[OT] Dayton- new hf rigs?

"Carl, KØTNT"
There is no charge from Flex for software with the original purchase.
The $199 per year covers software upgrades AND technical support.
Somewhat the same approach as the new owners of Ham Radio Deluxe, and
the same program Carl Moreschi, N4PY, has been running for many years
now with his computer software controls for many rigs including the K3.
The DDC approach isn't something that Flex just thought up last week.
They have been doing this for quite some time in sales to commercial and
military customers so I think a lot of initial bugs have probably been
dealt with. Altho the "introductory price" is pretty staggering.
OTOH I am one of the "abandoned" SDR1000 crowd. When I first got one
(used unit by a trade) many years ago, it was exciting with lots of new
inputs, features, upgrades, bug fixes, new GUI skins, etc. Sometimes
updates per week. But then when they brought out the 5000 series, the
SDR1000 pioneers such as me got dumped by the side of the road.

--
73.14159..., Carl, KØTNT

Re: [OT] Dayton- new hf rigs?

Jim Low man
Of course, this new direction by Flex in software begs the question of
whether
they will continue to support and improve the existing PowerSDR software.
I'd hate to think that my Flex-1500 that's less than a year old will
never change
for the better.
Of course, that question may have been asked and answered on the Flex
list, so
I'll go over there and not perpetuate this OT discussion.

72/73 de Jim - AD6CW

On 5/21/2012 3:37 PM, "Carl, KØTNT" wrote:

> There is no charge from Flex for software with the original purchase.
> The $199 per year covers software upgrades AND technical support.
> Somewhat the same approach as the new owners of Ham Radio Deluxe, and
> the same program Carl Moreschi, N4PY, has been running for many years
> now with his computer software controls for many rigs including the K3.
> The DDC approach isn't something that Flex just thought up last week.
> They have been doing this for quite some time in sales to commercial and
> military customers so I think a lot of initial bugs have probably been
> dealt with. Altho the "introductory price" is pretty staggering.
> OTOH I am one of the "abandoned" SDR1000 crowd. When I first got one
> (used unit by a trade) many years ago, it was exciting with lots of new
> inputs, features, upgrades, bug fixes, new GUI skins, etc. Sometimes
> updates per week. But then when they brought out the 5000 series, the
> SDR1000 pioneers such as me got dumped by the side of the road.

Re: [OT] Dayton- new hf rigs?

Dave Hachadorian
Why is it that the off-topic threads are the ones that go on
forever?

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, Arizona

.