Need pricing help for used K2 system

Garry Shapiro
Last summer W6EB and I took on selling off the station of Doug Westover,
W6JD (SK). Doug was an early fan of Elecraft. We sold most of Doug's
stuff, including his antennas and his early K3 in 2011. With most of the
substantial "big" items gone, we "suspended" our efforts with his K2
system still unsold. We would like to find it a home now.

Here is what is included:

  * K2 S/N 1626
  * KSB2
  * KNB2
  * KBT2
  * KAT2
  * KAF2
  * KPA100
  * KAT100-2
  * EC2
  * ETS2
  * KIO2
  * KDSP2

The rig is, of course, in two boxes. We did fire it up on all bands last
summer, and all seemed FB. Physical condition is good; I have it here in
my shack, but not online. WE have most of the original invoices, but
that was then and this is now.

We would like to establish a reasonable estimate of current market
value, sell it for the widow, and move on. We are not seeking to squeeze
every last dollar--just get a fair price.

Some help, please?

Garry, NI6T

Re: Need pricing help for used K2 system

Kevin Cozens-2
On 12-05-31 11:09 PM, Garry Shapiro wrote:
> The rig is, of course, in two boxes. We did fire it up on all bands last
> summer, and all seemed FB. Physical condition is good; I have it here in
> my shack, but not online. WE have most of the original invoices, but
> that was then and this is now.
>
> We would like to establish a reasonable estimate of current market
> value, sell it for the widow, and move on. We are not seeking to squeeze
> every last dollar--just get a fair price.

You could check the mailing list archives to see the prices asked for of
other K2's (and accessories) that have been sold.

The K2 is a popular radio so I've always been surprised by the apparently
low resale value it seems to have. I have seen a lot of people offering
their K2's for sale at a price as low as 2/3 of a new one from Elecraft.
That doesn't take in to account the time it takes to build from a kit of
parts. Personally I think a price around 75% of new would be better as a low
end price for a used K2.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.ve3syb.ca/           |"Nerds make the shiny things that distract
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172      | the mouth-breathers, and that's why we're
                                 | powerful!"
#include <disclaimer/favourite> |             --Chris Hardwick

Re: Need pricing help for used K2 system

ke9uw
Actually, I have been wary of how a K2 might have been built. But the ones I have seen for sale with pictures are really well done as far as what I can see. Perhaps the concern on the variation of how the rig was constructed has something to do with the resale. And for many the value is in building the kit. Once it is finished...nothing to do but look for another kit.

Chuck, KE9UW
aka Jack, BMW Motorcycles BMWMOA #224