New K1 Owner -- Which ATU?

Curt
I built a K1 awhile ago, and added the internal tuner.  A nice compact rig for parkbench portable, carry it in a computer bag with a wire antenna, paddle, and gel cell battery.  Mine is a 4-band unit set up for 40,30,20,15.  It's worked very well for me.

Re: New K1 Owner -- Which ATU?

Michael Babineau-2
Joe :

I have both a 4-band K1 with the internal KAT1 and also an Elecraft T1 external tuner (which I use with some
of my other portable rigs).

I can honestly say that the KAT1 and the T1 have very similar matching abilities (I think that Wayne once said that the
T1 was a little more capable).  I have yet to find an antenna that the KAT1 won't match that the T1 will,  at least on
40m/30m/20m/17m which are the 4 bands in my K1.

It is hard to beat the convenience of having the tuner in the rig. No extra cables or power needed. It really simplifies
things.  I do recommend getting a BNC to banana jack adaptor like the ones made by Pomona as this is an easy way of
connecting lightweight wires and twin-lead to the BNC on the rig.

If you do decide that you want to go with an external tuner to use with other rigs for portable then I also highly
recommend the T1 .. excellent performance in a small package with its own internal 9V battery.

If your K1 is going to be your primary portable rig then I suggest going with the KAT1.

Cheers,

Michael VE3WMB / VA2NB  (a happy K1, KX1 and K2 owner ;-) )

>From: af6ni <[hidden email]>
>Date: April 4, 2011 8:08:23 PM EDT
>To: [hidden email]
>Subject: [Elecraft] New K1 Owner -- Which ATU?

>I just purchased a used (#2917) K1 at the TRW Ham swap meet last weekend.
>It's a 2 bander - 40 & 20 and works well now that I aligned it.
>I am thinking of either the internal K1 auto tuner or perhaps the external
>one. I would like to hear the plusses and minuses of the internal board vs.
>the external unit. I am leaning toward the external unit presently since I
>could use that with other QRP rigs.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>Joe
>AF6NI

Re: New K1 Owner -- Which ATU?

Eric Champine
Hey Joe.
At first I purchased the T1 to use with my 817 and then I built the K1
thinking I was going to use the T1 on the K1. It worked awesome but I got
the bug to build and added the KAT1. It is awesome to be able to cary around
less cords and less parts and just get down to it. Now I really love the K1
with the KAT1 in it. I wouldn't be without it now. I would say it is your
choice. I have used both and love both. I see no difference in the two at
all as far as tuning goes. In my opinion it is just what you feel. The T1
can be used on any QRP rig and the KAT1 is just for the K1 but if that is
what you are planning on using, get it. Or, you can be like me and get both
over a period of time once you get the cash :-)
I know. Overkill but it is so fun :-)
Best of luck.

73 de W2EEC

Eric