OT: Advice re: blocking RF from rx-only antenna

OT: Advice re: blocking RF from rx-only antenna

David Herring-3
Hi Everyone,

Yes, this is off-topic a bit, but I know there are some of you here who will be able to get me going in the right direction.

I have a PixelSatRadio RF Pro 1A receive-only moebius loop antenna.  It is being used with a Kenwood TS-440S that does not have the provisions for a receive antenna like the K3 does.  In order to make sure one doesn't fry the antenna's pre-amp, I need a fool-proof way to ensure that no one ever accidentally sends RF down the coax to that antenna.

I have thought about maybe some kind of a PTT enabled antenna switch.

I have thought about some kind black box with a circuit one could build that would act as a gatekeeper to allow RF in from the antenna but block any going out.

I have searched the 'net and have not yet found anything along those lines that I could implement.

So my question to you is, can anyone here recommend such a switch or such a black box circuit?  Or maybe propose something else that I'm not even thinking of?  Any ideas, suggestions, recommendations?

I need this to be on-the-cheap and I'm not opposed to homebrewing something here, though I only have modest-at-best skills in homebrewing.

Many many thanks,

Dave, AH6TD

I now return this reflector to normal programming, already in progress.  ;-)

Re: OT: Advice re: blocking RF from rx-only antenna

N8MSA
I used, until recently, a ELAD transmit/receiver switch to protect the front end of my auxiliary receiver. I know that MFJ makes at one model as well (MFJ-1708), perhaps two. The ELAD switch isn't normally available in the US, but is frequently available used and can be ordered from Europe.

73,

Mike Alexander - N8MSA

[hidden email]

Re: OT: Advice re: blocking RF from rx-only antenna

David Herring-3
Well, these certainly are compelling solutions, even though they are designed for separate transmitter and receiver, rather than separate transmit & receive antennas.  I suppose one could just "use it backwards" so to speak, and it would work.  More money than I'd hoped to pay, but not out of the question.  Not a bad suggestion really, and I'm not sure how I missed these when I was searching.

Thing that I find myself wondering now is what would happen when the receive coax gets shorted to ground, as both these units do when in transmit mode...probably nothing, but that's a question for the antenna manufacturer.

Thanks, 73 & Aloha,

Dave, AH6TD

On Apr 22, 2012, at 10:11 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> I used, until recently, a ELAD transmit/receiver switch to protect the front end of my auxiliary receiver. I know that MFJ makes at one model as well (MFJ-1708), perhaps two. The ELAD switch isn't normally available in the US, but is frequently available used and can be ordered from Europe.
>
> 73,
>
> Mike Alexander - N8MSA
>
> [hidden email]

Dave,

That situation is dealt with routinely by VHF folks with mast mounted
preamps.
Using a coax relay to connect the amplifier to the antenna and a second
relay to connect the preamp to a 50 ohm load will usually provide
adequate isolation.