New K1 Owner -- Which ATU?

AF6NI
I just purchased a used (#2917) K1 at the TRW Ham swap meet last weekend. It's a 2 bander - 40 & 20 and works well now that I aligned it.
I am thinking of either the internal K1 auto tuner or perhaps the external one. I would like to hear the plusses and minuses of the internal board vs. the external unit. I am leaning toward the external unit presently since I could use that with other QRP rigs.

Thanks in advance.
Joe
AF6NI

Re: New K1 Owner -- Which ATU?

Mike WA8BXN
An external one may have a wider tuning range. If you plan to use the radio
for portable operation the internal tuner is very nice to have, cuts down on
what you have to carry, hook up and provide power to.

73 - Mike WA8BXN

Re: New K1 Owner -- Which ATU?

Rick Dettinger-3
The external tuner also makes it much easier to change filter boards,
if that is in your plans.  You need to remove the internal tuner to
change boards if you want more than 4 bands. And, yes, you can use the
external tuner with other rigs.  But without the tune up memory that
you get with Elecraft kits.  I have often thought that I would like an
external enclosure with the T1 tuner and a battery pack.  Then I would
attach my portable paddles to the enclosure and benefit from the weight.

73,
Rick Dettinger  K7MW