OT: Maytag Bravos RFI

Don Rasmussen
The wife gave me the green light to replace our Whirlpool Duet washing machine, aside from the terrible interference it put on HF, she was not happy with the rinse cycle, it was leaving soap in our cloths -and- they were not getting clean.

My decision, to abandon high efficiency front load and go back to tried and true conventional top load washer that has no computer/switcher power supply to hash me.

Two days ago I bought a top loader, a Maytag Bravos from Fry's at $699 marked down $200. Should be a good one right? Nope, S5 interference across 17m and 20m every 15 khz. Seems they are now putting front load technology (computer/switcher) in top load washers. The clue is if the washer will only accept HD detergent.

So that's two 1K retail machines that I cannot use.

Fry's to their credit, hauled off the Bravos washer and brought in an LG I had selected. I had avoided the Korean alternative wanting to buy US, however the salesman said it was their best line.

It is clearly a better quality unit, and even though it is a front loader with all the features, it is RF quiet. Hallalujah.

The new washer is an LG WM0642H.

I pray to the heavens that it cleans the cloths. ;-)

Re: OT: Maytag Bravos RFI

Jim Brown-10
On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 08:58:42 -0700 (PDT), Don Rasmussen wrote:

>The wife gave me the green light to replace our Whirlpool Duet
washing machine, aside from the terrible interference it put on HF,
she was not happy with the rinse cycle, it was leaving soap in our
cloths -and- they were not getting clean.

>My decision, to abandon high efficiency front load and go back to
tried and true conventional top load washer that has no
computer/switcher power supply to hash me.

>Two days ago I bought a top loader, a Maytag Bravos from Fry's at
$699 marked down $200. Should be a good one right? Nope, S5
interference across 17m and 20m every 15 khz. Seems they are now
putting front load technology (computer/switcher) in top load
washers. The clue is if the washer will only accept HD detergent.

>So that's two 1K retail machines that I cannot use.

>Fry's to their credit, hauled off the Bravos washer and brought in
an LG I had selected. I had avoided the Korean alternative wanting
to buy US, however the salesman said it was their best line.

>It is clearly a better quality unit, and even though it is a front
loader with all the features, it is RF quiet. Hallalujah.

>The new washer is an LG WM0642H.

>I pray to the heavens that it cleans the cloths. ;-)

Don,

Many thanks!  I'm forwarding this email to the RFI list, where there
has been considerable discussion on this topic.

73,

Jim K9YC

Re: OT: Maytag Bravos RFI

N2TK
My Kenwood front loader which is about 12' from my rigs is RF quiet.
N2TK, Tony

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 12:44:11 -0400, N2TK wrote:

>My Kenwood front loader which is about 12' from my rigs is RF quiet.

Proximity to your RIG doesn't matter. What matters is proximity to your
ANTENNAS.

73,

Jim K9YC

Re: OT: Maytag Bravos RFI

Ed Gray W0SD
I would consider this a whole lot less OT than a lot of things I read.
I found it very valuable. There seems to be a site for nearly everything
on the internet anymore.  A valuable site would be one that hams would
participate in and list items that are clean and don't interfere with
the radio spectrum.  The switching supplies seem to be a major culprit
and it is just going to get worse.  Even those that meet the FCC Part 15
Class B standards can be a real problem with our amateur equipment.  In
roughly the last year I have had switching power supply noise from my
new computer which made DXing on the low bands impossible until I solved
with filtering on the AC line.  I had router noise across all the bands
which made many, many frequenies un-useable some of which were places I
operate a lot which I could not anymore.  Fortunately I pretty well
cured this by slowing the speed. Both of those answers came from this
reflector so I would not call help permitting me to use my K3's OT. My
latest problem which I have not been able to solve is 24 khz switching
noise from my Outback MPPT solar controller.  The harmonics from it make
it all the way up to two meters. It is S-9+15 db on 160M.

This switching noise is a tough one as IMHO it should be cured at the
source rather than the output where instead of stopping the switching
frequency you have the whole spectrum of interference to deal with.  Of
course if you start modifying internally you are going to void the warranty.

At this point based on my last years experience before I buy anything
different I am going to do my very best to try and find out about radio
noise and if I can not then be sure I can return it without a penalty.
Where possible one may have to bring a K3 with a gel battery to the
store and check things out. The thing is there are a lot of things now
that are noise sources that I for one would not expect as almost
everything is going to switching supplies.

Ed W0SD

Re: OT: Maytag Bravos RFI

N2TK
Just thinking about this. Is it across all HF bands RF type pickup? Or is it
band specific? Is it only when the drum motor is running or is the RF noise
there all the time the washer is on?
Is the noise being picked up from the shields of the coax - do you hear the
RF noise if you disconnect the cables from the rig and short  or 50 ohm
terminate the coax connector(s)?

73,
N2TK, Tony

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 08:58:42 -0700 (PDT), Don Rasmussen wrote:

>The wife gave me the green light to replace our Whirlpool Duet
washing machine, aside from the terrible interference it put on HF,
she was not happy with the rinse cycle, it was leaving soap in our
cloths -and- they were not getting clean.

