isotropic radiator).
If my recollection is correct, 0 dBd is 2.15 dB greater than 0 dBi in
the dipole's favored directions (perpendicular to the radiator).
For those not familiar with an isotropic radiator, it is a point
construct in free-space that radiates equally in all directions.

Ron D'Eau Claire wrote:

> Exactly. As I observed, a dipole typically shows gain over an isotropic
> radiator. The FCC rules don't say other than to assume a dipole has a gain
> of 0 dBi for the purposes of this regulation.
>
> You can find more details and the complete text of the rules here:
>
> http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulations/faq-60.html#three
>
> Ron AC7AC

dBi dBd correction

AC7AC
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: dBi dBd correction

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

> If my recollection is correct, 0 dBd is 2.15 dB greater than
> 0 dBi in the dipole's favored directions (perpendicular to the
> radiator).

Only in free space ... when a horizontal dipole is placed
above ground all of the radiated power is concentrated in
one hemisphere.  Since both the E and H fields are confined
to the single hemisphere, the resulting "gain" is 6 dB more
than the free space gain or 8.17 dBi (1.25 + 6.02).

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV