Need additional troubleshooting steps for inoperable KXAT1

Need additional troubleshooting steps for inoperable KXAT1

Scott Wright
I'm having trouble with my KXAT1.  More specifically, (1) I can't get
the power reading to adjust up to anywhere near the actual TX power and
(2) the SWR reading with the DL1 dummy load attached is 9.9, which I
assume is not a good thing.

Here are the data bits:

1)  There's no 30/80m module.

2)  I ohm'ed out the DL1 and it reads 50.1 ohms.  Close enough.

3)  With the R1 pot set at ~50%, the KX1's power display is 0.7 watts in
'tun' mode.  The power reading at the DL1 is 3.6 watts, which is pretty
much the same reading I got after I finished the KX1's transmit section
(before adding the AT).  Cranked fully CW (?), the maximum displayed
power reading is 2.1 watts on the KX1.

4)  During calibration, nulling the voltage on the REFL test point
results in a voltage of approx 1.75 volts.  I've seen posts on the
reflector where folks are getting nulls well below 1V.  I suppose this
isn't a good thing, either...

5)  I ohm'ed inductors L1, L2, and L3 after installation and all three
read <0.3 ohms.  I'll assume that means good stripping/tinning/soldering.

6)  I tried ohm'ing transformer T1 after it was installed to see if I
had any shorts but I'm reading <0.3 ohms across any combination of
leads.  This (sorta') makes sense -- given how it's gonna' react to DC
-- but doesn't tell me anything.

7)  I quadruple checked my installation of T1.  The picture and notes in
the assembly manual are a bit confusing and unlike all other Ls and Ts
I've installed so far, the footprint/silkscreen for T1 doesn't line up
with how the winding is described.  What looks like a clean, drop-in
install results in -- as I read it -- incorrect phasing.  Matching T1's
wiring diagram / picture to its silkscreen forces the leads to run under
the toroid in a "contorted" fashion.  As ugly as it was going in, that's
how I have it soldered in place.

8)  When instructed to tune, the resultant SWR is always displayed as
9.9.  (I can hear the relays clicking on-and-off in rapid succession
during the tune...)  I tried the inductor/capacitor test outlined in the
KXAT1's troubleshooting guide, but regardless of the L0/1/2/3 or
C0/1/2/3 setting, the SWR always displays as 9.9

So, I'm at an impasse.  I don't wanna' start randomly removing
components -- I haven't yet had to remove a single component from the
KX1 or the AT -- but I'm at a loss as to what to do next.

Are there any other troubleshooting steps??  I'll never claim to be a
guru on this stuff -- in fact, I'm not 100% certain how an AT even works
-- so any additional guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx!!

Scott
AC0FQ
KX1 s/n 2177

Re: Need additional troubleshooting steps for inoperable KXAT1

Don Wilhelm-4
Scott,

The problem lies with #4 and #7 below.
Look carefully at the diagram of T1 on page 5 of the KXAT1
instructions.  If yours looks 'backwards', then it may be wound in the
wrong sense.  When viewed as in the diagram, the leads coming off the
core closest to you are numbered 2 and 4, and the turns from that end
progress clockwise around the core.
If you have the sense 'backwards', the leads will cross over under the
core when it is mounted - that is not what should happen.  If you have
it right, the leads will drop straight down from the core onto the board
when it is mounted.

Yes, all the T1 leads will appear to be shorted together after T1 is
installed - that is not a valid check.

If everything is correct, you will find a deep null when adjusting the
capacitor.  The voltage at the null point should be in the tens of
millivolt range.  If you do not find the null, then look for something
wrong with T1, C9, C10, R4 or R5.  Also check the orientation of D1 and D2.

Do not attempt power or SWR calibration until after you can achieve a
good null - all attempts to do so will lead to frustration and incorrect
results.

Scott Wright wrote:

