New to HAM and the K1

Jim Cannan
Hello,

I am new the to HAM hobby and just finished building my first K1.  All has
went well for the most part, but I am having trouble understanding the
alignment process.  I have searched the email list and older postings to try
and find some help but still a little fuzzy.  First off,  I am currently a
contractor overseas and do not have access to a lot of equipment or parts.
I usually have to order stuff in even the simple stuff like solder.  So
anyway I purchased the signal generator kit from elecraft to use for a
signal source for alignment and I am having trouble knowing whether it is
even working or not.  Its supposed to be 7.040 MHz but I go to that freq and
can't find it.  So I thought about using the Spectrogram software, but not
sure how to connect that to the K1, since there is no RS232 connection.  Any
help would be appreciated.

73,

KD0FJM

Re: New to HAM and the K1

Don Wilhelm-4
Jim,

You do not need anything more than a stereo cable with a 1/8 inch stereo
plug on each end to use Spectrogram.  In fact the cable does not have to
be stereo, just the plugs (connect only the tip and sleeve if you are
building the cable).  The cable connects between the K1 headphone output
and the computer soundcard LINE-IN.  If you can receive a signal at all,
the Spectrogram display will help you tune the filters for a peak in the
signal amplitude.  You really don't even need Spectrogram, you can use
your ears.  Spectrogram just makes it much easier to see the relative
amplitude and the audio frequency of a received signal.

First off, when aligning the K1, it is good to have a strong signal
generator for each of the bands you have on your K1 - sometimes it is
not necessary, but if you cannot hear any signals, it is a good bet that
the Pre-Mixer bandpass filter and the RF Bandpass filter on the 2 band
or 4 band board need better alignment - and to initially align them it
is nice to have a strong signal within the tuning range of each K1
band.  Another QRP transmitter nearby working into a dummy load is often
a good source of such a strong signal.  The XG1 or XG2 output is only at
an S-9 level, and often is not strong enough for the initial alignment.

If you have no strong signal source, tune around to see if you can hear
any signal at all, if so, use that to do the initial receive alignment.
If you have the 4 band filter board, the trimmers should all be near the
center of their tuning range (the screwdriver slots should be aligned
parallel with the long edge of the 4 band board to start with, and the
final tuning will not be far away from that position unless you have a
problem with the toroids).

Once you have the pre-mixer bandpass and RF bandpass filters set so you
can receive signals, the alignment of these filters is refined by using
transmit mode - connect a dummy load and read the power output from the
K1 display, no other equipment is needed, just tune for peak power
output - if the power rises substantially, you will have to exit TUNE
and enter TUNE again to bring the power back down to the value in the
OUT menu parameter.

After you have the pre-mixer and RF bandpass filters aligned, go back to
Spectrogram, and use a noise source on the antenna input - connect an
antenna and tune to a spot with no signals in the passband if you do not
have a wideband noise generator.  Now switch to FL3 and note the audio
frequency of the passband center on the Spectrogram display.  If it is
not at your chosen sidetone pitch, adjust the recieve BFO trimmer (C20)
so the passband is centered at your sidetone pitch.

Then, with Spectrogram still displaying, move the switch on the bottom
of the RF board to the TEST position and adjust the transmit BFO trimmer
(C13) to place the large signal that you see on the Spectrogram display
at your chosen sidetone pitch.  Place the switch back in the OP position
and you will have the BFOs aligned.

If you have the KNB1 installed, tune in a signal and using Spectrogram
as the display aid, adjust the trimmer on that board for a maximum
amplitude received signal.

The rest of the alignment and calibration is done by adjusting the menu
parameters (CAL OPF, SIG, etc.).