New XG3 f/w includes CW beacon mode

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Administrator
We've released a f/w upgrade for the XG3 signal source. It will be found
by the XG3 utility if you are connected to the internet and click on the
utility's "Copy New Files from Elecraft' button.

Starting with version 1.07, the XG3 contains a Morse code sender with
memory function. This memory can be programmed to repeat the CW message,
step through different power levels and transmit a carrier for a
specific amount of time. (Excellent for T-Hunts!) Yesterday I set it up
with an 18" whip antenna in the window of my ground level office to
beacon on 144.120 MHz. It sent a CW ID followed by 2 second carriers at
0 dBm, -33 dBm and -73 dBm, and then repeated. We were able to hear the
CW up to several blocks away with the XG3 set to 0 dBm output.

The XG3's PF1 sweep button can be programmed by the user to be used as
the CW memory for the XG3. The Morse code sender can be adjusted for WPM
(words per minute), and the memory can hold up to 50 characters.
Meta-characters permit pauses, carrier on/off, repeat and output level
changes. The XG3 will save the prior output state and restore it after
sending the sequence. A convenient way to enter serial commands is to
use the XG3 Utility’s Command Tester (far right tab).

(After upgrading you version 1.07, you may need to re-enter any
programmed sweeps.)

Below is a summary of this feature. For full details, see the release
notes for the XG3 1.07 release, which can viewed via the help menu in
XG3 Utility (after downloading the new firmware from our server), or
directly from our XG3 web page at: http://www.elecraft.com/XG3/xg3.htm

Supported Morse Characters
Letters: A-Z
Numbers: 0-9
Punctuation: . / ? @
Special:
* = SK
+ = AR
- = BK
_ = word space

Morse Memory Meta-characters
^n - set level to n
(0 = 0 dBm, 1 = -33, 2 = -73, 3 = -107)
:nn - turn carrier on for nn seconds (00 to 99)
$nn - pauses for nn seconds (00 to 99)
|nn - recall band/memory nn (0 to 11)
# - repeat entire sequence

Have fun!

73, Eric WA6HHQ
www.elecraft.com

Re: New XG3 f/w includes CW beacon mode

Julian, G4ILO
How slow will it go? Can it do QRSS?

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft wrote
We've released a f/w upgrade for the XG3 signal source. It will be found
by the XG3 utility if you are connected to the internet and click on the
utility's "Copy New Files from Elecraft' button.

Starting with version 1.07, the XG3 contains a Morse code sender with
memory function. This memory can be programmed to repeat the CW message,
step through different power levels and transmit a carrier for a
specific amount of time. (Excellent for T-Hunts!) Yesterday I set it up
with an 18" whip antenna in the window of my ground level office to
beacon on 144.120 MHz. It sent a CW ID followed by 2 second carriers at
0 dBm, -33 dBm and -73 dBm, and then repeated. We were able to hear the
CW up to several blocks away with the XG3 set to 0 dBm output.

The XG3's PF1 sweep button can be programmed by the user to be used as
the CW memory for the XG3. The Morse code sender can be adjusted for WPM
(words per minute), and the memory can hold up to 50 characters.
Meta-characters permit pauses, carrier on/off, repeat and output level
changes. The XG3 will save the prior output state and restore it after
sending the sequence. A convenient way to enter serial commands is to
use the XG3 Utility’s Command Tester (far right tab).

(After upgrading you version 1.07, you may need to re-enter any
programmed sweeps.)

Below is a summary of this feature. For full details, see the release
notes for the XG3 1.07 release, which can viewed via the help menu in
XG3 Utility (after downloading the new firmware from our server), or
directly from our XG3 web page at: http://www.elecraft.com/XG3/xg3.htm

Supported Morse Characters
Letters: A-Z
Numbers: 0-9
Punctuation: . / ? @
Special:
* = SK
+ = AR
- = BK
_ = word space

Morse Memory Meta-characters
^n - set level to n
(0 = 0 dBm, 1 = -33, 2 = -73, 3 = -107)
:nn - turn carrier on for nn seconds (00 to 99)
$nn - pauses for nn seconds (00 to 99)
|nn - recall band/memory nn (0 to 11)
# - repeat entire sequence

Have fun!

