OT: mag loops, USB converters

inventor61 .
>>  So, what have people experienced with their USB Converters when running
the big amp?

I use a Digi Edgeport 8-spigot converter rather than the 1-port 'consumer'
grade USB-serial converters many hams use.
I got mine used surplus and paid less per port than many single-port
converter 'dongles' cost.
Even at full blat on 160, between the 'clean' RF installation and the USB
converter, I have no problems driving
many serial ports running serial comms to all kinds of shack accessories.
VERY reliable!!  So, it can be done.

>> Regarding magnetic loops ...

Here's a really good web site ...

http://www.magneticloopantenna.com/

I built a 40 meter mag loop out of 1 5/8" Heliax, excited by a Faraday
loop.  It is just over 10' in diameter!
The Java-type calculator (available from the website) shows 91.2% efficiency
and that jives with experience.
In many instances, this big loop, with its bottom just about 8' over ground
trounces a nearby conventional dipole at 40 feet.
I have tuned it with a vacuum variable capacitor, and run the power up to
100W.
The 5 kV vacuum cap was warranted due to the calculated ~3 kV across it.
Even with the calculated Q of 264, the resonance is nice and smooth across
the whole lower end of the CW subband.
Note that this monstrosity is certainly not what most people 'think' of when
they consider magnetic loop antennas for HF!
I have smaller loops, some of which are quite portable, for higher bands (20
meters) and these are only 5' across.
Mine almost always use a scrap/surplus piece of Heliax feedline as the
radiating element.  It's too easy an option to ignore.
Most folks think magnetic loops as a little desktop type thing (2' or 3'
diameter) and these are usually far better as a RX antenna.
But it most certainly possible to make a TX mag loop that works very well
and gives other similar-sized antennas a real run for their money.
Oh, and, the directionality and narrow bandwidth are wonderful QRN/QRM
fighters on RX.

Steve KZ1X/4
K1, K2, K3, etc.