>My decision, to abandon high efficiency front load and go back to
tried and true conventional top load washer that has no
computer/switcher power supply to hash me.

>Two days ago I bought a top loader, a Maytag Bravos from Fry's at
$699 marked down $200. Should be a good one right? Nope, S5
interference across 17m and 20m every 15 khz. Seems they are now
putting front load technology (computer/switcher) in top load
washers. The clue is if the washer will only accept HD detergent.

>So that's two 1K retail machines that I cannot use.

>Fry's to their credit, hauled off the Bravos washer and brought in
an LG I had selected. I had avoided the Korean alternative wanting
to buy US, however the salesman said it was their best line.

>It is clearly a better quality unit, and even though it is a front
loader with all the features, it is RF quiet. Hallalujah.

>The new washer is an LG WM0642H.

>I pray to the heavens that it cleans the cloths. ;-)

Don,

Many thanks!  I'm forwarding this email to the RFI list, where there
has been considerable discussion on this topic.

73,

Jim K9YC

Re: OT: Maytag Bravos RFI

Ed Gray W0SD
Jim,

What is the URL for the RFI reflector please?  I need to belong!  If one
makes a mistake and gets something that generates radio noise it can
take hours and hours to try and cure the problem. Some of the problems
are nearly impossible to cure as the basic design makes it prohibitive.

Ed W0SD

Re: OT: Maytag Bravos RFI

Jim Brown-10
On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 11:51:44 -0500, W0SD Ed Gray wrote:

> A valuable site would be one that hams would participate in and
>list items that are clean and don't interfere with the radio spectrum.

I agree. There IS a very good email reflector devoted to ham RFI. Access
it through contesting.com

73,

Jim K9YC

Re: OT: Maytag Bravos RFI

Craig Smith
This is indeed becoming more of an issue.

I recently replaced my furnace with an American Standard 95% efficient model
with a variable speed blower.  I was concerned about the blower, since it
uses a DC motor with electronic drive circuits.  Of course there isn't a lot
of information to be had about RFI on these kinds of appliances up-front.
So I held my breath and crossed my fingers during the install.  In this
case, I can report good news - no detectable noise from the furnace from 160
thru 20 (only places I've checked).  I could probably live with a noisy
washer (I don't do laundry during contests ;>), but it is nice to have heat!

 73  Craig  AC0DS

Re: OT: Maytag Bravos RFI

KARL MARDERIAN
N6XVT/Karl,
  No need for you to bring your K3. Just bring your portable shortwave
reciever. I think ever Ham should own one. It is so great for hunting
down interfearance  of all kinds.
    73 N6XVT
Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 24, 2009, at 9:51 AM, W0SD Ed Gray <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I would consider this a whole lot less OT than a lot of things I
> read. I found it very valuable. There seems to be a site for nearly
> everything on the internet anymore.  A valuable site would be one
> that hams would participate in and list items that are clean and
> don't interfere with the radio spectrum.  The switching supplies
> seem to be a major culprit and it is just going to get worse.  Even
> those that meet the FCC Part 15 Class B standards can be a real
> problem with our amateur equipment.  In roughly the last year I have
> had switching power supply noise from my new computer which made
> DXing on the low bands impossible until I solved with filtering on
> the AC line.  I had router noise across all the bands which made
> many, many frequenies un-useable some of which were places I operate
> a lot which I could not anymore.  Fortunately I pretty well cured
> this by slowing the speed. Both of those answers came from this
> reflector so I would not call help permitting me to use my K3's OT.
> My latest problem which I have not been able to solve is 24 khz
> switching noise from my Outback MPPT solar controller.  The
> harmonics from it make it all the way up to two meters. It is S-9+15
> db on 160M.
>
> This switching noise is a tough one as IMHO it should be cured at
> the source rather than the output where instead of stopping the
> switching frequency you have the whole spectrum of interference to
> deal with.  Of course if you start modifying internally you are
> going to void the warranty.
>
> At this point based on my last years experience before I buy
> anything different I am going to do my very best to try and find out
> about radio noise and if I can not then be sure I can return it
> without a penalty. Where possible one may have to bring a K3 with a
> gel battery to the store and check things out. The thing is there
> are a lot of things now that are noise sources that I for one would
> not expect as almost everything is going to switching supplies.
>
> Ed W0SD

> 09/24/09 05:52:00

Re: OT: Maytag Bravos RFI

N2TK
 Oops, that's a KenMore. Also some have asked what model - HE4T - 110-4508.
It is a few years old.
As my wife was using it this afternoon I checked all bands with both my
receive and transmit antennas. My antennas are no closer than 150' from the
house.

73,
N2TK, Tony

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 11:56:59 -0500, W0SD Ed Gray wrote:

>What is the URL for the RFI reflector please?  I need to belong

Join via contesting.com

73,

Jim K9YC