OT: RS232 ports on newest desktop computer motherboards

OT: RS232 ports on newest desktop computer motherboards

David Windisch
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Brgds,
Dave, N3HE
Cincinnati OH

Re: OT: RS232 ports on newest desktop computer motherboards

alsopb
The mobo I had also had an LPT port pin connector on board.  The only
difficulty was that it was a non-standard sized connector and the pin
numbers had different functions than usual LPT connectors.

Also keep in mind there are at least two standards for the pin
numberings on the onboard mobo connectors.  I went through this and
ended up having to use an "european" cable to get the port to work.

73 de Brian/K3KO

On 2/14/2012 16:05, David Windisch wrote:

> Nothing new here, I'm sure; I simply was happily reminded of this during
> research on gaming machine motherboard candidates.
>
> The mobo mfrs seem to disguise the naked (9-pin!) RS232 headers on their
> boards with names like "COM", "LEGACY", etc.
>
> Have a look at your own board's naked headers, if you're wanting to avoid
> converter-cable problems involving USBx, where x varies from zero to
> infinity.  The header-to-9pin-dogbone-connector ribbon-cable things are
> available to reach from the header to the card-slot on the case backdrop.
> Then you can use LP-Bridge to share the port.
>
> If you're interested in the research results, email me off-reflector via the
> ARRL email reflector, thanks.
>
> Brgds,
> Dave, N3HE

> -----