My k2 will not stay on

W7TMD
Well, I had a thunder storm go through last night and now my k2 will not stay on. It turns on for a few secs than  the self resetting fuse turns everything off.
   I did not build the k2 so I'm afraid I dont know where to start to trouble shoot.
thanks fer any help
73
Tom-W7TMD

Re: My k2 will not stay on

W7TMD
Also I checked the astron and voltage looks good. and I checked F1 and it gets super hot then switches everything off.So at least that's working working.
     While looking at the DSP Module C2 had come completely off and was laying on the main PC board!! Looks like it just fell off.. How weird

Re: My k2 will not stay on

Don Wilhelm-4
Tom,

If the KDSP2 module is plugged in all the way, it usually takes quite a
bit of force to remove it.

Back to your power on problem - the usual cause of that problem is a
short between the PA transistors and the heat sink.  Measure the
resistance between the collector(s) of Q7 and Q8 and ground.  If it is
close to zero, remove the heat sink and check for any particles of
aluminum embeded in the thermal pads.

Then put the heat sink back on and check the voltage at the base of Q7
or Q8 when you power on.  If you see the voltage spike up (before the
fuse trips), then you may have a collector to bese leakage in one of the
PA Transistors - either remove Q7 and Q8, or remove T3 to take the 12
volt source off Q7.Q8 and see if that allows power to come on normally.
If so, replace Q7 and Q8 as well as Q11 and Q13 (the K2PAKT contains all
those replacements.

W7TMD wrote:
> Also I checked the astron and voltage looks good. and I checked F1 and it
> gets super hot then switches everything off.So at least that's working
> working.
>      While looking at the DSP Module C2 had come completely off and was
> laying on the main PC board!! Looks like it just fell off.. How weird

Re: My k2 will not stay on

W7TMD
ok, Thanks Don! I will try it tomorrow.
  I didnt mean the hole DSP module came off just the surface mount cap C2 on the DSPx module.
thanks again!
73
Tom-W7TMD

Re: My k2 will not stay on

Don Wilhelm-4
Tom,

No parts should come off the KDSP2 module, so yours is defective.  If
you cannot solder C2 back on yourself, I am certain Elecraft will supply
you with a replacement module - contact [hidden email] or for a
simpler and more direct route email [hidden email] and explain that
C2 fell off the KDSP2 module.