My K3's hissy and noisy audio

Re: My K3's hissy and noisy audio

Stewart Baker
That's my view as well.

Stewart G3RXQ
On Sun, 5 Apr 2009 17:09:08 -0400, Steve Ellington wrote:

> Perhaps the band noise is more obvious in the K3 because the low frequency
> audio is restricted causing the noise to be distributed over a more narrow
> range. This lack of bass tends to induce for ear fatigue.
> Steve Ellington
> [hidden email]

P.B. Christensen
> Perhaps the band noise is more obvious in the K3 because the low frequency
> audio is restricted causing the noise to be distributed over a more narrow
> range. This lack of bass tends to induce for ear fatigue.
> Steve Ellington

I agree with Steve on this one.  Once more low-end was rolled into my audio
hardware changes, I noticed a significant reduction in my own listener
fatigue.

Others have noted the K3's audio frequency response variance across
different headphone models, most notably the Heil product.  The K3's
headphone circuit uses 10 uF of series capacitance from the headphone amp to
each of the headphone coils.

For the moment, assume that your headphones are 32-ohms (ref 100Hz).  What
is the best possible low-end response from the K3?  The answer is 500 Hz
@ -3dB.  That part of the circuit needs some help.  With a headphone Z even
lower toward 8-ohms, the attenuation of bass response is worse.

Now upgrade the series caps to 330 uF and re-run the calculation.  With
32-ohm phones (ref 100 Hz), the frequency response improves to 15 Hz.  Now
that's t real Hi-Fi on par with what Icom delivers and the difference is
immediately noticeable to anyone -- not just the folks with "golden ears."

Finally, compare the result of the modified K3 with the Icom '7700 or '7800.

Paul, W9AC

Re: My K3's hissy and noisy audio

Stewart Baker
Audio response seems to be a difficult area for Elecraft.
SSB from the K2 often received poor reports because of the
excessive LF response in the TX audio stages.
It could be cured by reducing coupling capacitor values.
The K3 RX audio appears to need the opposite approach.

Stewart G3RXQ

On Mon, 6 Apr 2009 06:54:21 -0400, Paul Christensen wrote:
>> Perhaps the band noise is more obvious in the K3 because the
low frequency
>> audio is restricted causing the noise to be distributed over a
more narrow
>> range. This lack of bass tends to induce for ear fatigue.
>> Steve Ellington
>
> I agree with Steve on this one.  Once more low-end was rolled
into my audio
> hardware changes, I noticed a significant reduction in my own
listener
> fatigue.
>
> Others have noted the K3's audio frequency response variance
across
> different headphone models, most notably the Heil product.  The
K3's
> headphone circuit uses 10 uF of series capacitance from the
headphone amp to
> each of the headphone coils.
>
> For the moment, assume that your headphones are 32-ohms (ref
100Hz).  What
> is the best possible low-end response from the K3?  The answer
is 500 Hz
> @ -3dB.  That part of the circuit needs some help.  With a
headphone Z even
> lower toward 8-ohms, the attenuation of bass response is worse.
>
> Now upgrade the series caps to 330 uF and re-run the
calculation.  With
> 32-ohm phones (ref 100 Hz), the frequency response improves to
15 Hz.  Now
> that's t real Hi-Fi on par with what Icom delivers and the
difference is
> immediately noticeable to anyone -- not just the folks with
"golden ears."

> Finally, compare the result of the modified K3 with the Icom
'7700 or '7800.

> Paul, W9AC

> Please help support this email list:
http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

Re: My K3's hissy and noisy audio

Ignacy
AGC settings and AF gain interact. With no signal you may have lots or little audio. Also, full audio can be at 20% of 50% gain.

When looking at the spectrum of a CW signal one clearly see the third and the fifth harmonics. Not sure whether they are real or artifacts of a sound card but K3 sounds a bit harsher than K2. These harmonics were part of a thread here by hams from the UA land; it was followed by the AF mod.. I am not sure whether my radio has already this fix(# around 2200).
Ignacy

Eric Scace K3NA wrote
I have very sensitive in-ear monitors.  The K3 (and the Orion, and
possibly other radios) has significant hiss.  I inserted an attenuator
and knocked the hiss down below my ability to detect it.  There is
plenty of audio range remaining.

