OT: MITx Kick Off - Sign Up for Circuits and Electronics

OT: MITx Kick Off - Sign Up for Circuits and Electronics

Bill W4ZV
I thought this might be of possible interest to some.  I believe it's free and open to anyone.

73,  Bill

6.002x (Circuits and Electronics) is an experimental on-line adaptation of MIT’s first undergraduate analog design course: 6.002. This course will run, free of charge, for students worldwide from March 5, 2012 through June 8, 2012.

Professor Anant Agarwal, director of the Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory, leads the class.

The inaugural class for MITx—an Institute effort that will develop new interactive, open-source teaching tools while offering web-only courses—will introduce learners worldwide to smartphone secrets such as lumped circuit abstraction. Check the description for 6.002x Circuits and Electronics to learn what physics and math you need to be successful, watch a short introductory video, and enroll.

https://6002x.mitx.mit.edu/

The course, which runs March 5–June 8, is free but you must register and complete the assignments to earn an MITx certificate.

Re: OT: MITx Kick Off - Sign Up for Circuits and Electronics

Rick McClelland, AA5S
Did anyone else on this list give this class a go?  I'm just finishing up a
monster of a final exam, having spent thirteen hours on it today (got an A
in the course, woo hoo.)

I would like to thank Bill profusely for posting the message before the
start of the class.  I certainly would not have been aware of the course
had he not been considerate enough to think of us.  I believe this has been
the most rewarding class I've taken in the last thirty years and I
whole-heartily recommend it to others who might consider taking it in the
future.

Rick, AA5S

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 6:26 AM, Bill W4ZV <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I thought this might be of possible interest to some.  I believe it's free
> and open to anyone.
>
> 73,  Bill
>
> 6.002x (Circuits and Electronics) is an experimental on-line adaptation of
> MIT’s first undergraduate analog design course: 6.002. This course will
> run,
> free of charge, for students worldwide from March 5, 2012 through June 8,
> 2012.
>
> Professor Anant Agarwal, director of the Computer Science and Artificial
> Intelligence Laboratory, leads the class.
>
> The inaugural class for MITx—an Institute effort that will develop new
> interactive, open-source teaching tools while offering web-only
> courses—will
> introduce learners worldwide to smartphone secrets such as lumped circuit
> abstraction. Check the description for 6.002x Circuits and Electronics to
> learn what physics and math you need to be successful, watch a short
> introductory video, and enroll.
>
> https://6002x.mitx.mit.edu/
>
> The course, which runs March 5–June 8, is free but you must register and
> complete the assignments to earn an MITx certificate.

Rick McClelland, AA5S
Fort Collins, CO

Fwd: OT: MITx Kick Off - Sign Up for Circuits and Electronics

Rick McClelland, AA5S
meant to send this to the list...

Re: OT: MITx Kick Off - Sign Up for Circuits and Electronics

Kevin Cozens-2
On 12-06-09 11:43 PM, Rick McClelland, AA5S wrote:
> Did anyone else on this list give this class a go?

I was working on the 6.002x course thanks to seeing the message about it in
this mailing list. I signed up less than a week before the course started. I
also wound up with an A.

Having done the course I am now able to look at the filter circuit changes
suggested by KI6WX and compare the original version with the suggested
circuit changes to see for myself the expected difference in behaviour.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.ve3syb.ca/           |"Nerds make the shiny things that distract
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172      | the mouth-breathers, and that's why we're
                                 | powerful!"
#include <disclaimer/favourite> |             --Chris Hardwick

Re: OT: MITx Kick Off - Sign Up for Circuits and Electronics

Rick McClelland, AA5S
Congratulations, Kevin on completing the course and doing well.  It is
heart-breaking to see the postings from the people who missed the final for
what-ever reason or missed a C by a single point.  I, too, hadn't heard of
this course before Bill sent that email so I think we both must have signed
up about the same time.  Yes, it is really nice to have a better
understanding of circuits than before.  For me, I really had no clear idea
what OP amps were doing or the small-signal behavior of MOSFETs.  I think I
prefer the slower manner of studying that I used when I originally obtained
my ham ticket to the fire-hose approach but I'm still quite please that I
was able to take the course.  I would definitely recommend these courses to
others with the caveat that they should have plenty of time available to
dedicate to studying because the recommended ten hours a week probably
isn't enough for most people.