Noise Blanker Observations?

S Sacco
All -

One of the reasons for purchasing a K3 over, say, an Icom IC-756ProIII was
that the ProII I used to have had a noise blanker button, but it never
seemed to actually do much.

Sadly, I'm in the midst of several severe power line noise sources (the
power company is getting to them as they can), but I'm finding that my K3 NB
is having no effect, in ANY of the zillion settings available.  This isn't
strange, bizarro noise - just arching from a power line.   Is anyone else
experiencing less than satisfactory NB performance with their K3?  I'm
running the latest Production firmware.

Comments appreciated - you can make them private, if you like, and I'll post
a summary.

Thanks,

Steve NN4X
K3 S/N 1317
K3 S/N 0458

Re: Noise Blanker Observations?

Ignacy
From time to time I have a very strong powerline or other impulse noise or noises. K3 sometimes takes care of it sometimes not. I general, I have a feeling that NB is IC-7000 is a bit better although K3 does well with some types of noise that IC7000 cannot bite with the DSP NB.

NB takes care of short impulse noises from a single location very well. When the noise is from multiple locations or of a very complex type, NB does not do much. In such a case, a device like MFJ-1026 does wonders; you will need a second antenna.

Ignacy

S Sacco wrote