> I'm having trouble with my KXAT1.  More specifically, (1) I can't get
> the power reading to adjust up to anywhere near the actual TX power and
> (2) the SWR reading with the DL1 dummy load attached is 9.9, which I
> assume is not a good thing.
>
> Here are the data bits:
>
> 1)  There's no 30/80m module.
>
> 2)  I ohm'ed out the DL1 and it reads 50.1 ohms.  Close enough.
>
> 3)  With the R1 pot set at ~50%, the KX1's power display is 0.7 watts in
> 'tun' mode.  The power reading at the DL1 is 3.6 watts, which is pretty
> much the same reading I got after I finished the KX1's transmit section
> (before adding the AT).  Cranked fully CW (?), the maximum displayed
> power reading is 2.1 watts on the KX1.
>
> 4)  During calibration, nulling the voltage on the REFL test point
> results in a voltage of approx 1.75 volts.  I've seen posts on the
> reflector where folks are getting nulls well below 1V.  I suppose this
> isn't a good thing, either...
>
> 5)  I ohm'ed inductors L1, L2, and L3 after installation and all three
> read <0.3 ohms.  I'll assume that means good stripping/tinning/soldering.
>
> 6)  I tried ohm'ing transformer T1 after it was installed to see if I
> had any shorts but I'm reading <0.3 ohms across any combination of
> leads.  This (sorta') makes sense -- given how it's gonna' react to DC
> -- but doesn't tell me anything.
>
> 7)  I quadruple checked my installation of T1.  The picture and notes in
> the assembly manual are a bit confusing and unlike all other Ls and Ts
> I've installed so far, the footprint/silkscreen for T1 doesn't line up
> with how the winding is described.  What looks like a clean, drop-in
> install results in -- as I read it -- incorrect phasing.  Matching T1's
> wiring diagram / picture to its silkscreen forces the leads to run under
> the toroid in a "contorted" fashion.  As ugly as it was going in, that's
> how I have it soldered in place.
>
> 8)  When instructed to tune, the resultant SWR is always displayed as
> 9.9.  (I can hear the relays clicking on-and-off in rapid succession
> during the tune...)  I tried the inductor/capacitor test outlined in the
> KXAT1's troubleshooting guide, but regardless of the L0/1/2/3 or
> C0/1/2/3 setting, the SWR always displays as 9.9
>
> So, I'm at an impasse.  I don't wanna' start randomly removing
> components -- I haven't yet had to remove a single component from the
> KX1 or the AT -- but I'm at a loss as to what to do next.
>
> Are there any other troubleshooting steps??  I'll never claim to be a
> guru on this stuff -- in fact, I'm not 100% certain how an AT even works
> -- so any additional guidance would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanx!!
>
> Scott
> AC0FQ
> KX1 s/n 2177

Re: Need additional troubleshooting steps for inoperable KXAT1

Scott Wright
Don,

Thanx for your reply!

"When viewed as in the diagram, the leads coming off the core closest to
you are numbered 2 and 4..."

That's gotta' be the problem then.  In my documentation, those two wires
are labeled as 1&3.  Had they been labeled as 2&4, I would have had the
"clean, drop-in install" I referred to in my original e-mail.  Couple
that with the informational statement, "...the wires labeled (1) and (3)
should originate from below the core...", it was easy to convince myself
that such a bizarre lead routing alignment was necessary.

Oof dah...

OK, I'm off to unsolder T1 and try to get it installed correctly.  I'll
let you know what results.

Again, thanx for the pointers!

Scott
AC0FQ

Don Wilhelm wrote:

> [...]
>> during the tune...)  I tried the inductor/capacitor test outlined in the
>> KXAT1's troubleshooting guide, but regardless of the L0/1/2/3 or
>> C0/1/2/3 setting, the SWR always displays as 9.9
>>
>> So, I'm at an impasse.  I don't wanna' start randomly removing
>> components -- I haven't yet had to remove a single component from the
>> KX1 or the AT -- but I'm at a loss as to what to do next.
>>
>> Are there any other troubleshooting steps??  I'll never claim to be a
>> guru on this stuff -- in fact, I'm not 100% certain how an AT even works
>> -- so any additional guidance would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Thanx!!
>>
>> Scott
>> AC0FQ
>> KX1 s/n 2177
>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

>> 270.11.13/2001 - Release Date: 03/14/09 06:54:00

Re: Need additional troubleshooting steps for inoperable KXAT1

OK, I got the KXAT1 working! Turns out the documentation was right --
the wires *are* numbered correctly. My bad. (Shame on me -- no more late
night soldering for Scott...) I got a rock solid 0.000V calibration null
and the power readings are within 0.1 watt of what I'm getting from the
DL1. Now it looks like all I need to do is build an antenna and wire the
stereo plug to my J-38 key. Then it's play time!

So, thanx again, Don!

Scott
AC0FQ

Scott Wright wrote:

> [...]
>>> during the tune...)  I tried the inductor/capacitor test outlined in the
>>> KXAT1's troubleshooting guide, but regardless of the L0/1/2/3 or
>>> C0/1/2/3 setting, the SWR always displays as 9.9
>>>
>>> So, I'm at an impasse.  I don't wanna' start randomly removing
>>> components -- I haven't yet had to remove a single component from the
>>> KX1 or the AT -- but I'm at a loss as to what to do next.
>>>
>>> Are there any other troubleshooting steps??  I'll never claim to be a
>>> guru on this stuff -- in fact, I'm not 100% certain how an AT even works
>>> -- so any additional guidance would be greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanx!!
>>>
>>> Scott
>>> AC0FQ
>>> KX1 s/n 2177
>>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

>>> 270.11.13/2001 - Release Date: 03/14/09 06:54:00

Re: Need additional troubleshooting steps for inoperable KXAT1

Congratulations Scott - now have a good time with that KX1.