You may find 10 to 20 dB will help.

Re: My K3's hissy and noisy audio

Steve Ellington
Paul
I can see how this mod would improve headphone audio but what about low
frequency audio for the speaker(s)?
Steve Ellington
[hidden email]
>> Perhaps the band noise is more obvious in the K3 because the low
>> frequency
>> audio is restricted causing the noise to be distributed over a more
>> narrow
>> range. This lack of bass tends to induce for ear fatigue.
>> Steve Ellington
>
> I agree with Steve on this one.  Once more low-end was rolled into my
> audio
> hardware changes, I noticed a significant reduction in my own listener
> fatigue.
>
> Others have noted the K3's audio frequency response variance across
> different headphone models, most notably the Heil product.  The K3's
> headphone circuit uses 10 uF of series capacitance from the headphone amp
> each of the headphone coils.
>
> For the moment, assume that your headphones are 32-ohms (ref 100Hz).  What
> is the best possible low-end response from the K3?  The answer is 500 Hz
> @ -3dB.  That part of the circuit needs some help.  With a headphone Z
> even
> lower toward 8-ohms, the attenuation of bass response is worse.
>
> Now upgrade the series caps to 330 uF and re-run the calculation.  With
> 32-ohm phones (ref 100 Hz), the frequency response improves to 15 Hz.  Now
> that's t real Hi-Fi on par with what Icom delivers and the difference is
> immediately noticeable to anyone -- not just the folks with "golden ears."
>
> Finally, compare the result of the modified K3 with the Icom '7700 or
> '7800.
>
> Paul, W9AC

Re: My K3's hissy and noisy audio

P.B. Christensen
Steve,

Someone else responded to me in private with the same question.  Here's my
answer:

"The K3 speaker output has something like 470 uF of C in series with the
speaker output amp.  That's reasonably adequate.  The problem with the K3
speaker's bass frequency response is not the electrical circuit.  Rather,
the K3's speaker has low-end response limitations due to the fact that the
speaker is in not encased by an adequate baffle.  The back wave of any
speaker driven by a coil is 180-degrees out of phase with the forward wave.
Although the K3's speaker is mounted to a metal surface, too many openings
near it allow for the short circuit of the acoustical front and back waves
at low frequencies.

The degree to which acoustical wave cancellation occurs is a function of
distance.  At low frequencies, quite a bit of isolation distance is
required.  Typically, commercial speakers are encased (although some are
ported to a resonance) to produce a virtual infinite distance through the
use of the so-called infinite baffle.

We've all done this experiment before at some point in our electronics
education: Simply place an open speaker driver on a desk just sitting there
and listen to low frequency tones.  Then, take that same speaker and place
it in an enclosure, or behind a large surface.  The speaker placed by itself
on the desktop sounds vastly inferior in bass
response when compared to the same speaker enclosed in a box or placed
behind a surface like wall or ceiling.

For the K3, the fix is relatively easy.  Simply enclose the back of the
speaker driver with a solid substance like plastic.  I used the top of a
spray paint can and modified it slightly to fit around the K3's support
truss."

Incidentally, there's another interesting acoustical mechanism that assists
our brains with bass content.  If it were not for this effect, our
perception of low-frequency content would be worse than it is when we listen
to small speakers whose low-end response is restricted.  In effect, our
brains create a missing fundamental when it detects the presence of multiple
harmonics of a single fundamental that should be there in the first place.
Among auditory professionals, this effect is referred to as "Phenomenon of
the Missing Fundamental."

http://www.phys.uconn.edu/~gibson/Notes/Section7_4/Sec7_4.htm

Paul, W9AC

> I can see how this mod would improve headphone audio but what about low
> frequency audio for the speaker(s)?
> Steve Ellington
> [hidden email]

K3 audio

wayne burdick
Maarten,

If you send me recordings of your K3 audio (and if possible, recordings
of your other rig's audio for comparison), Lyle and I will listen to
them and see if we think there's anything wrong (excessive hiss,
harshness, etc.). This is certainly not the case with my K3 or any of
those I've tested in my lab.

