(OT) No kids, no lids

WILLIS COOKE

I actually remember hearing the CQs in the 1960s.  There was only one guy that did it as far as I know.  He had a two letter W call and was located in Arizona.  He camped on 20 meter SSB.  The call was
CQ old timer, no Ks, no WAs, no Kids, no Lids, no Space Cadets.  Since I had a K call, was in my 20s and an Air Force Officer I figured that he did not want to talk to me so I tuned on.  I don't remember his name or call but surely he is a Silent Key by now.  If old age didn't make him a Silent Key by now, the alphabet soup call signs would.  At the time the WB calls were just being assigned in California.

This Gentleman? went on my list of people I did not want to emulate when I grew up.  I still remember him and  I still do not want to emulate him.

Willis 'Cookie' Cooke
K5EWJ

Re: (OT) No kids, no lids

Sid K3SX
http://buffalokilowattbookends.blogharbor.com/_attachments/2819416/W2OY%20(calling%20CQ).mp3

Hear a recording of one of the old old timers. I guess each coast had at
least one.
Can we let this thread slip into the ether?

WILLIS COOKE wrote:
> I actually remember hearing the CQs in the 1960s.

Re: (OT) No kids, no lids

Bob Garrett
Willis,

You are thinking of Mike, W2OY, renound for his classic CQs.  I called him
with my WA3 call and actually had a nice QSO.  He was a character and yes is
now an SK.  Passaed at the top of his very high telephone pole fixing an
antenna.

73,  Bob K3UL

Re: (OT) No kids, no lids

Thom LaCosta-2
At 06:17 PM 05/09/09, Bob Garrett wrote:
>Willis,
>
>You are thinking of Mike, W2OY, renound for his classic
>CQs.  Passaed at the top of his very high telephone pole fixing an
>antenna.

One story that circulates is that he was so well loved by his
neighbors, they let him hang upside down up on the pole.

I had a qso with him once...I was as unimpressed with him as I was
with the patter....but then again....it was 75 meters.

Thom

Maybe not tonight!

Ken Alexander-2

Well, I was all set to jump in with a question about microphones and my K2, but the atmosphere around here seems a little too poisonous to be asking for help.  Maybe some other time.  I'll just keep using CW for now...

73,

Ken Alexander, VE3HLS
(no impressive credentials or other distinctions)

Re: (OT) No kids, no lids

WA2SI
> Can we let this thread slip into the ether?

I've always been a tad fascinated by a request such as this. If a group of
individuals enjoy discussing a certain topic and a few others do not, is it
not just as easy for the few to just delete or skip that particular thread
rather than speak for "we?"

Imagine coming upon a roundtable/ragchew re. a topic we didn't particularly
enjoy. Would we QSK and ask that the discussion cease... Or would we simply
QSY?

Just curious... No doubt Eric and/or Wayne will step in at some point and
shut this one down. After all, it's THEIR real estate we're strolling on.
<hihi>

Vy 73 de Bert
WA2SI

Re: Maybe not tonight! [END of thread]

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Guys - must be a slow sunspot day... :-)  This thread is ended too.

In general, please do not complain to the list. Send it to me instead.
Adding complaints on-list only stirs the pot and adds to the general
noise level.

73, Eric WA6HHQ
Elecraft List Moderator  (who actually took a day off with my wife -
with NO internet! :-)
---

Ken Alexander wrote:

> Well, I was all set to jump in with a question about microphones and my K2, but the atmosphere around here seems a little too poisonous to be asking for help.  Maybe some other time.  I'll just keep using CW for now...
>
> 73,
>
> Ken Alexander, VE3HLS
> (no impressive credentials or other distinctions)

_..._

Re: Maybe not tonight!

AC7AC
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Maybe not tonight!

Kevin Rock
   There is nothing worse than an unasked question.  I teach many classes for emergency communications.  Every once in a while I get a comment from someone about another person who did not understand something in my class.  I tell the person with whom I am speaking that I do not remember anyone asking me about that subject.  I created the class to teach people.  If they don't ask me about what they do not understand they waste the opportunity of learning.  I am more than happy to cease lecturing and answer their question to the best of my ability or, if I cannot, I write it down and promise to find an answer and give it to them later.  It hurts me to find out that someone did not ask.  I feel like I have let those people down by not explaining better.  Even though I realize I cannot answer a question which was never asked it is always with me: "How can I do better as a teacher?"  So, Ken, please ask your question before Ron explodes :)  I know he, too, enjoys teaching very mu
 ch and would be happy to give you an answer.  And then there is Don Wilhelm.  He lives to answer questions ;)  The collective intelligence of this reflector is astounding; please use it and forgive the curmudgeons.
   73 and GL,
      Kevin.  KD5ONS

>Sheesh Ken. There's no more impressive credential around here than a call
>sign like VE3HLS.
>
>Don't forget what the "delete" key is for. Works just like the tuning knob
>when you run into an insufferable bad operator on the air, HI!
>
>Ron AC7AC

Re: (OT) No kids, no lids

k6dgw
Bob Garrett wrote:

> You are thinking of Mike, W2OY, renound for his classic CQs.  I called
> him with my WA3 call and actually had a nice QSO.  He was a character
> and yes is now an SK.  Passaed at the top of his very high telephone
> pole fixing an antenna.

Or Blackie, W6HLH in San Leandro CA who became an SK not too many years
ago.  Right after getting my General, my Elmer [Art, W6RMK] let me use
his station on phone.  I heard Blackie calling CQ and answered him with
Art's call.  I didn't understand the CQ "embellishments."  We had a
couple of exchanges, and then I told him I was 14 and he was one of my
first phone Q's, from my Elmer's station and that my call was now K6DGW.
  When I turned it back to him, he was calling CQ again.  I figured I'd
really done something wrong, but Art told me who this guy was and to
ignore him.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2009 Cal QSO Party  3-4 Oct 2009
- www.cqp.org