OT: RF connector selection

Steve Jackson-5
Bill

On paper, you're right.  For the vast majority of
hams, N connectors are silly.

However, there are many other considerations of
station design that influence connector choice.

Most of my connections are outdoors and my station is
built with nearly 100% hardline.  All cables can be
used and swapped for any frequency I might use, 1.8
MHz to 2.4 GHz, and I frequently play around with odds
and ends like this.

If I was a typical ham, running an HF/VHF station
employing conventional coax, then that would probably
also mean I'd use the PL-259.  But I am not the
typical ham.

Another consideration is the sheer amount of cables
and connectors I have, probably 100+ connections, and
almost a half-mile of cable.  The N connector is
significantly more durable and reliable than the
PL-259 when installed and supported properly; in fact,
only the 7-16 DIN is more durable in practice.  I
simply can not afford the time to maintain multiple
connector types.

Correctly installed, an N fitting should never be
subject to a pull-stress of the type you describe, and
I have never heard of a thermally related failure, in
22 years of broadcast engineering work, in many
climates.

No commercial communications infrastructure today uses
the PL-259 and for good reason.  Most hams need to
save a buck or two and that is fine, but for a truly
flexible and reliable installation, there's no way I'd
select the PL-259.

/steve