If it turns out that nothing is broken, but that you perceive another
rig to be better in some way, then we will try to improve the K3 to
your satisfaction. Comparative recordings are the first step.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

---

http://www.elecraft.com

Re: My K3's hissy and noisy audio

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

> Now upgrade the series caps to 330 uF and re-run the
> calculation.  With 32-ohm phones (ref 100 Hz), the frequency
> response improves to 15 Hz.  Now that's t real Hi-Fi on par
> with what Icom delivers and the difference is immediately
> noticeable to anyone -- not just the folks with "golden ears."

On the other hand, plug a Heil ProSet with its 200 Ohm elements
into an unmodified K3 and the -3dB point is 80 Hz ... low enough
for communications use without being overly sensitive to hum and
other low frequency noise,   Similarly, with 8 Ohm speakers, the
-3 dB point is 40 Hz with the 470 uF coupling capacitors in the
speaker amp.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV

Re: K3 audio

M0XDF
Now, you name any other manufacture which would offer that - and
direct from one of the owners of the company. Is that service, or is
that SERVICE?
73 de M0XDF, K3 #174
--
If you're sending someone some Styrofoam, what do you pack it in?

On 6 Apr 2009, at 18:26, wayne burdick wrote:

> Maarten,
>
> If you send me recordings of your K3 audio (and if possible,
> recordings
> of your other rig's audio for comparison), Lyle and I will listen to
> them and see if we think there's anything wrong (excessive hiss,
> harshness, etc.). This is certainly not the case with my K3 or any of
> those I've tested in my lab.
>
> If it turns out that nothing is broken, but that you perceive another
> rig to be better in some way, then we will try to improve the K3 to
> your satisfaction. Comparative recordings are the first step.
>
> 73,
> Wayne
> N6KR

Re: My K3's hissy and noisy audio

VR2BrettGraham
This discussion reminds me of how fatiguing I found the TS-950S to
use.  I could not do a contest without getting a splitting headache.

The K2 helped me figure out why, one day after yet again mucking
about with BFO settings & dealing with lumpy/bumpy filter passband
& impossible quest to reasonably balance sound with high & low-side
BFO injection, I inadvertently put an audio spectrum analyzer on the
950's output.

Now this is from sample of quantity one, but that 950 had energy in
its audio output well above bandwidth of interest.  The K2 did not, nor
did an IC-765 I was also using at the time.  Only the 950 was literally
painful to use after as short a time as a few hours.

The K3 apparently has the same sort of energy on its audio output,
but because it is so many dB down, when the news broke it was
dismissed as a non-issue.

Some folks have better hearing than others.  Reproduction of the
sound can also vary due to differences in speakers & headphones.
All the variables could add together enough to reach the point where
the effect is noticeable; they just as easily combine to something
less.

I hope Elecraft looks at issues like this more objectively than its
user community appears to sometimes.  And cheers to those who
will say what some don't want to hear, is the only way things can
get sorted out.

73, ex-VR2BG/p.

Re: K3 audio

PD2R
Yes, that is great service!

I was not aware the my question on the reflector would stir thing up the way
it dit. I´m not verry technical and I thought I had some setting messed up
with my K3 which resulted in the bad audio. Given all the great response on
the reflector I´m kind of lost in all the things that could be causing the
less then diserable audio.

In hindsite I feel that maybe it was better to contact Elecraft personaly.
But again, I was not aware that I would lead to this much response.

I am greatfull that Wayne is willing to help me out with this. It might take
a wile before I can get the audio recordings because I´m not quiet sure how
to make those recordings. Making the recordings shouldn´t be that hard,
getting the Icom next to my K3 is a different problem. We use our own
radio´s at our contest station and last time I brought my K3 and another
operator brought his IC-7700. I can make a comparison with a FT 1000D from a
friend who lives nearby.

Thank you Wayne for your offer to sort this out, I´ll try to make the
recordings a.s.a.p.

Best 73

Maarten, PD2R
Member of the PI4DX contest group
www.pi4dx.com

Elecraft K3 nr:1849

Re: K3 audio

PD2R
Oeps, forgot to take out the typo´s, pressed the send button to soon. Sorry
about that.

