Need Confirmation that my RX is operating correctly

Need Confirmation that my RX is operating correctly

AB5N
Hi guys-

Well, this is just a call to other KX-1 operators to ask this question:

When you cycle through the bands, are the noise floor (hiss) levels un-equal?

My general sensitivity and hiss levels go as follow from most noise to least:

40 meters
20 meters
30 meters
80 meters

30 and 80 are obviously lower sensitivity than 20 and 40 in my RX. They are usable, but lower.

This is say with a 25 foot wire attached... not a resonant antenna.

What say?

Bob-AB5N

Re: Need Confirmation that my RX is operating correctly

Don Wilhelm-4
  Bob,

Listening with an antenna connected is not going to give you a clear
picture of the receiver sensitivity.  It is hearing the ambient "band
noise" which will vary from band to band, location to location, and with
the time of day.

To determine sensitivity, you must disconnect the antenna - then turn up
the gain, and you will hear the receiver "noise floor" - you still do
not have an indication of receiver sensitivity, for that you must have a
calibrated signal source for each band - something such as the Elecraft XG3.