OT: Ticks, Chiggers and Mosquitoes

Locked 3 messages Options

OT: Ticks, Chiggers and Mosquitoes

Edward R Cole
No problem with those critters in Alaska, we either treat them with
-20 degrees wx or let the 23 varieties of mosquitos eat them
(Ha!).  I have used 100% DEET insect spray to good advantage.  If one
is going into the blackfly area then gloves and hightop boots with
sleeves and pants closed with rubberbands and a head net is
advisable.  Standard gear for working in the interior of AK in the bush.

1980 I was working at 6200 feet on a mountain top near the Yukon
Territory border and experience a "black cloud" of mosquitos moving
up the mountain to reach us - so thick it blots out the sun!  We
called back the helicopter to vacate the mountain as no work could be
done (installing a repeater for Customs Service).  Treeline is about 1200feet.

73, Ed - KL7UW, WD2XSH/45

Re: OT: Ticks, Chiggers and Mosquitoes

Dave New, N8SBE
Unfortunately, 100% DEET has been unavailable in the 'lower 48' for
several years, now.  I covet the supply I have left from my days of
going fishing with the in-laws in upper Saskatchewan.

I guess when I run out, I can do a 'border run', as I live in SE
Michigan.  I hear it is still sold in Canada.

73,

-- Dave, N8SBE

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Administrator
Folks - we closed this thread yesterday.

73,
Eric
List moderator..
---