73, Eric WA6HHQ
www.elecraft.com

Julian, G4ILO. K2 #392  K3 #222 KX3 #110
* G4ILO's Shack - http://www.g4ilo.com
* KComm - http://www.g4ilo.com/kcomm.html
* KTune - http://www.g4ilo.com/ktune.html

Re: New XG3 f/w includes CW beacon mode

Bill W4ZV
Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft wrote
Starting with version 1.07, the XG3 contains a Morse code sender with
memory function. This memory can be programmed to repeat the CW message,
step through different power levels and transmit a carrier for a
specific amount of time.
In 2004 N2XE held some QRP receiving tests on 40, 80 and 160 with calibrated beacons <100 uW.

http://www.n2xe.com/Beacon.html

With the XG3 and an attenuator it would be very easy to duplicate these tests.  Just remember that **unattended** beacons below 28 MHz are illegal in the USA (I believe NCDXF beacons have special permission from the FCC).

73,  Bill  W4ZV

§97.203 Beacon station. -

(a) Any amateur station licensed to a holder of a Technician, Technician Plus, General, Advanced or Amateur Extra Class operator license may be a beacon. A holder of a Technician, Technician Plus, General, Advanced or Amateur Extra Class operator license may be the control operator of a beacon, subject to the privileges of the class of operator license held.

(b) A beacon must not concurrently transmit on more than 1 channel in the same amateur service frequency band, from the same station location.

(c) The transmitter power of a beacon must not exceed 100 W.

(d) A beacon may be automatically controlled while it is transmitting on the 28.20-28.30 MHz, 50.06-50.08 MHz, 144.275-144.300 MHz, 222.05-222.06 MHz, or 432.300-432.400 MHz segments, or on the 33 cm and shorter wavelength bands.

(e) Before establishing an automatically controlled beacon in the National Radio Quiet Zone or before changing the transmitting frequency, transmitter power, antenna height or directivity, the station licensee must give written notification thereof to the Interference Office, National Radio Astronomy Observatory, P.O. Box 2, Green Bank, WV 24944.

Re: New XG3 f/w includes CW beacon mode

Bruce Beford-2
> With the XG3 and an attenuator it would be very easy to duplicate these
> tests.  Just remember that **unattended** beacons below 28 MHz are illegal
> in the USA (I believe NCDXF beacons have special permission from the FCC).

> 73,  Bill  W4ZV

Excellent reminder Bill. And... as has already been stated, the output of
the XG3 is a square wave, rich in harmonics. It would NOT meet FCC spec as a
beacon transmitter in the USA, without sufficient low pass filtration added
by the user. I know, I know... Gee, it's only x microwatts. Still, you are
required to meet the specs for spurious emissions on any intentional
radiator.

Bruce, N1RX

Re: New XG3 f/w includes CW beacon mode

Paul Saffren N6HZ
Julian,

The Morse sender has wpm range of between 1 and 60 wpm.  I don't think that will work for QRSS.

73,

paul

Re: New XG3 f/w includes CW beacon mode

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
At 1 mW or less on its operating frequency, this is unlikely to cause
any problems. The 2nd harmonic and higher order even harmonics are over
30 dB down from that, and the odd harmonics are 7-10 dB down. It
certainly shouldn't cause any issues at VHF.

That said, you can always add a simple in-line LPF to roll off the
harmonics the additional amount desired.