2009/4/7 Maarten van Rossum <[hidden email]>

> Yes, that is great service!
>
> I was not aware the my question on the reflector would stir thing up the
> way it dit. I´m not verry technical and I thought I had some setting messed
> up with my K3 which resulted in the bad audio. Given all the great response
> on the reflector I´m kind of lost in all the things that could be causing
> the less then diserable audio.
>
> In hindsite I feel that maybe it was better to contact Elecraft personaly.
> But again, I was not aware that I would lead to this much response.
>
> I am greatfull that Wayne is willing to help me out with this. It might
> take a wile before I can get the audio recordings because I´m not quiet sure
> how to make those recordings. Making the recordings shouldn´t be that hard,
> getting the Icom next to my K3 is a different problem. We use our own
> radio´s at our contest station and last time I brought my K3 and another
> operator brought his IC-7700. I can make a comparison with a FT 1000D from a
> friend who lives nearby.
>
> Thank you Wayne for your offer to sort this out, I´ll try to make the
> recordings a.s.a.p.
>
> Best 73

Maarten, PD2R
Member of the PI4DX contest group
www.pi4dx.com

Elecraft K3 nr:1849

Re: My K3's hissy and noisy audio

akiwi ham
Using Heil ProSet here and very satisfied with the K3's audio for
communications use.

Bryan, Zl1NI

> On the other hand, plug a Heil ProSet with its 200 Ohm elements
> into an unmodified K3 and the -3dB point is 80 Hz ... low enough
> for communications use without being overly sensitive to hum and
> other low frequency noise,   Similarly, with 8 Ohm speakers, the
> -3 dB point is 40 Hz with the 470 uF coupling capacitors in the
> speaker amp.
>
> 73,
>
>    ... Joe, W4TV

Re: My K3's hissy and noisy audio

Bill W4ZV
VR2BG wrote:

 >The K3 apparently has the same sort of energy on its audio output,
but because it is so many dB down, when the news broke it was
dismissed as a non-issue.

 >Some folks have better hearing than others.  Reproduction of the
sound can also vary due to differences in speakers & headphones.
All the variables could add together enough to reach the point where
the effect is noticeable; they just as easily combine to something
less.

 >I hope Elecraft looks at issues like this more objectively than its
user community appears to sometimes.  And cheers to those who
will say what some don't want to hear, is the only way things can
get sorted out.

         I'm sure Wayne will find this problem.  The fact that many
variables may be involved seems to be causing some to experience it and
others not (luckily I'm one of the latter).  The key is to get some good
recordings and forward them to Elecraft with detailed setup descriptions
including external devices (headphones, speakers, etc).  Once the
problem can be quantified, I'm sure the solution will come very quickly.

                                         73,  Bill  W4ZV

Re: My K3's hissy and noisy audio

P.B. Christensen
> On the other hand, plug a Heil ProSet with its 200 Ohm elements
> into an unmodified K3 and the -3dB point is 80 Hz ... low enough
> for communications use without being overly sensitive to hum and
> other low frequency noise...

That would be a good choice for the stock K3.   One thing to note is that
most coil-based headphones and speaker elements do not have a flat impedance
curve as a function of frequency.  Some can vary considerably from their
rated impedance rating.  The Z at 50 Hz can be vastly different than at 5
kHz.

Also, moving the C9 & C13 headphone coupling capacitors up in value will
allow for grabbing most any headphones.without worry as to how response will
be affected.  I used an old set of Koss Pro4/AA for testing but use
Sennheiser PCX300 or Bose Triports headphones when operating my K3.

Paul, W9AC

Re: My K3's hissy and noisy audio

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

> The K3 apparently has the same sort of energy on its audio
> output, but because it is so many dB down, when the news
> broke it was dismissed as a non-issue.

There are several issues here that cloud the discussion.
The K3 uses different audio amplifiers for the speakers and
headphones.  One person may be talking about headphone audio
while another talking about the speaker audio.

Even when discussing only headphone audio there are very
significant differences depending on the impedance of the
headphone elements due to the high pass characteristics
of the 10 uF coupling capacitors - as documented by W9AC -
as well as differences in the noise and distortion in the
the headphone amplifier depending on load impedance.  In
addition, the response and efficiency of the headphones
as well as the hearing of the individual all play a role.

Once speakers are added to the discussion it brings a
whole new group of concerns ... including a different
amplifier and a wide variety of speakers and enclosures.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV