OT: Distinguishable angular momentum in radio photons?

OT: Distinguishable angular momentum in radio photons?

K7TV
The May 2012 issue of the IEEE Spectrum magazine reports that researchers in
Italy and Sweden were able to conduct two separate instances of radio
communication on the exact same frequency, without increasing bandwidth, and
without time-division multiplexing, be making the transmissions differ in
angular momentum. One transmission used linear polarization, and the other
was given angular momentum by means of a dish with a radial cut, where the
metal  was bent backwards/forwards on the two sides of the cut. Apparently
this is not just a case of linear vs circular polarization, as circular
polarization can be readily picked up by a linearly polarized antenna, and
apparently the two channels did not interfere with each other. The
researchers claim that this demonstration points to the possibility that the
radio photons can be given multiple, quanized levels of angular momentum,
making possible several more communication channels without increased
bandwidth. Other researchers say that this is just a form of MIMO. Wikipedia
describes MIMO as the technique of using multiple antennas as in diversity
reception or in gain increases obtained by phasing the antennas.

My apologies if this is too far OT.

73,

Erik K7TV

Re: OT: Distinguishable angular momentum in radio photons?

K7TV
Oh, and the first thing I looked at was whether it was in the April issue.
It was not. Maybe the IEEE got it from another publication's April issue?

six K3's at 7O6T

Bob K6UJ

Paul, N6PSE,  reported on the rigs used at the Yemen, 7O6T, DXPedition now in progress.

A number of people have emailed me about the rigs/amps at 7O6T.

We have six K3's and one TS-590.  We have six Acom 1010 Amps.

We have a THP spare Amp.   The K3's are simply amazing!

Paul N6PSE

Bob
K6UJ

Re: six K3's at 7O6T

Tony Estep
On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 9:28 AM, Bob K6UJ <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Paul, N6PSE,  reported on the rigs used at the Yemen, 7O6T, DXPedition...

================
The ops on this expedition are among the very best in the world, as you can
prove to yourself by listening to the masterful way they handle the piles
and the tremendous run rate they achieve. Their bios are on the
expedition's page at:
http://www.yemen2012.com/team.php
and as you can see, as a group they have been on literally hundreds of
DXpeditions. Their choice of the K3 for their operating rigs kinda sez it
all. And BTW the proof that the K3 can do the job is reflected in their
consistent ability to (within seconds!) pick out a single call from the
seething mass with few repeats necessary.

Tony KT0NY

--
http://www.isb.edu/faculty/facultydir.aspx?ddlFaculty=352

Re: six K3's at 7O6T

W7GJ, Lance
With those great rigs and their ability to operate 6m JT65A so well, I sure wish they
would try to get on 6m during their moonset....the best week of the month for 6m EME,
and no word at all from them about that :-(   VY 73, Lance

On 5/4/2012 2:28 PM, Bob K6UJ wrote:

> Paul, N6PSE,  reported on the rigs used at the Yemen, 7O6T, DXPedition now in progress.
>

> A number of people have emailed me about the rigs/amps at 7O6T.
>
> We have six K3's and one TS-590.  We have six Acom 1010 Amps.
>
> We have a THP spare Amp.   The K3's are simply amazing!
>

> Paul N6PSE
>

> Bob
> K6UJ

Lance Collister, W7GJ
(ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ)
P.O. Box 73
Frenchtown, MT   59834-0073
USA
TEL: (406) 626-5728
QTH: DN27ub
Windows Messenger: [hidden email]
Skype: lanceW7GJ
2m DXCC #11/6m DXCC #815

Interested in 6m EME?  Ask me about subscribing to the Magic Band EME
page (above)!

Re: six K3's at 7O6T

Jim Brown-10
On 5/4/2012 7:51 AM, Tony Estep wrote:
> The ops on this expedition are among the very best in the world, as you can
> prove to yourself by listening to the masterful way they handle the piles
> and the tremendous run rate they achieve.
Thanks to their location 9,000 miles from me with a beam heading of 2.4
degrees (through the aurora), a QSO requires great propagation, great
antennas, and great ops on both ends, you've got to be there during the
hour or so each day when there's propagation on any given band, AND
you've got to get through the wall of east coast stations who are 20 dB
stronger and the EU stations who are 30 dB stronger.