73, Eric

On 4/27/2011 3:45 PM, Bruce Beford wrote:

>> With the XG3 and an attenuator it would be very easy to duplicate these
>> tests.  Just remember that **unattended** beacons below 28 MHz are illegal
>> in the USA (I believe NCDXF beacons have special permission from the FCC).
>
>> 73,  Bill  W4ZV
>
> Excellent reminder Bill. And... as has already been stated, the output of
> the XG3 is a square wave, rich in harmonics. It would NOT meet FCC spec as a
> beacon transmitter in the USA, without sufficient low pass filtration added
> by the user. I know, I know... Gee, it's only x microwatts. Still, you are
> required to meet the specs for spurious emissions on any intentional
> radiator.
>
> Bruce, N1RX

Re: New XG3 f/w includes CW beacon mode

Bruce Beford-2
> At 1 mW or less on its operating frequency, this is unlikely to cause
> any problems. The 2nd harmonic and higher order even harmonics are over
> 30 dB down from that, and the odd harmonics are 7-10 dB down. It
> certainly shouldn't cause any issues at VHF.

> That said, you can always add a simple in-line LPF to roll off the
> harmonics the additional amount desired.

> 73, Eric

You may be right, Eric.

FCC Part 97.307(e) states:
"The mean power of any spurious emission from a station transmitter or
external RF power amplifier transmitting on a frequency between 30-225 MHz
must be at least 60 dB below the mean power of the fundamental. For a
transmitter having a mean power of 25 W or less, the mean power of any
spurious emission supplied to the antenna transmission line must not exceed
25 uW and must be at least 40 dB below the mean power of the fundamental
emission, but need not be reduced below the power of 10 uW. A transmitter
built before April 15, 1977, or first marketed before January 1, 1978, is
exempt from this requirement. "

If one is operating with the Fundamental at 1mW, then the spurii only need
to be down a bit over 20 dB to be below 10uW. This would imply from Eric's
figures above, that one might need an additional 10-13 dB of attenuation at
the 3rd harmonic to be compliant.

Bruce, N1RX

Re: New XG3 f/w includes CW beacon mode

Edward R Cole
I am building some LP filters using 7-pole CoilCraft filters that I
am installing in custom-made copper enclosures with
BNC-male/BNC-female connectors.  After I make and test a couple, I
might consider making some for sale if there is interest.  No idea on
price, yet.

I bought an aluminum enclosure that will be used with the XG3 and
uses a BNC-FF fedthru adaptor to shield the XG3 for use with
attenuators for making receiver tests below -140 dBm.  It will run on
battery to eliminate any sneak paths for RF leakage.

For QRSS modes one could use a transistor switch to key the
output.  That is how I keyed the output of a DDS synthesizer on
500-KHz for driving my 100w 600m xmtr.  Of course the K3 does all
modes on 500-KHz at 0 dBm and that is what I currently use as driver.

73, Ed - KL7UW

------------------------------

Message: 33
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 15:57:20 -0700
From: "Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft" <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] New XG3 f/w includes CW beacon mode
To: Bruce Beford <[hidden email]>
Cc: [hidden email]

At 1 mW or less on its operating frequency, this is unlikely to cause
any problems. The 2nd harmonic and higher order even harmonics are over
30 dB down from that, and the odd harmonics are 7-10 dB down. It
certainly shouldn't cause any issues at VHF.

That said, you can always add a simple in-line LPF to roll off the
harmonics the additional amount desired.

73, Eric

73, Ed - KL7UW, WD2XSH/45

Re: New XG3 f/w includes CW beacon mode

Julian, G4ILO
Edward R. Cole wrote
For QRSS modes one could use a transistor switch to key the
output.  That is how I keyed the output of a DDS synthesizer on
500-KHz for driving my 100w 600m xmtr.  Of course the K3 does all
modes on 500-KHz at 0 dBm and that is what I currently use as driver.
You'd need a PIC thingy to do the keying too, though. QRSS isn't only done using on/off keying, it can be done using 5Hz shift FSK.
Julian, G4ILO. K2 #392  K3 #222 KX3 #110
* G4ILO's Shack - http://www.g4ilo.com
* KComm - http://www.g4ilo.com/kcomm.html
* KTune - http://www.g4ilo.com/ktune.html

Re: New XG3 f/w includes CW beacon mode

Bill K9YEQ
I was so tempted to come back with a smart response... but will resist.

73,
Bill
K9YEQ