New convert

Wingkeel
I am a new HAM operator witha Tech+ ticket, (hopefully General after this
weekend).
I am presently building my K2 but it is going slowly due to lack of time.
Last night, being pretty brain dead after four hours of studying for a
commercial radio operators test, I decided to give 40-meters a try with my ICOM-718 on
a mono-pole.  Just for kicks, I turned it down to 10-watts.  I couldn't get
through to a couple CQ's but found one signal booming in from Toronto.  I
pounced on it and low and behold, he comes back to me...my second CW contact.  It
didn't last more than about 20-minutes but it was most gratifying.  Needless to
say, I was up at 0200 working on my K2.

I work on a ship that goes to Japan, China, Taiwan and Korea.  I am presently
getting my tickets to run from these countries while I'm dockside.  I hope to
see a lot of you on 20-40 meters in the future.

Buying an Elecraft transceiver is like having an extended family.  Even
though I haven't met most of you, I feel i'm getting to know you through your
emails  The building feedback from other members is fabulous.  My K2 should be
upand running before I go back out to sea in mid July.

See ya'll on the air...

                                      Terry Southern
                                         KC0QZX
                                      Lafayette, CO
You must subscribe to post.
Subscriber Info (Addr. Change, Unsub etc): http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
Elecraft page: http://www.elecraft.com

Re: New convert

Vic K2VCO
[hidden email] wrote:

> I work on a ship that goes to Japan, China, Taiwan and Korea.  I am presently
> getting my tickets to run from these countries while I'm dockside.  I hope to
> see a lot of you on 20-40 meters in the future.

Hi Terry,

Maybe you can get permission to operate from the ship at sea when you
are off-shift.  As you may know, a saltwater QTH is worth many, many DB.
  A low power signal and simple antenna can work woldwide DX.

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco

You must subscribe to post.
Subscriber Info (Addr. Change, Unsub etc): http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
Elecraft page: http://www.elecraft.com

Re: New convert

VR2BrettGraham
KC0QZX mentioned:

>I work on a ship that goes to Japan, China, Taiwan and Korea.  I am presently
>getting my tickets to run from these countries while I'm dockside.  I hope to
>see a lot of you on 20-40 meters in the future.

In Taiwan & the mainland, I believe the best you can do will be a permit to
operate an existing station... seriously doubt you will be able to lawfully
operate your own station on board a foreign flagged ship from dockside in
either place.

73, VR2BrettGraham