Every time I've heard this team there's been a great operator at the
other end.  I've managed to work them twice, on 17M CW and 20M CW.  So
far, the only time I've not heard them on SSB well enough to call was
for a half hour on 15M, and the op was working JA (and making great
rate). By the time he listened for US, propagation was gone.

73, Jim K9YC

Re: OT: Distinguishable angular momentum in radio photons?

Jussi Eloranta
On 05/03/2012 10:10 PM, Erik Basilier wrote:

> The May 2012 issue of the IEEE Spectrum magazine reports that researchers in
> Italy and Sweden were able to conduct two separate instances of radio
> communication on the exact same frequency, without increasing bandwidth, and
> without time-division multiplexing, be making the transmissions differ in
> angular momentum. One transmission used linear polarization, and the other
> was given angular momentum by means of a dish with a radial cut, where the
> metal  was bent backwards/forwards on the two sides of the cut. Apparently
> this is not just a case of linear vs circular polarization, as circular
> polarization can be readily picked up by a linearly polarized antenna, and
> apparently the two channels did not interfere with each other. The
> researchers claim that this demonstration points to the possibility that the
> radio photons can be given multiple, quanized levels of angular momentum,
> making possible several more communication channels without increased
> bandwidth. Other researchers say that this is just a form of MIMO. Wikipedia
> describes MIMO as the technique of using multiple antennas as in diversity
> reception or in gain increases obtained by phasing the antennas.

The only source of angular momentum in a photon is its intrinsic spin (
= 1). This can have two projections, +1 and -1 (only two, unlike for
most spin one particles, which have three possible projections).
However, these two projections are directly related to the left and
right circularly polarized light, so I cannot quite see what other
source of angular momentum could arise in this case? Having said this, I
don't quite believe in the Swedish group explanation of this experiment.

Jussi Eloranta
AA6KJ

Re: OT: Distinguishable angular momentum in radio photons?

Stephen G4SJP
I read a fairly comprehensive debunking of this some weeks/months ago, I
just wish I could remember where I read it, it might have been in one of
the physics publications I take at work, now probably buried under mounds
of other stuff!

I seem to recall that it picked up on pretty much the same points as Jussi
has written.
If I can find the source, I will post a link to it.

73 Stephen G4SJP

On 4 May 2012 20:02, Jussi Eloranta <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 05/03/2012 10:10 PM, Erik Basilier wrote:
> > The May 2012 issue of the IEEE Spectrum magazine reports that
> researchers in
> > Italy and Sweden were able to conduct two separate instances of radio
> > communication on the exact same frequency, without increasing bandwidth,
> and
> > without time-division multiplexing, be making the transmissions differ in
> > angular momentum. One transmission used linear polarization, and the
> other
> > was given angular momentum by means of a dish with a radial cut, where
> the
> > metal  was bent backwards/forwards on the two sides of the cut.
> Apparently
> > this is not just a case of linear vs circular polarization, as circular
> > polarization can be readily picked up by a linearly polarized antenna,
> and
> > apparently the two channels did not interfere with each other. The
> > researchers claim that this demonstration points to the possibility that
> the
> > radio photons can be given multiple, quanized levels of angular momentum,
> > making possible several more communication channels without increased
> > bandwidth. Other researchers say that this is just a form of MIMO.
> Wikipedia
> > describes MIMO as the technique of using multiple antennas as in
> diversity
> > reception or in gain increases obtained by phasing the antennas.
> >
> The only source of angular momentum in a photon is its intrinsic spin (
> = 1). This can have two projections, +1 and -1 (only two, unlike for
> most spin one particles, which have three possible projections).
> However, these two projections are directly related to the left and
> right circularly polarized light, so I cannot quite see what other
> source of angular momentum could arise in this case? Having said this, I
> don't quite believe in the Swedish group explanation of this experiment.
>
> Jussi Eloranta
> AA6KJ

Re: OT: Distinguishable angular momentum in radio photons?

Don Wilhelm-4
The C-band satellite has 2 channels on each frequency - I can't recall
if one was horizontally polarized and th other vertical or whether one
used right hand circular and the other left hand.  In any case, it works
and works quite well.

So having 2 non-interfering non-multiplexed streams on one frequency is
nothing new.

On 5/4/2012 3:13 PM, Stephen Prior wrote:

> I read a fairly comprehensive debunking of this some weeks/months ago, I
> just wish I could remember where I read it, it might have been in one of
> the physics publications I take at work, now probably buried under mounds
> of other stuff!
>
> I seem to recall that it picked up on pretty much the same points as Jussi
> has written.
> If I can find the source, I will post a link to it.
>
> 73 Stephen G4SJP

Re: OT: Distinguishable angular momentum in radio photons?

Sverre Holm (LA3ZA)
This is the debunking saying that this is more or less a special case of MIMO - Multiple Input Multiple Output - communications, i.e. using multiple antennas on the rx and tx sides:

"Is orbital angular momentum (OAM) based radio communication an unexploited area?" Ove Edfors and Anders J Johansson, IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON ANTENNAS AND PROPAGATION, 2012

http://www.lunduniversity.lu.se/o.o.i.s?id=12683&postid=2062936

Abstract: "We compare the technique of using the orbital angular momentum (OAM) of radio waves for generating multiple channels in a radio communication scenario with traditional multiple-in-multiple-out (MIMO) communication methods. We demonstrate that, for certain array configurations in free space, traditional MIMO theory leads to eigen-modes identical to the OAM states. From this we conclude that communicating over the sub-channels given by OAM states is a subset of the solutions offered by MIMO, and therefore does not offer any additional gains in capacity."
Sverre, LA3ZA

K2 #2198, K3 #3391,
LA3ZA Blog: http://la3za.blogspot.com,
LA3ZA Unofficial Guide to K2 modifications: http://la3za.blogspot.com/p/la3za-unofficial-guide-to-elecraft-k2.html

Re: OT: Distinguishable angular momentum in radio photons?

erehm
Contact me if you would like a copy of this 2 page article.

"A New Twist on Radio Waves", IEEE Spectrum, Vol 9 (5), May 2012

/eric, kj7ae

Re: six K3's at 7O6T

W7GJ, Lance
Thanks very much for the info and the try!  GL and VY 73, Lance

--
Lance Collister, W7GJ
(ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ)
P.O. Box 73
Frenchtown, MT   59834-0073
USA
TEL: (406) 626-5728
QTH: DN27ub
Windows Messenger: [hidden email]
Skype: lanceW7GJ
2m DXCC #11/6m DXCC #815

Interested in 6m EME?  Ask me about subscribing to the Magic Band EME
page (above)!

Re: OT: Distinguishable angular momentum in radio photons?

erehm
Better yet, it's available free on-line:

http://spectrum.ieee.org/telecom/wireless/a-new-twist-on-radio-waves

/eric, kj7ae

Re: six K3's at 7O6T

John Harper AE5X
Tony, I actually heard you work them last night (or was it the night before?). Congrats!

John AE5X
http://www.ae5x.com/blog

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 5:48 PM, John Harper <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Tony, I actually heard you work them...

===========
Why thank you, John. Their K3s have a natural affinity for signals from
another K3.

Tony KT0NY

--
http://www.isb.edu/faculty/facultydir.aspx?ddlFaculty=352

Re: six K3's at 7O6T

Randy Lake
Are there P3's ? Their operating would leave me to believe there was.

Randy N1KWF

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 10:28 AM, Bob K6UJ <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Paul, N6PSE,  reported on the rigs used at the Yemen, 7O6T, DXPedition now
> in progress.
>

> A number of people have emailed me about the rigs/amps at 7O6T.
>
> We have six K3's and one TS-590.  We have six Acom 1010 Amps.
>
> We have a THP spare Amp.   The K3's are simply amazing!
>

> Paul N6PSE
>

> Bob
> K6UJ

Randy Lake N1KWF
73 Gunn Rd.
Keene,NH

Re: six K3's at 7O6T

Scott Manthe-2
These guys don't need P3s. Every one of the ops on this expedition is a
world class operator.

73,
Scott, N9AA

On 5/4/12 8:30 PM, Randy Lake wrote:
> Are there P3's ? Their operating would leave me to believe there was.
>
> Randy N1KWF

Re: OT: Distinguishable angular momentum in radio photons?

K7TV
Eric, thanks for posting the link to the original article, and thanks also
to the others who responded to my post.
Since nobody complained about the subject, I guess I can make these comments
before the thread gets to be too long and too OT.

I did get one private email from a list member who felt I was a
non-technical person writing about things way beyond my education. Just in
case a lot of readers may feel the same way, let me explain to the list. I
felt that the startling claims of the article would make for a more
interesting conversation topic than some other discussions on the reflector.
I related the gist of the article without personally trying to either
support or debunk the content. I have a PhD in Physics as well as a Masters
in Engineering from long ago, but I would not take myself so seriously as to
spend the effort to try to arrive at a personal evaluation of a subject that
the active researchers (pro as well as con) spent many hours on.

Without the intent of supporting or disproving the claimed results, and
after reading the comments (but none of the original work), I make these
basic observations:

* Radio waves differ from light only by frequency, and are composed of
photons if light is understood as composed of photons.
* Photons have linear momentum although they don't have any rest mass. They
also have two kinds of angular momentum, Spin Angular Momentum (SAM, with
only two possible measured values), and Orbital Angular Momentum (OAM, which
can have many).
* The claim was not just that you can have two independent communications
(as possible by means of circular polarization), but more than two.
* The claim of multiple levels of angular momentum tells us that it is about
OAM and not SAM. The abstract of the debunking research (thanks Sverre for
posting) explicitly refers to OAM.
* "Debunking" can have multiple meanings. Sometimes it can mean that the
information in question is garbage. Sometimes it merely means that the
information is not as new as claimed. In this case, the debunking might be
of the second type (although I am not deeply enough in the issue to say it
is).
* Once one goes deep enough in physics, one finds that the "laws of nature"
are just "models" that intend to mimic reality, and they are not reality
itself. It may turn out that the claims made in this case bring nothing to
our understanding, but there is not unusual in science to have situations
where two theories explain the same phenomena in very different ways, and
where neither theory can be pronounced "incorrect".

73,
Erik K7TV

Better yet, it's available free on-line:

http://spectrum.ieee.org/telecom/wireless/a-new-twist-on-radio-waves

/eric, kj7ae

Re: OT: Distinguishable angular momentum in radio photons?

alorona
Very cool, Erik. There is a lot of astounding discovery taking place right now
in physics. Another extremely weird relatively recent finding is vector
potential (VP) radiation, in which communications are conducted not by actual
photons but by virtual photons with zero power (the ultimate QRP) and cannot be
received with metallic antennas; the antennas used are fluorescent bulbs from
camping lanterns!

All these secrets of the universe that continue to be discovered.

Al  W6LX

Re: OT: Distinguishable angular momentum in radio photons?

Cookie
Well said Erik.  My credentials do not match yours, but I do have a BS in Physics and made a living for 40 years as an Engineer.  The theory may be bunk, but that is what most said about Einstein when he presented the Theory of Relativity.  It sounds to me like a theory that is worth per-suing for someone.  I don't think it is time to start pestering Wayne and Eric for a KX-31 yet, but inventing a detector for Angular Momentum might be an interesting research project for someone qualified.  It is certainly a theory that is worth some minutes or hours of contemplation for me and for Erik as well, probably a lot of others on this august reflector. Theories are always ideas that someone is brave enough to present and risk being called a fool in hope that someone will prove he is a genius.

Willis 'Cookie' Cooke
K5EWJ & Trustee N5BPS, USS Cavalla, USS Stewart