OT - 9 day Special Event ROUTE 66 ON-THE-AIR 1 day away

OT - 9 day Special Event ROUTE 66 ON-THE-AIR 1 day away

hf4me
Thanks for the bandwidth - Any responses/questions pls reply direct off reflector.

2009 Route 66 is September 12 0001z through September 20 2400z.

W6A through W6R and W6W - 19 stations this year.

Find us - Work us  - on all bands and modes.

Guideline frequencies plus/minus qrm:

80 3533 3866,

40 7033 7266,

30 19119,

20 14033 14266,

17 18080 18164,

15 21033 21366,

12 24900 24966,

10 28033 28466,

For QSL cards, apply to each individual site along the route.

QSL for W6P contacts only is for an SASE to KG0KP (QRZ address).

For certificate applications and additional information see the following website for details.

Work all stations and all the "endorsements" for a fully completed certificate.

See http://www.w6jbt.org/

73, de Jim KG0KP

REF CAL

alorona
REF CAL. There is supposed to be a "Method 3" to enter the frequency vs. temperature data shipped with the KTCXO3-1 TCXO. I guess this hasn't been implemented yet?

Al  W6LX

Re: REF CAL

M0XDF
no it hasn't :-(
73 de M0XDF
--
The soul is the same in all living creatures, although the body is
different. -Hippocrates, physician (460-c.377 BCE)

On 12 Sep 2009, at 08:25, Al Lorona wrote:

> REF CAL. There is supposed to be a "Method 3" to enter the frequency
> vs. temperature data shipped with the KTCXO3-1 TCXO. I guess this
> hasn't been implemented yet?

Re: REF CAL

Brendan Minish
On Sat, 2009-09-12 at 08:56 +0100, David Ferrington, M0XDF wrote:
> no it hasn't :-(

But it is already much better than 1ppm even without 'method3'
the TCXO is in a thermally stable part of the radio so once the radio
has warmed up it's very stable indeed. I regularly use my k3 for looking
at Doppler shift on beacon transmissions on 6m with no issues regarding
stability.
Being able to lock my K3 to an external 10MHz reference might be nice
someday though.

Brendan EI6IZ

Re: REF CAL

Mike Harris
Hi Al,

No.

It is also wise to re check REF CAL after maybe a year of burn in.
I re did mine after about 1-1/2 years and I had to retune approx
50Hz lower.  Only to be expected.

Regards,

Mike VP8NO

> REF CAL. There is supposed to be a "Method 3" to enter the
> frequency vs. temperature data shipped with the KTCXO3-1 TCXO. I
> guess this hasn't been implemented yet?
>
> Al  W6LX

Re: REF CAL

n7ws

--- On Sat, 9/12/09, Brendan Minish
Being able to lock my K3 to an external 10MHz reference might be nice
someday though.

That might make it more stable but it won't make it more accurate.

For the reason why, see: http://n2.nabble.com/Ref-Osc-Cal-Method-4-td2595451.html#a2595451

Brendan EI6IZ

Re: REF CAL

P.B. Christensen
>> Being able to lock my K3 to an external 10MHz reference might be nice
someday though.

> That might make it more stable but it won't make it more accurate.
>
> For the reason why, see:
> http://n2.nabble.com/Ref-Osc-Cal-Method-4-td2595451.html#a2595451

Wes,

I read your description, but are you also implying that a 10 MHz GPSDO would
not provide additional accuracy to the K3?   When a precision 10 MHz time
base is used as a superhet receiver's frequency reference, the accuracy is
generally not as good as the precision time base itself owing to decimation
error, but it is still significantly better than an internal TCXO even when
the best calibration methods are used.

For example, when a GPSDO is used with the Icom 7700, absolute accuracy does
not approach the 1x10^-11 long-term accuracy of the GPSDO and can be off by
~ 0.05 Hz at 1 MHz and probably rivals the real-world accuracy of its
internal 0.05 ppm OCXO.  But the K3's optional TCXO is specified at 1.0 ppm
accuracy.  So, if the K3 were combined with a GPSDO or a high-quality OCXO,
I would expect much better accuracy and stability than that of the Elecraft
TCXO.

Paul, W9AC

Re: REF CAL

n7ws
Paul,

I suppose I should have added "necessarily more accurate."

What I'm getting at is that the K3 received frequency varies as the DSP bandwidth is adjusted.  So for example, if one was going to read the frequency of a beat note on a sound card, without other tuning, the beat note will change with bandwidth changes.

Maybe I'm overlooking something (always a good possibility) but I cannot see any use for a GPSDO (other than bragging rights) besides FMTs or UHF/microwave weak signal work.

Frankly, I haven't kept up with the current methodology in the FMT, but if it includes relying on an audio beat note then I'm suggesting that this is suspect.

If I'm in error, I would be happy to be educated.

Wes